Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2018, 11:17   #1

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Waeco coolmatic fridge

I was given a a small waeco coolmatic fridge of about 2-3 ft2. It uses the Danfoss seacop BD35 12v/110v compressor. When I plug it in to 110v nothing happens. I havn't tried it on 12v yet because the wires were cut but in the absence of an owners manual I was wondering if there is anything one needs to do other than plug it in for it to run. Do they switch automatically from one power source to the other or is there some hidden switch i'm not finding? It is possible it does not work as it was a takeout at work but I was under the impression it was just being replaced by a custom top opening one for which I built the cabinet for the boat.
Any help much appreciated.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 11:31   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Waeco coolmatic fridge

I think you have just found out why you were given it.

Worth opening it up and giving it 12v to see if it makes a difference, it may be the 110v side of a transformer that is knackered.

If you do, then use heavy duty wiring for the 12v because they really don't work well with thin wires as I found out the first time. New wire and a switch to 24v supply ended up freezing me sandwiches the first time.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 12:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it doesn’t run, it’s very likely the thermostat.
If it has the controller on the side of the compressor short the C and T connectors together and it will run.
I have never worked with a portable icebox with a Danfoss compressor, but doubt it has the controller, a picture may help.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 12:44   #4

(Dont know where 12v wire cut.) If it has the 12volt wire connected on the outside find the positive & negative ends and connect directly to a battery. (The 110 is not working. If it did waeco automatically switches to run on 110 if both 12volt and 110 plugged in). Mine still working 12yr on 12 volt only ! Any questions just ask.
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 12:46   #5

If it does not turn on it is not the thermostat.
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 15:04   #6

Boat: Whitby 42

Have had one for years. The 110AC quit working a long time ago, still works good on DC. The control module on ours is impossible to remove or I would replace it. Have done so on a 110/12 fridge but as I said, in the Coolmatic you just can't get to it.
I may have a diagram for the fridge somewhere, same compressor and all. I'll try to find it if you think it might help. It doesn't cover the thermostat board but shows the connection to the control module.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 20:03   #7

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Thanks guys, I will get it hooked up to 12v in the next few days and see if that works. This is not a portable but rather a small front opening built in model. It has good access to the compressor as its up high in the back so as long as its not installed its all out in the open. I took it out of a customers boat and built a bigger better insulated top loader with a water cooled version of the same compressor as the boat was going south to the Bahamas so it was not removed because there was anything wrong with it necessarily. I cut the 12v wires to it and unplugged the 110v when I removed it so I just need to get some wire and terminals and a charged battery.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote