Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2020, 09:13   #31

Re: What options are there for diesel generators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadicAspie View Post
I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere. I don't have a boat yet but am pricing parts, and can't seem to find what type of generators people use. Googling what diesel generators to use only comes up with websites talking about converting to electric.

I'm open to different options, but how do I find out what the options are and what they cost? Do they really cost 12k or more? I've seen people talking about using portable generators which I think are closer to 1-2k? People seem to talk about using certain generators that are not marine-grade and then painting the exhaust pipes to make them more resistant to rust. Is that an option or is spending a ton of the money the only option?

Can something like this be used?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsman...MaApyOEALw_wcB
I have looked into the topic some. I don't have much first hand experience with marine generators.

The three manufactures that make more compact lower power models at a good price point that I would consider based on my research are:

1. Phasor

2. Whisper Power

3. Next Gen

If you go with the smallest of what the manufactures offer the total price including installation is $9K-$10k. If you go up to approx. 5kw from the above the total cost is 10K-12K

The consensus in the market seems to be(and in this forum), that Northern Lights is the best but costs a bit more than the above is heavier, takes up more space. Northern Lights gensets run at lower rpm which is quieter, has less vibration and everything else being equal (which it never is), the lower rpm results in longer life.

Phasor generators except their lowest power, one cylinder models run at similar RPM as the Northern Lights are more compact, and weigh less than Northern Lights.

Most would say it is better to go with a two cylinder model versus 1 cylinder model for less vibration, probably less noise when not running flat out, and longer life.

Whisper Power makes DC generators in a similar sizes as their AC generators. If your needs are mostly DC, DC makes sense you save 20%-30% in losses of switching DC to AC. There are also loses switching AC to DC to charge your batteries.

It seems once you go above 5KW-6KW the incremental cost per KW, the amount weight added per KW and volume per KW goes way down. That is why you see boats that have 8KW-10KW gensets that would rarely need that much power.

If your devices including air cond., watermaker, micro wave, washer / dryer (that are power hogs), if you have them, are DC, then it makes sense to have a DC generator. DC devices do not require a big surge in power to start them as AC devices do unless the AC component has a soft start device inside or you have an external soft start device.

They seem to be getting better but DC water makers, air conditioners, microwaves, washer/ dryers offer less options in the market place and often are not as powerful as AC.

Instead of going with a separate gen set take a look at Integrel Solutions alternator/generator(links: https://integrelsolutions.com) that is mounted on the aux engine, that has a fancy CPU to manage it's alternator/generator, batteries, etc. If the Integrel can do what they claim(and you have at least a 40 HP aux engine), it is a superior, more efficient, simpler arrangement versus an independent gen set. It costs about the same maybe a tad less to a comparable independent genset including installation. It is a new product so check it out carefully before buying. Nigel Calder helped develop it and has attached his name / reputation to it. More than most I would tend to trust Nidel Calder making such claims. But as Ronald Reagan wisely said: "Trust but verify".

Installing the above is not much different than installing an alternator. Integrel Solutions says they will do all the engineering. I have noticed that some production boat builders are willing to install larger alternators and lithium batteries at the factory. Maybe some production boat builders would be willing to install the Integrel Solution at the factory with Ingtegrel Solutions doing all the engineering. What I understand is the Volvo engine warranty is not effected by installing the Integrel product. So far not Yanmar.

If for example you want to run air conditioning all night and your water maker whenever you want you will likely need a good size bank of lithium batteries(unless you have a big boat), because of their much greater energy density versus the other options. An advantage of lithium batteries is they can except a much higher charge than the alternatives(so you can charge them faster if you have a big power source. Lithium cost much more upfront but over the long haul cost less per cycle because they last much longer.

Unless you have an immense amount of solar to be able to charge the lithium batteries to run the air cond. all night, each night you need a way to charge the lithium batteries quickly(or else you will have the noise of your engines or generator for too much time). That means either larger alternator, a genset or the Integrel Solutions product. Even with an immense amount of solar if it is cloudy you won't be able to run air conditioning on battery power on consecutive nights.

The best solution is see if you can live without air conditioning except when plugged into shore and not have to run the water maker except when the aux. engine is running. Try going with lots of DC fans, wind scoops, or run the engines an hour before bedtime to run the air cond. to cool the boat down.

The alternative to all the above(as so many do), as mentioned, is go with an air cooled portable generator. A Honda 2200 portable can start and run a 16000 BTU Marinaire air conditioner without a soft start device. But then you have the noise and your neighbors have the noise. Plus you have the hassle of setting up the portable generator, it's inherent limitations, and the risk/worry of CO poisoning from the exhaust.

Another make of air conditioner that posters have mentioned as being very efficient is at the following link: https://www.internationalmarineservi...vel-i16vsd.htm

I few times I have seen 3000W, "portable" generators permanently mounted on the aft portion of the deck of center cockpit sail boats. That would give you some decent power, less hassle to set up, but you will have the noise, vibration, and CO poisoning risk/worry.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 14:42   #32

there's an excellent new option available, thanks to Nigel Calder:

Check out the new Integral system

https://youtu.be/0uTNjfb3MNQ
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 18:35   #33

Boat: Jeanneau NC11, 11m

I read the latest is to use
1/ solar
2/ lipo batteries, lots of them!
3/ inverter/s
4/ 12v Dc generator as back up, like ZRD Electric Designer OEM - Your Source for 24-Hour Power, DC Generator, Alt, ...
5/ wind or hydro gen as well.

I think it would depend on being a full live aboard or a weekend warrior as to where I would go. Seems that plenty if cruisers can now run a lot of the boat from solar and batteries.
Many new builds of large power boats are all throwing as much solar as possible on them to reduce gen set noise and use.
blazing928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:53   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 41 CC

I'm installing a Phasor 3.5 right now in a Gulfstar 41. Making room was the biggest feat. Will report once its fired up. We chose to install a genny for a 40 gph watermaker, hotwater and just in case air con.
Finalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator