Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 13:37   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Where can I find new terminals for this cable?

Some years ago I was scurrying around town trying to find someplace, anyplace, that could put a proper crimp in the "damn it, that battery terminal in the wrong size!" last cable as part of a gut rewiring job. Seemed like no one had crimping tools to rent or loan or charge for, so I tried the tool rental counter at the biggest Home Depot around.
"No, we don't have that, come with me man, we do a Jamaican Crimp on it" and the man ran off with my cable. We stopped at a large bench vise, where he locked up the terminal and proceeded to place a 4' long pipe over the vise handle and hoist his full weight up on it.
Yup, solid crimp. Totally against all standards, but a solid crimp.

I just can't understand why "big" crimping tools are only made for utility company budgets. Or why those cheap Chinese hydraulic ones only come in metric sizes. It just AIN'T rocket science...
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 17:44   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Being that the cable is way oversize, you can cut away some of the wire, and fit a smaller lug, [check a chart to ascertain the correct lug size], slip the lug on to the cable, but first slide on some shrink tube, even double up-two layers, you can use vice grips to crush the lug down onto the cable, and or use a hammer to crush the lug down, when good and tight, slip the shrink tubing down onto the lug, and heat, i have done this many times, the point is to make sure the lug is TIGHT around the cable, to eliminate any heat build up [resistance].
“Crush the lug with vice grips” does NOT a proper, serviceable crimp make. What it makes is a weak, high resistance, failure prone connection that’s likely to start a fire, either from overheating when you try to pull a hundred or so amps through it, or by coming apart and shorting to something.
This is BAD ADVICE.
carlwk3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 18:58   #48

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Remove the cable and bring to west marine. Have it premeasured so you know where to cut. If you buy the lugs from them they will let you use their bench, cutting and crimping tools.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 00:14   #49

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Guys, read the posts, all the posts, before typing, please! The OP has solved the problem and fitted the necessary bits and moved on to other problems. He does not now need your questionable advice.

Jim