Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2021, 17:46   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 389
Victron Lithium & BMS with existing Magnum Inverter/Charger?

Hello everyone & Happy New Year!

I am installing a new Victron lithium house battery and Smart BMS 12/200. I have an existing Magnum Magnasine Inverter/Charger and a new Magnum ME-ARC controller. I was told (and Victron literature says) if using a 3rd party charger, then I also need to use a Cyrix Li-Charge to prevent overcharging.

First, I guess am still baffled as to what is controlling what! Doesn't the ME-ARC control the charger and should be setup to prevent overcharging through its settings? Is the Li-Charge only there as a fail-safe in case the ME-ARC doesn't shut things off?

Second, will the ME-ARC still be able to provide relevant information on the battery system? I know the smart BMS has an app, but would like to still have the ME-ARC useful.

Any additional insight is appreciated. Thank you!
Aleainc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter, lithium