Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2019, 09:33   #1

Westerbeke 8Kw suddenly totally DEAD

We just got into West Palm Beach in our 2006 Beneteau 473 from St. Augustine overnight. Alternator is not charging - no idea why. Was going to work on figuring that out today... So that left us with just the Westerbeke 8kw genset to charge batteries...

This morning I go to start the genset, hold down the preheat switch 10 seconds - then the Start switch - it begins to start, then stops. Then nothing. Holding preheat does not as normal show activity on the panel, start switch does nothing, its all completely dead.

So I remove generator sound panels to get access. Main breaker is not tripped. Generator start battery shows 12.6V. Preheat and Start switches on the genset are also totally dead - nothing.

I tried pressing the reset button - nothing. The reset button does not press in, it does not pull out, it does not turn. It will wiggle a bit but other than that there is no action associated with it. I am thinking the entire reset button switch assembly must be somehow frozen up and bad. Very strange.

Genset has 570hrs on it and overall looks and runs like new - have had zero issues.

I also checked the 8amp fuze in the control box on top of the engine. It does not look burned out, but it does look very strange. I've never seen a fuse like this, the element is a zig-zag sort of piece of thin metal. Is this normal or is this fuse actually burned out?

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. With no means of charging now, I am going to have to find a marina to get a slip and plug into shore power. We are anchored in Lake Worth next to Rybovitch. Hiring a marine electrician to sort this all out, busting the bank on expensive marina slips... so much for Christmas in the keys. Kids are going to be very unhappy.
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 09:38   #2

Re: Westerbeke 8Kw suddenly totally DEAD

Attached photos did not upload or attach.... trying again

Dang frustrating. First thing to do - buy a Honda EU2200i. Fancy alternators and $15K diesel gensets are just not in the same league with a little Honda when it comes to pure reliability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westerbeke fuse.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	205340   Click image for larger version

Name:	westerbeke reset button.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	205341  

Old 19-12-2019, 09:42   #3

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

First, the fuse, yes the zig zag element is normal and not burnt. When it burns the element will be melted. Also you can check it by measuring continuity across the fuse with a ohm meter or test light.

Second, if you suspect the switch, just by-pass it to test it. Basically figure out the easiest way to connect the wires to switch is connecting.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 09:45   #4

I can't see the fuse well enough in the picture, but you can test it to see if it is burnt. Or just replace it.
Old 19-12-2019, 09:46   #5

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Check for continuity across the fuse with an ohmmeter.

What model is your Westie? Assuming you're working from a remote panel, check to see if there is a kill switch on the engine itself, and it's in the run position.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 09:48   #6

Boat: Vagabond 42

There are two grounds, one by the starter and one up by the alternator. Check those grounds. It doesn't take much corrosion at all to kill the circut.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 09:49   #7

I am working from controls at the genset - not the remote panel. Main breaker switch on the genset is ON. Battery connections do not show any corrosion and are tight. Battery has 12.6V.

I am not sure I can bypass the reset button? How could something as simple as a reset button just freeze up and be totally non-functional all of a sudden?
Old 19-12-2019, 09:49   #8

The reset button is a resettable breaker, they do fail. You could remove the wires to it and install a temporary 20 amp in line fuse if it won't reset.
Old 19-12-2019, 09:58   #9

You can test the reset button the same way you test a fuse, that's what it is in fact, a resettable fuse. If you are careful, and first figure out that there is no short, you could bridge the connections to the reset switch to get it started. But taking a fuse out of a circuit is always risky. Better to grab 20 amp fuse and put it in-line.
Old 19-12-2019, 10:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
You can test the reset button the same way you test a fuse, that's what it is in fact, a resettable fuse. If you are careful, and first figure out that there is no short, you could bridge the connections to the reset switch to get it started. But taking a fuse out of a circuit is always risky. Better to grab 20 amp fuse and put it in-line.
Agree.... this reset button is going to be a bitch to remove and jumping it will also not be easy. I have no external fuse assembly to use, have to go get one. That means getting a marina slip. That means $$$.... typical boat issues. A cheapo-bad little reset switch will end up costing a $1k boat buck to replace including marina time, rental car and all the other hassle AND my kids miss Christmas in the keys. Thanks Westerbeke!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm or screw it, order multiple copies of all possible bad parts to be delivered next week. Go buy a Honda EU2200i - use that to charge and head for the keys anyway.

It's my fault for not already having the Honda on board. Alternators and big gensets just aren't reliable enough to count on alone.
Old 19-12-2019, 10:31   #11

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

One problem with small portable generators is they only put out 8.3 amps from the 12V connector
To get a decent charging current you'll have to use a battery charger from the 120v socket
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 10:34   #12

I did continuity test on the little 8amp fuse - it shows no indications at all of burning but it also has no continuity across it.

Also attempted to further test the reset button - but the wires connected to the back cannot be removed without cutting them off and replacing connectors. The brilliance of Westerbeke - lets use industrial paint and spray EVERYTHING so we can make sure taking anything apart is almost impossible without destroying it!

Marina closes by is $170 a night.... a stupid little junk reset switch will end up costing me $1500...
Old 19-12-2019, 10:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
One problem with small portable generators is they only put out 8.3 amps from the 12V connector
To get a decent charging current you'll have to use a battery charger from the 120v socket
I will plug the Honda into the 30amp shore power so it uses the Magnum charger. Won't be as good as shore power, but it will be a lot better than the non-functional alternator and genset.
Old 19-12-2019, 11:02   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you can't easily diagnose the genset then use the Honda and try to fix the alternator on the engine.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:18   #15

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Is your unit an 8.0 BTD?
I'm curious about the fuse - do you know where it is in the circuit - what it connects?
On mine, the 20A breaker doesn't move much either. I've never tripped it, but assume it would pop out. I've never manually popped it out, but I think it would probably require pliers to do so.

There is no 8A fuse on mine, however there is a 10A breaker that is referred to in a service bulletin - it connects the preheat and fuel solenoids. I've attached the bulletin. Maybe it will help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sb_175.pdf (115.2 KB, 129 views)
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke