Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 14:56   #1

Westerbeke 7.6BTD Genset wont start

The red devil continues to beguile and baffle...

New issue - our Westerbeke 7.6BTD will not start. Preheat button works normally - start switch works fine - engine turns over as normal - it will not start.

WE got about 6 hours of running since the last problem - detailed here: Westerbeke 8Kw suddenly totally DEAD - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

I'm moving forward with changing the oil / filter and the fuel filter plus installing the new high temp kill switch (see thread linked above) and new zinc.

It seems that none-starting has to be fuel related. I'm not sure how to test the lift pump nor exactly how to try and bleed any air from the fuel system (how would air have gotten in??? ). Any tips, suggestions, instruction or help on troubleshooting and fixing this is greatly appreciated. I want to be DIY as much as possible and learn to fix all this stuff myself!

We're somewhat trapped in Miami. No slips - no mooring balls - no dinghy access to shore. We're heading for Ft. Lauderdale in the morning to find some shore access!

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:00   #2

Boat: Tayan 48DS
Re: Westerbeke 7.6BTD Genset wont start

The last time that happened to me the tiny filter in the red can by the fuel pump had to be changed
svoasis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:06   #3

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

I have a Westerbeke main engine and Westerbeke genset (8.0 BTD). The lift pumps on both make a very obvious fast clicking sound when you press the preheat switch. If you don't hear this use a volt meter to check the wire to the pump is getting 12v when you press preset. Alternatively, run a 12v wire directly to the pump and see if it clicks. If nothing then you might just have a dead pump.

If it clicks find a connection in the fuel line downstream from the pump, probably where the rubber line attaches to the metal fuel pipes at the manifold and disconnect it. Run the pump and see if you get flow. My guess is you will eliminate the lift pump as a problem but I'd test all this first. If you do get flow put it back together and remove the return fuel line at your fuel tank and run your lift pump again. This in effect tests the entire loop of fuel lines, filters, etc. If you don't get flow here there is a problem somewhere in your fuel system.

BTW, in case you don't know this, do not excessively crank your engine when it won't start. This could cause raw water to back up through the exhaust system and into your cylinders which is a disaster. Close your raw water intake seacock valve while your are testing and cranking, then open it immediately when the engine starts.

If you determine the fuel delivery is not a problem the next place to look is the electrical circuit. In your previous problem you found the overtemp switch was a problem. There are other failsafes, or potential shorts in the circuit that would let you crank but not start. Do you have a wiring diagram? It's a pretty simple circuit.

Of course to state the obvious check the switch right on the generator that disables everything if in the wrong position.

Good luck.
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:54   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I don't know the 7.6BTD or how it differs from the 8, but I'd suspect the fuel solenoid. Perhaps your previous issue with the temp switch short caused it to fail - they are prone to failure.
Do you have an operator's manual? I can provide PDFs (for a range of Westie BTDs - don't mention 7.6, but might be similar enough) if you PM me.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke