Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2017, 05:57   #1

What is this: "selector 6007"?

I have googled this. Found the manufacturer's website and read what it does. What I want to know is why and when would I use it? The boat has a "regular" battery switch and everything works while this one is off. So what is the 6007's purpose? The boat has 2 house batteries wired in Parallel and a starter battery.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/600...y_Switch_-_Red
Takmal93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 09:50   #2

Re: What is this: "selector 6007"?

The only way to know is to see what it's hooked up to.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 10:57   #3

What would it normally be used for?
Takmal93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 11:11   #4

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takmal93 View Post
Hard to say. Basically that is a regular switch just more compact. There are many different ways to wire it in so you will likely have to trace wires off it.
Old 25-10-2017, 11:17   #5

The main design is allowing to switch batteries without losing power to the load.

As an example say your running your computer from an inverter and the battery bank is going down. Allows you to switch to a changed bank without having to shutdown the computer and to reboot it.

For critical operations where power can not be removed from the load.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 11:28   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Are you positive everything works when in the off position ? Could have been used to supply power to something with a high draw you only want to energize when in use like an anchor windlass, inverter or watermaker. My first guess would be the anchor windlass if there are no other apparent large red circuit breakers or switches in the cabin for that purpose.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 11:41   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I have googled this. Found the manufacturer's website and read what it does. What I want to know is why and when would I use it? The boat has a "regular" battery switch and everything works while this one is off. So what is the 6007's purpose? The boat has 2 house batteries wired in Parallel and a starter battery.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/600...y_Switch_-_Red
If everything works when the "regular" battery switch is off then it's not connected, or at least not serving it's primary intended purpose.

Your "regular" battery switch may be one of the older ones that you could not switch while your alternator was charging, and the new switch was wired in without ever removing the old one.

As Smac said, you need to trace the connected wiring to find out what is going on and what's doing what, including possibly nothing at all.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 13:45   #8

Quote:
90% of the boats out there have a 1,2,all switch. that is a regular swtich. used to power the engine from either battery. or the house panel from either battery. or normally both are fed from same switch.

maybe it's only a parallel switch. but that could have been done with an on / off switch. who knows.

nobody here can answer your question. you'll have to follow all the wires.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 11:56   #9

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Am I, as usual, confused? The only difference I see (remember) between this and the more common switches is the "Off" selection. Now almost all cruisers have the latter. The "off" selection seems a good idea as a way to remove both battery groups from powering any circuit except their own. The usual choices are house (typically one or more batteries for lights and instruments), or start (an isolated dedicated starting battery), or both.

Just to attempt to hijack the thread, has anyone tried carrying an emergency start battery of the hi voltage, very compact, small, sort, with built in cables, used for automobiles? My cardiologist has told me my boating days are over (day sailing OK) so my boat is gone, but such a device has proved very handy when my car (13 year old Prius) battery has a problem (typically induced by a member of the household if borrowing the car and leaving light on after deciding they should not be on "auto.") So I take the newer car to the rescue and do not need to fiddle with heavy duty jumper cables. My thought, on a boat, it would allow a simple on/off switch since all batteries could be used in a single bank, and the emergency start battery could be just that. Life has proven excellent on land, and it has other uses and attributes as well
Old 26-10-2017, 12:03   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
The normal use is exactly the same as your regular battery switch. So to switch batteries, to connect one bank to different loads (like using the same bank to start the engine or to run the lights in the boat). It does not have any special use.

As other answers have said, the only way to tell what it does is to follow the wires connected to the switch. Actually there is one other way. Ask the previous owner.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 12:10   #11

The somewhat obvious answer is to simply trace the positive leads and see where they go.

My assumption is this is to cross-over the house bank to the starter in the event the start battery is dead. Therefore, when off, the engine would still start on the start battery and the house would still power the DC systems.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 12:49   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Is it possible someone began installing a new switch? Old switches broke before make.
Newer ones make before break to not toast your alternator?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 13:07   #13

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

I used that switch to shut off my solar panels...
Bob
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote