Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 09:04   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Victron isolation transformers, ABYC compliance, surveys

I am planning an upcoming shore power refit.

I'm planning to install a Victron dual-voltage/autodetect isolation transformer and a Victron Multiplus inverter/charger as the front end of my shore power system. My boat is wired for 120V 30A shore power, which I don't intend to change.

Victron isolation transformers are not in compliance with ABYC standards because they lack the safety shield between windings that the standards require. At present there appear to be no ABYC compliant isolation transformers available for purchase in a size suitable for my boat, though they have been available in years past (from Charles Industries) and some vendors have teased upcoming products. When these products were available, they were considerably heavier, considerably louder, and ran considerably hotter than the toroidal designs used by Victron (among others).

The ABYC requirement for a shield between windings has not been adopted outside the USA and some marine electricians and electrical engineers question whether it provides a meaningful improvement in safety.

My questions:

1) Is the ABYC likely to drop the requirement for the shield? If so, when?

2) Does anyone have any actual experience with (U.S.-based) marine surveyors encountering Victron isolation transformers? Was there any concern expressed in the survey regarding the installation?

3) Have any marine surveyors participating here received any guidance from "on high" regarding isolation transformers? What have you been told?

4) Has anyone had any experience with insurance acceptance of a Victron isolation transformer that was mentioned in a survey report?
Old Today, 11:22   #2

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56
Re: Victron isolation transformers, ABYC compliance, surveys

Well, I understand the desire to install things to a Standard, and ABYC is a good one but this is one of two areas I've decided to deviate from the E-11 standards. The other is related to grounding with an aluminum hull.

Here is an isolation transformer that meets the standard for a shield: https://hubbellcdn.com/literature/Wi...ansformers.pdf

In this case I'm not worried about:
- the actual safety of a Victron unit as it meets European standards
- a surveyor calling it out
- a problem with insurance.

But that's me.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Victron isolation transformers, ABYC compliance, surveys

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
Here is an isolation transformer that meets the standard for a shield: https://hubbellcdn.com/literature/Wi...ansformers.pdf

FWIW the smallest one is 15 kva, I need 3 kva.

Tags
survey, Victron