Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2015, 18:45   #1

Boat: Noelex 25 trailer sailer
when to charge battery

Hi, I've read that I shouldnt let battery fall below 50% charge, but how do I know when it's at 50 %? Thanks
amoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 19:05   #2
Eternal Member

Re: when to charge battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret View Post
Hi, I've read that I shouldnt let battery fall below 50% charge, but how do I know when it's at 50 %? Thanks
Assuming it's a 12-volt flooded lead-acid battery, 12.2VDC at the battery terminals without load is about 50% charged. Your measurement needs to be accurate....a digital voltmeter or multimeter of known accuracy.

AGMs and gelled batteries will measure a slightly higher voltage....12.3VDC is about 50% charged.

This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, just a good one to follow as best you can.

Also, don't let your batteries sit with less than a full charge; they'll sulfate and lose capacity (shortening their lifetime).

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 19:12   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Yep, measuring voltage as above is the only simple way. The only easy thing that can be done more accurately is a profiling charge controller that will measure voltage as the battery charges and is dissipated to create a profile of exactly how that specific battery reports voltage throughout it's charge/drain cycle. It's also technically possible to measure the specific gravity of the sulfide in a lead acid battery, but that's not trivial.

Here's a table for flooded lead acid batteries (Gel cells will be higher):

100% -- 12.65
75% --- 12.45
50% --- 12.24
25% --- 12.06
0% ---- 11.89 or lower

Keep in mind that this is > open circuit < voltage, i.e., disconnected from any loads and other batteries. Also, while charging, voltage will read as high as 14.3 but that's coming from the alternator, not the battery.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 19:18   #4

It is even better to stay less than 50% discharge, and to hold it at full charge when not using the boat. Lead acid batteries will last a very long time with a less than 50% discharge, bulk charging at above 14.4 volts, and keeping them at float charge voltages of 13.2 volts during long periods of off season disuse,
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 19:24   #5

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Depends what type of battery it is. The best way to know id to use a battery meter. Alternatively voltage can be used, but before measurement, you have to leave the battery with everything switched off, for at least 1/2 an hour, so you can measure the real voltage. The voltage required depends on battery type.
Old 14-07-2015, 19:28   #6

you use a battery monitor like a victron 700

the voltage doesn't really work as you need to shut off the battery for 24 hours then measure... can't do it on a boat in use.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 19:32   #7

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
Yep, measuring voltage as above is the only simple way. The only easy thing that can be done more accurately is a profiling charge controller that will measure voltage as the battery charges and is dissipated to create a profile of exactly how that specific battery reports voltage throughout it's charge/drain cycle. It's also technically possible to measure the specific gravity of the sulfide in a lead acid battery, but that's not trivial.

Here's a table for flooded lead acid batteries (Gel cells will be higher):

100% -- 12.65
75% --- 12.45
50% --- 12.24
25% --- 12.06
0% ---- 11.89 or lower

Keep in mind that this is > open circuit < voltage, i.e., disconnected from any loads and other batteries. Also, while charging, voltage will read as high as 14.3 but that's coming from the alternator, not the battery.
As above. Use voltage for a quick check. No load of course.

Otherwise use a hydrometer. Specific gravity is the most accurate means of determining battery state of charge. Flooded lead acid only.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 20:28   #8

Boat: Noelex 25 trailer sailer

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful replies. And yep, it's a deep cycle lead battery. Cheers
amoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 21:50   #9

Boat: csy 37

Been using a digital voltmeter for years and have had long battery life. For ordinary flooded lead acid batteries (the best IMHO) the chart above is a good guide. You should not be charging or discharging the battery for maybe half an hour before taking the reading. I rarely let my battery bank go below 70%.

There are more expensive and complicated ways of doing this, but I believe in keeping things simple.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 23:36   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Some handy graphs in here, bearing in mind temperature will change things.
https://pssurvival.com/PS/Batteries/...ltage_1993.pdf
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 07:41   #11

Boat: Hunter 380 - 2000 - 38'

I have been stumped by my battery not holding a charge. I have one house bank 12V 8D battery. It is too large to remove in the winter during layup, so I charge it with shore power for a week before putting her to bed. A few times during the winter I run a cord to the A/C and charge for a weekend. I have never, even when new, seen the battery at 13.6V. It is now 3 years old. I just went to Bermuda and back with it, but I was really nursing it along by not using much power. The charging voltage is at 14.4V. Is there a way to bring this back? Simple charging doesn't seem to do it.
Bacchanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 08:00   #12

The Ample Power Primer http://www.amplepower.com/primer/primer.pdf
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 08:01   #13

I agree that your batteries will serve you well if always kept above 50% discharge. Also, if you have ever let them go to 10.5 volts they are dead and cannot be revived. Go to the battery store.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 08:11   #14

Boat: Lots of boats.

I have had luck bringing back old motorcycle batteries by using chargers with a pulse cycle. I guess it shakes the sulfation loose.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 08:48   #15

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

I live full time aboard and charge through solar and wind. some times I have to shut the wind off. I've never let it get below 70 percent. If I have to leave for an extended period I attach a trickle charger at 2 amps to keep it charged. If you let a battery set for 24 hours or more at less than 90 percent sulfating will start on the plates. causing that part of the pate to never make electricity again. The reason a starting battery last so long, is it is recharged right away. one of my 4d banks is 8 years old now and still has about 75 % of its rated amp hours. I'm not frivolous with my electrical usage, but I don't skimp either....fans, lighting,refrigeration,electronics, entertainment.....

Maintain the wiring, maintain the charging and they will last.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery