Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2023, 14:57   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: What Interior Lights with USB ?

USB isn’t 5V anymore. It can switch between 5V, 9V, 12V, 15V and 20V.

Here is one that held up to all my tests: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RHSD9WM

I connect these to our 24V house batteries but they also work in 12V outlets but of course not at the higher voltages.

My 15” Macbook Pro works on this.

Edit: if you want to see what is going on: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JYVPLLJ

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 18:40   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

My understanding is that the "old" larger, flat USB outlets are 5V, and that it's only the new, smaller, rounded outlets which support variable, negotiated voltages. Please feel free to correct me if that's wrong. I certainly could have missed a version or two along the way. It's so hard to keep up.

You should see the rat's nest of wires and adapters I have in my sea bag for deliveries. There's always so many devices to plug in, and you never know what you'll find for power options at the helm or in the berths.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 18:49   #18

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
My understanding is that the "old" larger, flat USB outlets are 5V, and that it's only the new, smaller, rounded outlets which support variable, negotiated voltages. Please feel free to correct me if that's wrong. I certainly could have missed a version or two along the way. It's so hard to keep up.

You should see the rat's nest of wires and adapters I have in my sea bag for deliveries. There's always so many devices to plug in, and you never know what you'll find for power options at the helm or in the berths.
The older larger flat type (USB A) can support multiple voltages as well.
Old 19-01-2023, 00:46   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

USB C is the standard now. I can charge my Logitec mouse or JBL headphones with the power supply from my Macbook Pro laptop.

So if you spend any money, then make sure you get the USB C outlet. Having an old style for compatibility is great as it eliminates the need for adapters.
The product I linked to above has both these outlets. Also, it actually works and many of the products I tested did not work at all or failed during stress testing. Most of this is junk, incl. even the Blue Sea Systems USB outlets.

What is good is the 12V outlets from Blue Sea Systems. I tested many alternatives incl. some that look exactly the same but they all fail miserably.

For different cords: besides the two outlets on the charger I linked above, you also have USB mini and micro connectors. These were all precursors to the USB C we have now. Cords with these two types of connectors on one end normally have the good old USB that fits in the charger on the other end.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 17:08   #20

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Jedi, thanks for the links and information.
I will be visiting my boat in a bit to plan out where and what to install, but leaning toward a mix of cigarette lighter outlets, maybe 1 or 2, and a USB port or two. Not certain where to place, but this should accommodate what typically is onboard with possibility for laptop/tablet too. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 06:00   #21

You can also buy all kinds of USB adapters which plug into cigarette lighter type outlets. Everything from a plug which sits flush in the outlet and offers two USB ports, to multi-port extension cords in various lengths and with various outlets on the end.
Old 20-01-2023, 06:28   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
...I like the idea of a central charging "station"... where is yours on your boat?
thnks

We all know the story of the dive boat that had a central charging station right by the companionway. All 33 passengers died.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-c...at-fire-2019-9
Old 23-01-2023, 08:01   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

We added a nominal 12v outlet (lighter type) in the vberth as well as to the side of the nav station. We have lighter style USB transformers that we can use for whatever we need. The 110 outlets over each settee have USB transformers built in that we can also use while plugged into shore power.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 09:11   #24

Boat: Tartan 34c

Speaking of usb reading lamp combo, they are convenient for adding a small USB fan. I saw this pair (lamp and fan) mentioned on an Amazon review and the kids love it up in the Vberth. These fans also have a battery and can be used unplugged for an hour or so. Perfect for the galley.

Maybe not robust enough for live aboard use, but perfect for occasional use.

12V Reading Lamp RV Boat LED Bedside Lamp Camper Trailer Motorhome Interior Lighting Spotlight, Machined Aluminum Brushed Nickel (LED Light with USB) https://a.co/d/3haP3UE

SkyGenius Battery Operated Stroller Fan, Rechargeable USB Powered Mini Clip on Desk Fan https://a.co/d/3H1MbpC
Juice13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 09:43   #25

Good observations above. You should do the arithmetic for amps and volts. One additional observation -- and I have devices that use USB C which can be a USB A (the square one) to USB C (the oval one with either end up) cable -- the newer standard has controlling in the device that can push the voltage to get greater wattage for fast charging. I have a Dell 7220 Tablet that only charges at pretty high wattage. So if I wired in a higher wattage USB, say, maybe near the nav station, that happens to be near the battery, I could charge the Tablet that has full GPS and OpenCPN chartplotter capability. And any other phones or tablets would charge faster. Put a low wattage 5 v USB for slow charge elsewhere? Sure. And maybe put in a little shelf for a phone to keep it out of the way.
Ratty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 10:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice13 View Post
Speaking of usb reading lamp combo, they are convenient for adding a small USB fan.
Yes!! Those little USB fans are great. Bought one at Walmart for $5 figuring it was worth a try. Used it once and went back for two more. Gave one to a friend who saw it on the boat and she bought another. We bought a couple for at home, too. Another friend saw them in action there and bought one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GPX-Porta...Black/52642470

They're up to like $12 now. I think the initial $5 purchase was an end-of-season clearance. They're effective and efficient, saving battery juice at anchor.
Old 23-01-2023, 13:22   #27

I 3d printed ‘pucks’ to mount under the current fixtures on my boat that incorporates a 5v usb circuit board. Yes, the old style - not using them for large loads. Made them before the usb fixtures were a dime a dozen.

Also use them for fans, flexible lights, etc.

We generally leave the inverter on and can use that as well for the newer or high powered items.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 13:43   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
I am interested in adding USB charging ports to each of my existing interior berth lights. Has anyone made this addition and if so what type of light fixture did you install? thnks
Another option is to add a 5 v power supply to the 12 v line and then run to as many and where ever you need usb jacks. haveing in the lights just seems like a pita,. dont you want cords and dangly bits out of the way ( like on shelves)? what I had in mind:
Keenso Dc To Dc Charger Converter, 3A DC 12V to DC 5V Dual USB Charger Adapter

$15 . on amazon
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 14:27   #29

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

This is what we used, and really like them: https://www.amazon.com/quckangy-Read...09MQQGMBL&th=1
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 14:35   #30

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I agree that it is preferable to use cigarette lighter sockets and USB charging adapters, for the ability to easily upgrade to newer standards (which is frequent), as opposed to hard wired USB adapters. If you want to build in USB ports then consider the small panel mounted adapters, as they are a standard size and can be upgraded easier (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Outlet-C.../dp/B0BJKJ7948 ). Of course there is some value in having a simple USB port in the light fixture, for plain vanilla applications such as the USB fans; they just don't solve the problem of higher power for phones, tablets, and laptops (and other things).

The various QC and PD protocols max out at 5A - which is a lot to put through a small connector, and will require special cables. Until recently these standards stopped at 100W: 5A X 20V. The newer Extended USB PD has a 240W limit (5A X 48W). To use the older PD standards on USB-A connectors the cable must be "PD-aware" or it will default to the even older BC standard. The newer PD products require a USB-C cable that has a circuit inside that communicates its maximum ratings to the power supply - the cable must be designed for charging instead of, or in addition to, high speed data (there will always be at least USB 2 data speeds, to negotiate the power). Charging cables usually have the slower data speed but it is possible to buy cables that are both charging and high speed. (This is a very deep rabbit hole as there are other optional USB-C cable features, such as the ability to handle video, USB4, Thunderbolt 4, etc.) One upshot is that charging cables that come with chargers are not likely to be good for connecting two smart devices (and they may not have any markings to indicate the features supported). And most USB-C data cables won't support PD charging. Just things to be aware of...

To make things more complicated, USB PD 3 supports an optional feature: PPS (programmable power supply), and Extended USB PD has something similar: AVS (adjustable voltage supply). These allow the consuming device to select the charge voltage from the charger, in 20mV and 100mV steps respectively. This simplifies the charging inside the device, and crucially reduces heat dissipation. Already some phones and tablets require PPS for charging. So when buying a USB PD charger look for one that has PPS, even if your current devices don't require it.

This is the charger I am currently using in my car: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803214271865.html . It supports QC 5 (!) and USB PD 3 PPS (100W). The ring of light on the face indicates the current charge voltage by the color - cute if not particular useful...

Greg

Edit: What may get lost in the above, and why I explained so much, is that often devices charge slower than they should as a result of an inappropriate cable. Recently there have been standards published for marking data speeds and power capability on USB-C cables, which will be helpful. Unfortunately they are not comprehensive.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior