Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 20:47   #1

Boat: Mason 44
Victron Multiplus for US and EU voltages

Reading the specs for the Victron 3000 Multiplus, it's unclear if this is capable of running off of both US 110v and EU 220v. It mentions being able to use dual-phase 220, but I don't know if that means it can actually use both voltages.

The planned usage here is we will start our cruise in the US, then Caribbean, with eventual goal being to spend a season in the Mediterranean. Would like to be able to plug into shore power when available. I've seen 110/220 transformers, and they are huge and extremely heavy. Does anyone know if the Victron unit can be used on both voltage systems? We only need the inverter to provide 100v inside the boat.
maclysaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 22:06   #2

Re: Victron Multiplus for US and EU voltages

No. You can buy the 120 version or 230 version. But you can put an auto transformer infront of it to change the voltage
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:15   #3

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

It is imperfect, but my setup for a euro boat that is currently in the Americas is a 230v euro single phase inverter/charger plus a separate universal voltage battery charger that works with pretty much any power in the world. When I’m somewhere without 230v single phase (all of N America) and I plugin, my inverter is smart enough to notice power is out of spec and not connect, meanwhile the charger connect as usual to almost any kind of power and starts charging batteries. The house AC power is then supplied by the inverter running off the batteries. Since the battery charger is 100a, it more than keeps up with what the inverter is drawing.

I like this better than the transformer approach because I always get nice clean 50hz power perfectly in spec. A transformer typically doesn’t convert frequency so that means all your equipment has to deal with variable quality power.

Only fly in the ointment is we can’t run air conditioning, or washer/dryer at the dock with this setup without an inverter upgrade. Which I am contemplating.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:55   #4

Boat: Mason 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthetrees View Post
Only fly in the ointment is we can’t run air conditioning, or washer/dryer at the dock with this setup without an inverter upgrade. Which I am contemplating.
This sounds like a good workaround. I'd be looking at the opposite setup - a US-voltage boat in Europe, so all I need is a separate 230v charger. I don't like the idea of the transformer - for the same reasons. We're already resigned that we can't run AC/heater from the inverter.

I'm curious if you've looked into dual-voltage inverters?
maclysaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 18:16   #5

The problem is not so much the voltage. That's easy to transform. it's the 50hz vs 60hz frequency. There's no reasonably priced converter for frequency. Some AC equipment can run on either but most can't. The Victron Multi can't - although the chargers can.

Besides Air Conditioners - microwaves and dryers are usually tied to a specific frequency. Look for anything with an AC motor and find if it says 60hz or 50/60hz

But many cruisers get away running ac stuff on the wrong frequency. A 60hz motor will run slower on 50hz - which can cause it to overheat. But not always.

So the plan of using a charger that takes either 50hz or 60hz and then an inverter that makes 110v 60hz is a good plan - except for devices that take too many amps such as air conditioning.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote