Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2023, 19:23   #1

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
What Interior Lights with USB ?

I am interested in adding USB charging ports to each of my existing interior berth lights. Has anyone made this addition and if so what type of light fixture did you install? thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 01:19   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: What Interior Lights with USB ?

You have many choices!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=b...client=gws-wiz
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 05:33   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

You might want to consider making them separate fixtures. The problem with USB ports is it seems they come up with new standards every few minutes. I use those round USB outlets sized for a cigarette lighter hole. Easy to upgrade if you find a device which needs something "better" than whatever generation of USB outlet you currently have.

If you absolutely must use a light with built-in USB ports, make sure it supports the latest and greatest USB standard. The manufacturers of these devices don't always make it easy to find that out.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 07:30   #4

Coop - thanks for the link and assorted choices out there. Will give it a look. I have changed out all of my bulbs to LED in my existing fixtures a few yrs ago and then recently saw the combination options. Found a lite/USB at Marinebeam (I am not affiliated w/) for $75, ouch, as I have 6 fixtures I could possibly replace.
Tom - good point about the changing USB standards. I have one cigarette lighter outlet at the nav station and on an off shore trip it became the place for crew to line up their devices (eg gopro, cell phone, spotlight, etc) for charging. Needless to say, trying to lay out a paper chart (yep, still liking hard copy) first required finding a home for all the electronics...
I may just replace 1 or 2 existing lights with combination and see how that works while keeping an eye on the USB standards and potential changes.
thnks
Old 17-01-2023, 17:19   #5

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

I think the standards changing mostly relates to data speeds and the profile of the device-side plug (mini, then micro, then usb-c). The wall side is still the standard usb-a port that is on every little charger brick that comes with every phone. Sometimes certain devices will throw a warning if the charger can’t put out enough amps for fast charging, but only the worst of the worst actually put in code to prevent you from charging on it. Get something that says the usb port can put out 2 amps, and you should be fine.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 18:56   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We needed to put in new reading lights in each berth, so I sourced some led lights on Amazon that had usb plugs in them. Truthfully we hardly ever use them. Cords dangling by our heads while asleep is very annoying.
I did add several ports in the cockpit, salon, and seating areas so charging devices is easy. Amazon is also quite good for sourcing these
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 19:18   #7

Wyb, thanks for the information and advice on amperage of the port as 2 amps or more.
Chris, good point with the dangling cords, plus thinking about how to secure a device while charging when heeling.

I think I will install just a couple light/USB fixtures and see how that works before switching any more lights. This will allow me to move the devices away from the nav station area and see how it works and issues that come up. thnks
Old 17-01-2023, 20:24   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

Don't look at Amps, as that is the old way. (Yes, the standards change quickly) A USB port that is 2, or even 4 amps will charge most modern devices painfully slow.

Look for something that says QC3.1 and PD3.1. That will fast charge a modern Samsung or apple device at the maximum speed. QC and PD have 2 way communication, and negotiate both voltage and current. It's much more advanced than the simple 5V power plain USB A provides. Frankly, I would be shocked if any lights with built in USB ports met the new standards, so look at dedicated ports.

Also, PD can deliver over 200W. At 12V that is 16 amps. You might quickly exceed your boats wiring if a single circuit runs to multiple lights, and a USB port is at each one. Newer laptops are powered by USB via PD, and if someone plugs one of those in at their berth, along with an iphone etc., you could easily have more than 15 amps on the circuit. So, consider your wiring, what might eventually be plugged into them, and where you really need them.

I recommend all cell phones and devices are charged at a dedicated charging station. If someone plugs a cell phone in to charge in their birth, and it winds up on or under a blanket, that is a recipe for a disastrous Lithium fire.
Old 18-01-2023, 05:33   #9

@wholybee has it right. I wasn't going to get into the weeds, but let me add that the QC standard uses the "old" (big, flat) USB port you see everywhere. For this you want something rated for 2.4-3 Amps. I haven't seen 4A versions, but maybe. USB power is 5V, so you're looking at no more than 10-15 Watts, something your existing lighting wiring should be able to handle, especially as we all move to LED fixtures in the lamps.

When you get into PD you may need to start worrying about the wiring. PD is not limited to 5V. You really need to read the specifications on the device with the PD outlet to see what it's limits are, and make sure the wiring can handle it. Especially in the case of 12VDC, you need to factor in the total length of the wiring run (both ways.)

You'd be justified thinking PD isn't worth the effort, but be aware that newer devices all support this standard, and taking the time now would future-proof you to some extent. I've put PD in a couple in locations where someone might sit with a laptop, and am considering a couple more at the helms, where navigation tablets might be used.

Again, all this argues for a dedicated, easily updateable USB outlet fixture, rather than trying to buy something with integrated USB ports.
Old 18-01-2023, 05:53   #10

W'bee: thanks for the information re: QC and PD 3.1...and the rather frightening scenario of overloading my boat's 40+ year old wiring. Was doing some quick reading on qualcomm's quick charge (QC) and generic power delivery (PD) USB's. As I understand, this new USB standard allows for almost limitless current draw based upon the need of the device (eg cell, laptop). Hence your described amperage draw in the teen's, correct?

Checked the specifications on the marinebeam fixture and no mention of QC/PD just amperage draw of 2. So sending them a request for additional info or can you assume since they specify amp's it is not QC/PD 3.0?

I like the idea of a central charging "station"... where is yours on your boat?
thnks
Old 18-01-2023, 06:03   #11

Tom: just saw your post...well, I have been convinced to forego combination fixtures and figure out another approach to move charging devices from my nav desk. I don't use laptops for navigation so their use would be recreational and therefore a low priority (I'm not a live-aboard), but still a consideration. Will look into both PD and QC..thanks

ps I see your image is a trawler...up-to-date? Do you have a central charging area on your boat? If trawler, a few more options than my monohull, I would think.
Old 18-01-2023, 07:37   #12

I agree with the consensus that has emerged here:
  • avoid combo light/USB fixtures
  • dedicated, separately-wired & fused USB charging stations, especially for devices requiring the modern USB standards and higher current
And at these charging stations, consider some sort of metal tray or enclosure for the rare chance of battery overheating and fires. With an ABC fire extinguisher nearby.
Old 18-01-2023, 07:52   #13

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

200w? Upgrading the boat wiring? Jeeze, he wants to be able to charge a phone away from the nav table. It doesn’t have to be rocket surgery.

I have 3 of these same basic lights:

https://a.co/d/4BIuTfk

Two are in the house, with little 120/12v brick transformers, one is native 12v in a trailer. All 3 have charged everything I’ve ever plugged into them. They are very convenient. They are $20. No need to overthink it.

There are options without the long, flexible necks:

https://a.co/d/1qEVVOZ

Part of the fire risk is from trying to push charge speeds higher and higher. With these little 2 amp ports, nothing even gets warm. Yes, don’t sleep with the phone under the blankets with you, that’s common sense. I’ve had exactly 1 lithium battery fail in a physical way, it started to balloon up and split my phone in half. It was not plugged in at the time. It had been charged the night before without issue.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 11:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
...ps I see your image is a trawler...up-to-date? Do you have a central charging area on your boat? If trawler, a few more options than my monohull, I would think.
Up to date? My old 1980 trawler? Never!!

But I've found over the years that you can't have too many USB charging ports. Every guest who comes aboard arrives with one or more electronic devices, all with low batteries. Especially younger people, and anyone staying overnight.

I have four USB ports at the upper helm, along with two 12VDC "cigarette lighter" outlets which can be used for additional charging ports, or things like spotlights or charging hand-held VHF radios. A QC/PD combo outlet at the settee in the saloon. A dual USB/cigarette lighter outlet in the galley right next to a fireproof ceramic tile inlay on the counter which can be used for overnight charging. A dual USB port in the guest cabin (V berth) and of course two on each side of the master berth and another across the cabin next to a countertop. I may have missed one or two.
Old 18-01-2023, 14:25   #15

CaptTom; holy crow!!! I will be right on over w/ my laptop, hand held VHF, spotlight, cell phone, Garmin InReach tracker, my wife's cell & laptop, and any other devices from the neighbors who responded to my STAT text about a source of FREE electricity!!

I am obviously under-equipped vis-a-vis charging with my lone USB at the nav...

Thanks to all for the information and I need to sit in my boat (currently on the hard under her winter tarp) and figure out where to put what..

Tags
interior