Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2018, 06:29   #46

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: What crimper do you guys use for larger cables?

Mainesail only had 5 of the FTZ 94285 and he is sold out of those or I would have ordered it.

Amazon shows a vendor selling them for $199 though.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 06:30   #47

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

The FTZ shows settings for both battery terminal lugs and flared starter lugs. It was more tool than I needed,but,I was working on the ‘do it once,do it right’ principle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4521B2B0-5EF0-42D2-ACF6-497E2CFD492C.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	173842  
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 07:45   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
The FTZ shows settings for both battery terminal lugs and flared starter lugs. It was more tool than I needed,but,I was working on the ‘do it once,do it right’ principle.
And for $200 you are the go to guy in the marina for crimping. The beer donations will quickly offset the cost. [emoji1]

Old 19-07-2018, 08:23   #49

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowneasy View Post
I use one of the hammer crimpers (Forney 57637 lug crimping tool) for a few connections and it did a great job. Its small and easy to use. Only issue is that you need to be able to get the lug in a place where you have some hammer room....
Someone recently mentioned a solution to this problem, so I'll pass it on:

If you can't (don't want to) hit that style of crimper with a hammer, use a clamp to squeeze it.
Haven't tried it yet, but can't see why it wouldn't work and it would be much less violent.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 08:48   #50

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Mainesail only had 5 of the FTZ 94285 and he is sold out of those or I would have ordered it.

Not sure if Mainesail had the 94285 since he does not recommend ratcheting for boat work...

I bought mine way back from KL Jack

ET50116 - Battery Cable Crimping Tool w/25 in. Handles (94284) - 1-866-417-3626 - Now Stocking DeWalt Power Tools!
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 08:55   #51

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
And for $200 you are the go to guy in the marina for crimping. The beer donations will quickly offset the cost. [emoji1]

Good point! Maybe I ought to get a fancy one after all, before I build my next boat!
Old 20-07-2018, 15:49   #52

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:

I see it on Amazon for $150.00, I think I'll order one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CRZ465K...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 06:55   #53

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I use a 3 pound sledge on concreat with the correct size cable end. I know its not hight tech or even correct. But one heavy blow not repeated strikes to flaten it ! , does work for me !
Logic would say get the proper tool for the job and you will not be sorry !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 08:27   #54

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I have a Greenlee professional crimper ($350-$400 retail) that I have used for 10 years. I was a boat electrician and do all my own work on my boats. It worked great for years but now the lugs I can get (easily) are too small for the dies on my crimper. It will put "ears" on either side of the crimps now. It turns out the the vendors around here have changed suppliers and they require different size dies. I looked in to it and there are many different tools/dies that fit certain lugs and not others. That means you might need different model crimpers. The lug manufacturs will give you the recommended (mandatory) tools for their lugs. I am not going to buy a new crimper so I do not get the nice looking and probably more secure crimps I used to be proud of. I do get a crimp that I think is strong and will last the life of the wire but some would not trust it, certainly in any business like aviation where certified tools are necessary. My crimps are certainly better than a rock or hammer made crimp which I would do in a true emergency but not otherwise. In general all crimpers work best for a given size/material/design lug and not for others regardless of the mechanism.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 08:43   #55
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Source the terminators that work best for your expensive crimper.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:06   #56

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I use solder and a gas torch. The recommendation against solder connections is because the copper can get brittle. You stop this by plunging the connection ito water while it is still hot which anneals the copper. I am sure it is not as strong as crimping but on heavy gauge wire that does not seam to be a problem. Never had a breakage but you do need enough heat to make sure you don't get a 'dry' joint.
Pictures: Flying Pig 2015-2018 Shake-and-Break-Down/New Alternator and Wiring/Dead Alternator and Bad Wiring

Pictures: Flying Pig 2015-2018 Shake-and-Break-Down/New Alternator and Wiring/Dead Alternator and Bad Wiring

I didn't originate this connection - it came with the boat.

Way oversized, and failed due to vibration, eventually, despite being a pristine installation.

My battery 2/0 crimps were made with a very much heavier, 3'-long-armed tool (and a major cable cutter), start here to see them: Pictures: Flying Pig 2015-2018 Shake-and-Break-Down/Electrical Upgrade/Batteries/Cabling/Cut - Crimp - Shrink , but for this alternator cable replacement, I used this:

Pictures: Flying Pig 2015-2018 Shake-and-Break-Down/New Alternator and Wiring/New

Start there and look at the next few pix. The hammer type is fine, IMHO, for stuff that size (#2) but larger and I'd want a tool like in the battery cable pic.

BTW the alternator cable hammer tool was used on the dock, not on the bench, over a joist, to minimize bounce from my 2# sledge (which I made sure to follow through with the stroke).
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 11:45   #57

Boat: Caliber 47 LRC SE

In a pinch, I've used bolt cutters. Simply squeeze down 1/3 of barrel on opposite sides of crimp connection leaving a small uncrimped small middle. looks surprisingly good and holds very well on 2/0. give a quick clean with non-metallic scrub pad and anti corrosive. Don't forget the heat shrink. Bolt cutters work great for cutting the cable too.
ngmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 11:47   #58

I just ordered the FTZ crimpers. The boat we made an offer on will need them. Survey next week.

Old 23-07-2018, 14:37   #59
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Desperately chasing around to make up "one last cable", I was coming up on zilch when a fellow at a tool rental counter said "We don't got that but come around here with me, we've got a Jamaican cable crimper."

He put the terminal and cable in a bench vise, got out a six foot piece of pipe and threw it on the vise, and that terminal has never complained since.

It may not be "right", but I have to concede it worked.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 15:31   #60

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I simply use a slide-on ferrule and resin cored solder, after heating up the ferrule with a small gas blowtorch. I make up a few at a time and clamp the tangs in a vice To stop solder coming out of the bottom, i make up a plug of clay and use it to block the hole that sometimes exists in these terminals. When cooled, I bind them with red or blue PVC tape. I find there is less likelihood of corrosion with a soldered electrical termination.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cables