Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 04:28   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Victron MPPTs unrepairable now and downgrade in quality

Another proof of lovely private equity Victron scaling down on quality through the backdoor.

https://youtu.be/9LGiwhAMLn0?si=aghdCB8OIPeBg-5o

MPPT are completely potted in now and not repairable anymore even when just the fuse blows. look also at the sloppy glue job on the capacitor in the middle of the board. 50A fuse in a 70A controller….
Also not sure what that causes when you are overpaneling now…
And these are not the cheap but the expensive 150 and 250V series….
Absolute noGo Victron
Victron lowered the prices on MPPTs, now you know how they achieved this….to support the energy change by creating unrepairable 700Euro products, can it be more pervert?

Same with the batteries switching from Winston cells to half priced lower quality Calbs (good quality cells but it’s not the Rolce Royce top notch that can be charged below 0 degrees) and small to Noname but raised the prices.
Same with Multiplus 2 where a lot of downgrades happens starting with metall case, worse transformers, cheaper PCB boards and change in curcuit design to more HF with resulting lower peak capabilities because hybrid design is now much more HF which is cheaper…

Shame on Victron, also in the environment aspects creating throw away products…
Buy the old stuff like MP1, that is quality. The new…

Was about to buy the 150 series when adding more solar but will get the Studer MPPTs which are higher quality and can be repaired if ever needed.
Victron was my goto on MPPTs…
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:21   #2

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: Victron MPPTs unrepairable now and downgrade in quality

Your negative posting of Victron products is based on one 16 minute video of a not too credible individual making vague innuendos about the quality of the build?

Interesting that if those controllers really were 2023 build as stated in the video, then they were only 1 year into their 5 year Victron Warranty, and would have been replaced free of charge before your U-tube warrior took them apart and voided the warranty.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:42   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I’ll stick with Victron as they have provided several years of trouble free service.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:44   #4

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
50A fuse in a 70A controller….
If this is true, than its worth the negative posting
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Your negative posting of Victron products is based on one 16 minute video of a not too credible individual making vague innuendos about the quality of the build?

Interesting that if those controllers really were 2023 build as stated in the video, then they were only 1 year into their 5 year Victron Warranty, and would have been replaced free of charge before your U-tube warrior took them apart and voided the warranty.
My post is based what i see, not his comments. And not only this video but it showed clearly how it’s build.

And regarding warranty goes over the dealer who eg simply refuse the warranty not to deal with and Victron is meanwhile dealt warranty via outsourced call centers being not very approval friendly either.

My Orion Phönix 50-1-1, another „quality product“ was getting over 70 degrees hot charging lithium and melted a nearby correctly speced 60 degrees insulation cable (outside engine room) and was also blowing the AC breaker when switch on the first time. Due to Victron both normal, it’s getting up to 78 degrees case temperature due to passive cooling and fuse blows because of surge from the charging capacitors, I should put a bigger 16A fuse instead the 10A (it’s 50A so 700W). Both not mentioned of any sort in the manual or datasheets so you can see this before buying.
Well the 3x1mm2 cable used and there from FP for the former charger is only rated for max. 10A and Victron manual doesn‘t state that a 3x1.5mm cable with a 16A breaker must be used (even its a 700w charger) or it’s only allowed to install in engine rooms or cables nearby must be speced min 100 degrees isolation. The origin of this it’s clearly designed as lead charger and was reprogrammed to also support lithium as charging AGM or FLA was no issue and didn’t get nearly as hot or tripping the 10A breaker.

warranty claim denied in first place, after my lawyer wrote a letter to the local to my parents Victron dealer they took it back.
Old Today, 06:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
If this is true, than its worth the negative posting
Watch the video, it’s a 150/70 controller, input fuse 50 and output fuse 50A.
Old Today, 06:51   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Watch the video, it’s a 150/70 controller, input fuse 50 and output fuse 50A.

There are two 50A fuses shown. Victron controllers normally only fuse the output. I suspect the two 50A fuses are in parallel to protect the output. (Two 50A fuses in parallel would theoretically permit 100A).

It is not unusual for people to run these controllers at their maximum output. Whenever there are questions converning the sizing of solar controllers there are usually posts recomending "overpanelling" (wrongly in my view). If these controllers could not manage their rated 70A output (50A input) we would have heard about this by now.

If a single 50A fuse was used in the hot environment inside the solar controller would blow reasonably rapidly with 70A.
Old Today, 06:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I’ll stick with Victron as they have provided several years of trouble free service.
The old yes…the new…
This post means also repair the old you have when it breaks, most new are worse quality. I have nearly all Victron too but will be very careful what I buy from them in the future and eg bigger MPPT definitely not Victron anymore, the small cheap series ok.
The MP1 will be replaced by Studer extender when reconfiguring my 12V system to 24V, speced to 3500W but has internals comparable to the Victrons Quattro 5000W. They garuntee delivering spec under all working conditions, not Victrons derating which in reality makes out of a 3000W inverter a 2000W one if you get into hotter climates then Scandinavia.

There are reason a lot professionals moving away from Victron to especially Studer. And because Studer issued a 10years warranty on all their products Victron had to follow…but look at the 10 year Victron warranty not really one and with a lot of holes to get out.
Victron was all quality, now some are some not. You have to watch out what you are buying from them.
Also the specs before where overspeced delivering specs also under not ideal conditions with a lot of safety margin, that’s also a main reason they worked so flawlessly. That’s gone too on many new products, they deliver spec under perfect conditions Victron states.
An example the 30A DC2DC charger delivers max 27A mostly 25A so it’s a 25A and not a 30A one. The old charger deliver 10 till 20% more then speced.

But because there are many customers like you they just continue what they do continue melking the cow….

Tags
mppt, repair, Victron