Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 19:49   #1

Volt Meter Recomedations?

I'm looking for a small footprint, permanent mount, digital volt meter, or possibly a volt/ohm meter. Something I can mount in a prominent location that will allow me to view at a glance the real time battery voltage.

Anybody have a product that they like and would recommend?
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 19:59   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: volt meter recomedations?

check ebay (and maybe amazon). i paid less than ten dollars for a digital voltmeter that goes to two decimal places. checked it against my multimeter and was right on. i had to build a little case for it and added an on/off switch - cost under ten dollars. i've had it two years now....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 20:15   #3

Yeah, I see a lot of them on bay and amazon, and at more than reasonable prices, most from PRC. My experience with products from PRC is that it hit or miss as far as quality. So, is the one you have from PRC or domestic to the US?
Old 08-10-2012, 20:45   #4

Boat: Schucker 436

If you have an outboard with no charging capability, it would be well worth it to get a digital meter with an adjustable dimmer to save some electricity. Getting one with an adjustable low voltage alarm setting would give you an additional safety factor. Blue Seas has one with bright red numbers. It's not cheap, I've used lots of them on different boats and had no problems.
RUSTYNAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 21:03   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Both Newmar and Blue Sea sell nice meters but they are fairly large.
I had a small boat powered by a trolling motor and I wanted to know how much voltage I had as I used it. I mounted one of these on the battery box : Digital Panel Meters by Martel - Products - Digital Panel Meters, Voltmeters, Ammeters, Digital Displays

[QM-100V] Quick Mount Single Hole Mounting Splash Proof 2-Wire Volt MeterPrice $40.60 View the data sheet
[Buy This Item Online]
Digital Panel Meters by Martel - Digital Panel Meters, Voltmeters, Ammeters, Digital Displays

It required one 1/4" hole to mount it to the box. The data sheet says it draws 3ma.
Old 08-10-2012, 21:41   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Datel Digital Meters Home - DatelMeters.com

A US company with a top reputation.

I picked up a couple of the ebay Chinese voltmeters earlier this year and haven't had a chance to find out what their problem is, but either they were miscalibrated or simply not as accurate as advertised. The two disagree with each other AND if I believe them, the charger is out of whack as well. That the plastic face panel warped in the heat and fell off one didn't add to my confidence. But for the price, I figured I'd try them, they're in a non-critical use.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 21:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
I'm looking for a small footprint, permanent mount, digital volt meter, or possibly a volt/ohm meter. Something I can mount in a prominent location that will allow me to view at a glance the real time battery voltage.

Anybody have a product that they like and would recommend?
I have one of these on my dirtbike and really like it. It's about 1"x3/4 or so, totally sealed super easy to install in a panel.

Add-on Accessories Store
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20   #8

Re: Volt Meter Recomedations?

Thanks guys! I'll check into them.