Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 12:33   #16

Re: When to use Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahsailor View Post
Your setup is similar to mine: 1100 AHr T105s at 12V, 840 W solar panels but on a mooring. With fridge, freezer, LED TV, KVH sat antenna we have never seen below 80% on the Balmar Smart Meter, and usually are at 90% in the mornings. They are always at 100% by 1 PM on a sunny day. This small draw should result in very long battery life, so I would just not hook up to shore power unless you have a string of cloudy days.
Very similar setup. thank you gives me some idea what I can expect. I guess I should try to set up a battery monitor system. Thanks
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 13:15   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
My battery bank is 12 6volt golfcart batteries. Total over 1300 amps. Voltage in the morning is never less then 12.5. Often 12.6. No battery monitor. Usual running 3 small fans. 9 cubic ft fridge and 12 volt tv and kvh satellite system and led lights
I fear you may have gone way overboard on your battery bank/ solar charging system. It sounds like your daily consumption is only around 100 Ah per day. If so a 400 Ah battery bank and 500 W of solar would be plenty. Having more provides safety factor for increased consumption or several days of no sun, but at the expense of excessive initial system cost, consumers storage space, and reduced battery output (due to rarely being discharged more than 20% below full charge).

If you regularly sail in an area of several overcast days in a row, I would recommend a wind generator, instead of adding all of that extra battery and solar charging capacity.

Ramblin Rod
www.sheenmarine.com
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 13:46   #18

Boat: Oyster 55

A couple of people mentioned their Balmar Smart Gauge or Smart Meter. I've been planning to add a Victron Energy BMV 702 Precision Battery Monitor. Has anyone had experience with that model? Any others that I should consider?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 17:07   #19

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Very similar setup. thank you gives me some idea what I can expect. I guess I should try to set up a battery monitor system. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
A couple of people mentioned their Balmar Smart Gauge or Smart Meter. I've been planning to add a Victron Energy BMV 702 Precision Battery Monitor. Has anyone had experience with that model? Any others that I should consider?
I have a Balmar Smartgauge for sale, brand new for $250, shipping is around $10 here in the states. Let me know if either is interested. (:

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar