Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2022, 03:16   #31

Boat: Yamaha 33
Re: Victron Multi setup/config questions

If you want to stop charging until the batteries are more depleted you can switch to inverter only. That turns the charger off.

If the batteries are full they'll drop from absorption to float fairly quickly, unless you have programmed fixed times into the Multi. This is where adaptive + battery safe comes into play.

Don't forget to ground the case. It's not optional.
MerMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 03:59   #32
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

MerMike #31:
Quote:
If you want to stop charging until the batteries are more depleted you can switch to inverter only.
There is no "inverter only" position on the MultiPlus itself or on the Digital Multi Control. The choices are:
"ON"-I/C is passing qualified AC power through the unit (when available) and using a portion of it to power the charging function of the I/C. The I/C is in synch with the incoming AC and will switch to inverter function within 20mSec on loss of incoming AC and start inverting.
"OFF"-I/C is off, won't charge, pass through or invert.
"CHARGER ONLY"-if qualified AC power is available will pass through the AC and charge the batteries. The I/C will not go into the inverter function on loss of incoming AC.

The OP could minimize the amount of charging current by decreasing the amount of AC that is utilized by the charger function by dialing the rheostat on the digital multi control down to an acceptably small number.

You are correct about dropping thru into float quickly when using the Adaptive + Battery Safe feature and you are doubly correct about grounding the case. 90% of the boats I work on do not have the required case ground on inverters, inverter/chargers and battery chargers with a metal case.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 12:12   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
MerMike #31:

There is no "inverter only" position on the MultiPlus itself or on the Digital Multi Control. The choices are:
"ON"-I/C is passing qualified AC power through the unit (when available) and using a portion of it to power the charging function of the I/C. The I/C is in synch with the incoming AC and will switch to inverter function within 20mSec on loss of incoming AC and start inverting.
"OFF"-I/C is off, won't charge, pass through or invert.
"CHARGER ONLY"-if qualified AC power is available will pass through the AC and charge the batteries. The I/C will not go into the inverter function on loss of incoming AC.

The OP could minimize the amount of charging current by decreasing the amount of AC that is utilized by the charger function by dialing the rheostat on the digital multi control down to an acceptably small number.

You are correct about dropping thru into float quickly when using the Adaptive + Battery Safe feature and you are doubly correct about grounding the case. 90% of the boats I work on do not have the required case ground on inverters, inverter/chargers and battery chargers with a metal case.
I forgot that there is no physical switch for "Inverter only". The choice is only available through a Venus or other GX device. There really should be one, though flipping the AC-In disconnect would do the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	251186  
Old 14-01-2022, 09:42   #34

Boat: Hunter 50cc

One more point. Always turn on the DC power first to the Multiplus before applying AC power. Always turn off the AC power before turning off the DC.
This also applies to MPPT units from Victron.

Another point on removing the front panel of the Multiplus, BE VERY CAREFUL. Make certain you have the LEDs properly aligned before putting in the screws. The top LEDs break loose very easily and you cannot replace them without replacing the main board. VERY EXPENSIVE.
Good luck. Took me about a year to appreciate the Victron over my old Magnum. I have 2 Multiplus 3000 outputting 240 AC US style. The new VE connect makes programming them much easier. Highly recommend the VRM. I can check the system from anywhere with the internet.
Just upgraded with an added Skylla IP65 charger. This has a separate AC connector on the stern of the boat that will take any type of shore power. 100 volts to 240 volts and any frequency. I can charge the batteries from any electrical source now without having to go through transformers to the Multiplus. Heading off to the south pacific and didn't want to have a hassle with all the different shore power setups. I have 4 x 300 amp Victron lithium batteries and all electric boat, stove and cooktop so I depend on the Multiplus units to make lots of AC. 1200 watts of solar so only plug into shore power to run the Air Con overnight.
Had to update my CAN VU GX to the new GX touch 50 for all of the components. Anyone looking for a 1.5 year old CAN VU GX and all the cables let me know.
jackrabbit59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 11:37   #35

Boat: Norman Cross, Ray Pond Trimaran, 50

@jackrabbit59

as you mention

"Always turn on the DC power first to the Multiplus before applying AC power. Always turn off the AC power before turning off the DC.
This also applies to MPPT units from Victron."

please allow a question - what is the reasoning behind this switch on/off order?
volksbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 13:55   #36

Boat: Hunter 50cc

The Victron installer said it had to do with no where for the AC charging current to go if the DC was not connected first. The electronics are powered from the DC current side. So the unit is not fully powered on until DC is applied.
Same with the MPPT and solar panels. DC side must be on for the unit to have power. Otherwise you throw all of the solar panel current to a dead end.
I did find in the documentation one time that this is the way Victron said to power up the units. But I couldn't tell you at this point where it was. I have asked some other Victron installers and they agreed with this method.
I have over $20K in Victron equipment on my boat so I don't take any chances.
Just my 2 cents worth.
jackrabbit59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 20:41   #37
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

@jackrabbit59:
The MultiPlus will power up from either DC or AC. There is no preferred order in applying power to the unit.
Old 16-01-2022, 02:03   #38

Victron has a number of useful videos on installation. One on setting up a 3 phase system mentions you can power them up with either AC or DC.

As far as the MPPT controllers, I have heard that said, but have never seen it in any of Victron's documentation.
Old 16-01-2022, 05:34   #39
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Regarding the sequence of bringing Victron MPPT controllers on line; from the manual for the Victron MPPT 100/30 and 100/50:
Quote:
The solar charger will power up as soon as it has been connected to a battery and/or to a solar panel. As soon as the solar charger has been powered up, it can communicate via the VE.Direct port and Bluetooth. The the solar charger's data can be read out and setting configurations can be made using the VictronConnect or the optional display.
Some other manufacturers' solar controllers must be connected to the battery bank first to power up the controller's electronics before the PV array is connected. Not Victron.
Old 16-01-2022, 05:45   #40
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pulling the thread a little further-Regarding the sequence of bringing Victron MPPT controllers on line; from the manual for the Victron MPPT 100/30 and 100/50 for the first time

Quote:
Confirm correct battery polarity, then connect the battery (this will allow the solar charger to recognize the system voltage).
Once the MPPT has sensed battery voltage and made the internal adjustments, the sequence of powering either the array or the battery bank first does not matter.
Old 19-01-2022, 14:19   #41

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Pulling the thread a little further-Regarding the sequence of bringing Victron MPPT controllers on line; from the manual for the Victron MPPT 100/30 and 100/50 for the first time

Once the MPPT has sensed battery voltage and made the internal adjustments, the sequence of powering either the array or the battery bank first does not matter.

I’ve got one VE MPPT solar controller (150/100) for my 990W of panels over my davits. I’ve got a 30A breaker not far from the panels on the +ve wire coming from the panels (which carries 100+ V due to three panels in series). From there the wires go 9m to the salon, where the controller is located. The 13.8V output of the controller goes through a 90A breaker, then to the +ve charge bus.

Since the VE solar controller has a switch to disable the charger while the panels are outputting power and the order of subsequent connection doesn’t matter, I assume that it’s OK to open the breaker on the solar controller output when I want to work on the rest of the electrical system and don’t want any solar power coming in? Covering the panels is a pain and always seems to have a bit of output anyway.

In a couple of months we will be adding another two VE solar controllers for 1.6KW of new panels, with a long run of 70V from the panels and short run with a breaker to the +ve charge bus. I’m thinking of instead putting the three solar outputs onto their own bus bar and to put a switch between the solar bus and the +ve charge bus. Would that be OK?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 04:48   #42

This would be ok with a couple of caveats. I'd still put a breaker on each controller's output to protect and isolate it in case of a fault. And I'd turn charging off in each controller before disconnecting the bus.
Old 20-01-2022, 06:22   #43
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

@fxytky #41
Quote:
Since the VE solar controller has a switch to disable the charger while the panels are outputting power and the order of subsequent connection doesn’t matter, I assume that it’s OK to open the breaker on the solar controller output when I want to work on the rest of the electrical system and don’t want any solar power coming in? Covering the panels is a pain and always seems to have a bit of output anyway.
Yes, it is ok to open the MPPT output CB.

Quote:
In a couple of months we will be adding another two VE solar controllers for 1.6KW of new panels, with a long run of 70V from the panels and short run with a breaker to the +ve charge bus. I’m thinking of instead putting the three solar outputs onto their own bus bar and to put a switch between the solar bus and the +ve charge bus. Would that be OK?
If I understand you, no. Each and every B+ (+ve) conductor on a boat, with the exception of the starter circuit, requires over current protection at its connection to a non self limiting source.