Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2023, 13:24   #16

Boat: 2008 Jeanneau 54
Re: water detection relay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
what about a simple mechanical timer switch?

https://www.amazon.com/BN-LINK-60-Mi...841710&sr=8-15

I want a solution that offers more longevity; I'm afraid the residential unit like this would suffer in the salty Caribbean environment. But thanks for the suggestion!
Rascally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 13:29   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Any thoughts on a switch that must be turned on to activate the pump

Then it’s simply off all the time except when you want water?
Yes, but I want "automatic off" because I have guests that will seldom turn off a switch.
Old 15-03-2023, 21:45   #18

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
Wow, this is fantastic! Thank you!

You created a sketch just for this? I owe you a few beer!

Attached is a PDF of a momentary switch, hopefully suitable for the relay you've suggested? I'd like to install a switch like this beside the toilet's Flush switch. Thus, once the relay enables power "on" the toilet's flush switch can power the seawater pump.

This switch is good?

Thanks so much!

Randall
Yes that switch would work. Make sure you order the " M" = momentary switching option.

Various ways to use the illumination feature - three options immediately come to mind are 1: wired always on so people see the switch or 2: wired to indicate that power is available to flush 3: wired to illuminate only when pushed (momentary indication water pump flush circuit was activated) ,your boat, your call.

Your thread seems to indicate more than one head - if the same water pump is used for both, then you can wire a momentary switch in each head, parallel them in the circuit, so either can operate the relay.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 22:59   #19

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

A 12V relay like the amazon.ca pic that you posted,paired with a water sensor or Water Wizard bilge pump switch would work as you said by cutting power to pump.
But that relay would draw current continuously when activated.
It might be easier on your batteries to use a 12V latching relay.
A latching relay is triggered on by a brief shot of 12V. It latches in the on state,without any power required,until you push a reset button.
https://www.amazon.ca/DPST-8Amp-Latc...%2C602&sr=8-10

or
https://www.amazon.ca/Controller-Mod...%2C969&sr=8-26
Old 16-03-2023, 06:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyB View Post
Yes that switch would work. Make sure you order the " M" = momentary switching option.

Various ways to use the illumination feature - three options immediately come to mind are 1: wired always on so people see the switch or 2: wired to indicate that power is available to flush 3: wired to illuminate only when pushed (momentary indication water pump flush circuit was activated) ,your boat, your call.

Your thread seems to indicate more than one head - if the same water pump is used for both, then you can wire a momentary switch in each head, parallel them in the circuit, so either can operate the relay.

I hadn’t fully considered the led lighting of the push button…. I think the best would be supply power led power from the relay, such that the push button is illuminated while the relay timer is running and power to the pump is available.

We don’t have a difficult time seeing these switches, as head is well lit. Having an led to indicate power is enabled seem best, to me.

Here are a photos of the switches presently… and I plan to add the push button to the side, about 1” away. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	272853Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	272854

Thank you, again! [emoji4]
Old 16-03-2023, 06:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
A 12V relay like the amazon.ca pic that you posted,paired with a water sensor or Water Wizard bilge pump switch would work as you said by cutting power to pump.
But that relay would draw current continuously when activated.
It might be easier on your batteries to use a 12V latching relay.
A latching relay is triggered on by a brief shot of 12V. It latches in the on state,without any power required,until you push a reset button.
https://www.amazon.ca/DPST-8Amp-Latc...%2C602&sr=8-10

or
https://www.amazon.ca/Controller-Mod...%2C969&sr=8-26

I think I’m going to avoid the water detection, and use a timing relay. The one proposed uses very little power when active, and probably 2 minutes is all I’d need to set…. And the relay draws zero amperage when not engaged.

But I love all the great ideas! Thank you for taking the time to consider the scenario! [emoji4]
Old 20-03-2023, 22:41   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400

Rascally,

Revised circuit with LED on Bulgin momentary switch illuminated when pump supply is active.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rascally Toilet Pump Circuit -Rev 1.pdf (221.9 KB, 36 views)
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 22:51   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Another option is to only supply power to the toilet when a) it’s breaker is on and b) there is someone in the head (pir sensor).

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 23:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyB View Post
Rascally,

Revised circuit with LED on Bulgin momentary switch illuminated when pump supply is active.

This is fantastic! I’ve had a quick look, and will study it fully tomorrow…. Off to sleep now in this part of the world.

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to document this whole idea. I’ve ordered the parts and they’re coming when a friend fly’s in to see us in a couple weeks.

I wasn’t able to the buy the exact brand of push button momentary switch, but was able to find the same in another brand.

The Admiral and I are thankful to all who’ve provided input, and especially for this diagram that will go into my electrical file. [emoji4]

We’ll post photos when the project is complete! [emoji106]
Old 21-03-2023, 11:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Another option is to only supply power to the toilet when a) it’s breaker is on and b) there is someone in the head (pir sensor).
This would be great idea too! I've already purchased the relays and momentary switches for our three heads. So, I'll go ahead with the plan.

I'll have the relay cutting power to the water pump, and the cut will be after the Jabsco toilet flush switch. I think it's going to work really well.

Thanks for your idea! Maybe on my next boat! 🤪 (not going to happen!!! &#128514
Old 21-03-2023, 11:11   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
This would be great idea too! I've already purchased the relays and momentary switches for our three heads. So, I'll go ahead with the plan.

I'll have the relay cutting power to the water pump, and the cut will be after the Jabsco toilet flush switch. I think it's going to work really well.

Thanks for your idea! Maybe on my next boat! 🤪 (not going to happen!!! &#128514
You can simply replace the momentary switch with the pir sensor

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 10:27   #27

For simplicity, low cost and reliability why not just fit an auto-bilge pump float switch - upside down! When the bilge is dry the float will hang down and the switch will be closed enabling your seawater pump. If the bilge fills up, the float rises and opens the switch so disabling your seawater pump. It's doing (almost) the job it was designed for; it won't mind working upside down.
IanTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 11:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTrail View Post
For simplicity, low cost and reliability why not just fit an auto-bilge pump float switch - upside down! When the bilge is dry the float will hang down and the switch will be closed enabling your seawater pump. If the bilge fills up, the float rises and opens the switch so disabling your seawater pump. It's doing (almost) the job it was designed for; it won't mind working upside down.
Ah ha! A great idea! Now, when the bilge near the head’s seawater pump drains to the main bilge, the toilet pump will activate again. This wound cycle until the battery died or someone noticed.

But I sure like the simplicity factor! Never thought about to use such a switch upside down. 😊
Old 27-03-2023, 11:13   #29

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Ah ha! A great idea! Now, when the bilge near the head’s seawater pump drains to the main bilge, the toilet pump will activate again. This wound cycle until the battery died or someone noticed.

But I sure like the simplicity factor! Never thought about to use such a switch upside down. 😊

Use a latching relay in the circuit and you can avoid that problem. The float switch would be wired to flip the relay open and cut power, but returning the float to the normal position wouldn't re-engage the relay. You'd use a push button (as a reset button) to flip the relay back to the closed position and turn the power back on. In other words, the float lifting would function like tripping a breaker and stay tripped until reset manually.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 19:52   #30

Boat: Roberts 45

So, a switch or relay caused a problem due to water ingress and you want to add another switch or relay in case that happens again? What if the second switch fails, too?

I would just make sure the one and only switch is protected properly.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water