Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2024, 12:36   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Wago vs. crimping?

I am in the process of leading wires for solar panels back to MPPT by batteries. I had planned to crimp w heat shrink connectors. It is what I have done for the past 20 years.

But in poking around in my 2023 boat, I noticed that the manufacturer has used wagos all over. All the led light pucks attach to power/gnd lines w wago. Water pump is wago.

So is wago now acceptable way to connect rather than crimping?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 12:42   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Wago vs. crimping?

I don't have an answer as to whether it's acceptable or not -- I'm sure it doesn't meet ABYC standards at least. However, I do find the wago connectors are incredibly useful and I don't mind using them for non-critical applications on the boat.

They don't seal against water intrusion compared to a sealed crimp, but they are so incredibly easy to inspect/replace, that you could reasonably argue they are better for some applications.

For solar charging applications, I would just make sure that they're rated for the current/voltage that you'll be using them for.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 12:45   #3

They are great, they are now allowed via NEC code and lots of younger electricians use them instead of wire nuts. Great in a box with many wires (instead of trying to twist 4 neutrals in a wire nut, wago is so much easier.)

They have been popular in Europe for quite a while, my boat was made in Germany, maybe that is why?
Old 20-06-2024, 12:51   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Yeah they are definitely way more popular in Europe, and I don't know how many electrians are using them in the US yet. For the DIYer though, I think most people just don't know they exist. Once I learned about them via a European YouTuber I follow, they changed my life and I use them for projects at home all the time.

Unlike the wire nut connectors, they can be re-used indefinitely, and don't damage the wire, each wire gets its own slot, and they secure the wire more robustly in my experience.

The wire nut type connectors are generally frowned upon on boats, and I generally agree they shouldn't be used for long term application. But the Wago connectors I feel differently about because of the points above.

Probably order of preference:
Sealed and crimped > Wago >> Wire nut
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 12:55   #5

Wirenuts on boats, NO NO NO.

I was talking about in the home. Wago is allowed under NEC to replace wirenuts. Most people don't pretwist romex like they are supposed prior to putting on the wirenut and then twisting some more. So if you just shove 4 bare wires into a wire nut and twist, possibly the middle wire is not in full contact. Intermittent neutral is the bane of troubleshooting AC.
Old 20-06-2024, 13:02   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380

Nate at Explorist.life did a good video on Wago's. We used them at home and one the boat. They are way better than crimping.

https://youtu.be/7fzfaEsrp5g?si=McLr-M0Zgzj7vzpL

Also here is an article on them.

https://www.proboat.com/2016/09/term...or-compliance/

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 13:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Nate at Explorist.life did a good video on Wago's. We used them at home and one the boat. They are way better than crimping.
I might agree if only there was some way to seal them from humidity corrosion, like a proper heat shrink terminal.

I use them on instrument network wiring, but not on wires carrying any significant current.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 13:55   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
I don't have an answer as to whether it's acceptable or not -- I'm sure it doesn't meet ABYC standards at least....

Not strictly true. The code does not address them by name and the code does have allowances for spring-pressure connections. WAGO meet the pull-test requirements (I've tested them) and unlike wire nuts they do not contain materials subject to galvanic corrosion.

BTW, wire nuts are permitted by USCG if they are in a junction box. Not sayin' I like them or recommend them, and many connectors are poor outside of a box. A terminal strip or any manner of uninsulated terminal in a location where gear could shift against it is very bad, and I see that all the time. Any connection without some sort of strain relief or protection from getting tugged is bad.

I'd go with crimps for solar, but I always have WAGOs in my bag for testing and temporary things; you can disconnect without damamge.

Just as an experiment, 4 years ago I installed a low-voltage lighting system with 30 WAGOs outside my house, 100% in the weather. It was cold and I was in a hurry. My wife was coming home from the hospital and needed light. Zero failures. I would not do it that way on the boat, but I could. I did hook up my anchor light with WAGOs 5 years ago. It works. There is zero wire strain and there is a small sealed junction box under the light.

I would not use WAGOs anywhere I thought seawater was a possibility. I wouldn't use them anywhere seawater could wick into the insulation. Certainly not on-deck or in the bilge.

One final thought to consider. We love to heat shrink everything. I promise you that few or none of the wires inside a radio, heater, or air conditioner are sealed. Just sayin' it depends on the location and how wet your boat is. My PDQ is drier than my house.
Old 20-06-2024, 14:01   #9

I believe the ABYC is considering approving them.

I would have two caveats:
- water resistance and corrosion, like everyone else
- the prevalence of knockoffs. If you're paying for official certified Wagos, fine. But will the average punter know to avoid the cheaper and questionable ones?
Old 20-06-2024, 14:17   #10

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
I might agree if only there was some way to seal them from humidity corrosion, like a proper heat shrink terminal.
There are small boxes filled with some goo that are supposed to clamp over and make wago terminals watertight. At least our local hardware store carries those.

Example: https://www.wago.com/de/verbindungst...elbox-von-wago