Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2020, 01:55   #1

Victron MPPT and BM setting

Please excuse me for asking very basically question to some here .
Trojan T145 6v batteries bank of 4 parallel @ 12v
Relooking at my setting for my Victron MPPT
Absorption voltage ?
Float voltage ?
Trojan date sheet give
Bulk charge 14.82v @12v
Float charge 13.5v @12v
What would be the given Absorption voltage ?
I take it float charge would be 13.5?
One stage further the Victron BM
Charged voltage , I have mine set at 14.1 , would that be correct ? Looking at the Trojan date sheet it give bulk charge 14.82
Thanks
medsailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 12:27   #2

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'
Re: Victron MPPT and BM setting

Absorption voltage is "Constant Voltage" at 14.82 in your instance. Voltage rises throughout the bulk phase "Constant Current" until it reaches that set point. Absorption is a timed event before dropping to float.
I don't know what you mean by "charged voltage"
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 12:39   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Victron MPPT and BM setting

This thread could go the way of anchors, guns, and multi vs. mono, but...

On the MPPT bulk/absorption are the same thing, the maximum voltage at which you charge the batteries. The remaining question is "for how long?" do you keep them at this voltage. You can either refer to Trojan or general guides, but this will also depend on your use and charging profile (if you rarely get the batteries fully charged then you probably want a longer absorption time, if you get them fully charged every day then shorter).

For the BM, the "charged voltage" is the point at which it resets itself to 100% SOC. Lots of discussion on that subject too, but the most common would be to have this match your absorption voltage setting in the charger. Depending on which BM there may also be Tail Current and Charged Detection Time settings that allow you to fine-tune the point where the BM decides the battery is at 100% SOC.

[Edit] looks like Trojan recommends 4 hours as a maximum absorption time for that type of battery:

Trojan does make a bit of a distinction between bulk and absorption, with absorption set at 14.4-14.7, so a rise to the bulk point, then a slight drop to absorption, although most controllers don't have this setting.

https://www.solaris-shop.com/content...s%20Manual.pdf
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mppt