Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2020, 09:05   #46

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: What type of switch do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperguy View Post
Your post indicates either an unclear statement of your question or a “too basic” understanding of electric circuits. SORRY to sound critical but please be careful of obtaining instructions from any forum.
(I once had to call 911 upon discovery of a winter-stored small sail boat in CT having 3-ft flames in the cockpit. I was almost was overcome by burning resin fumes as I approached the vessel with extinguisher in hand. Had to retreat & await the FD.
The owner had just installed a new battery BACKWARDS.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
When you say "connect 3 wires together", do you mean connect 2 wires of the loo to one positive from the battery ? That would only require a 2-pole switch. Double pole, single throw (DPST), momenatry would seem appropriate. If this IS the case, I suggest that you don't have sufficient understanding of electrics to do the job anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
Owner: "That is strange, the terminals don't fit. Maybe I should swap the connectors on the wires" OK, they may have been lug rather than post terminals.
See post #38 that was posted before all of these I've just quoted. it's explained exactly there, rather than the rushed opening post.

I've now fitted it. All works precisely as intended with a double pole single throw momentary switch. Cheers.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 18:59   #47

What type of switch do I need?

My 2 cents for what it is worth ……….

It sounds like you want a 20 amp Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) switch.

When you push the button the two 12 VDC voltage lines (one of the poles on the switch) connect the two pump (loads) and the other pole (isolated) connects the pump (load) ground to system ground ….. both poles (DP) operate at the same time but isolated from each other …… thus Double (2) Pole(s) operate with a single throw (ST ….. one push)?

I had a 1984 Carver Riviera that operated in just this way ….. a little tricky in the beginning …….. but once I figured it out …… everything worked as planned.

Cheers …...
captainwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote