Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 17:49   #16

Well, I'll chalk up my $2K quote to "let's milk this idiot for all he's worth" mentality at the boat yards.

I've got a stern pulpit of stainless, and then stanchions mounted every 4-5' or so. So it's just buying the stainless, bending it to fit the curve of the boat, and then mounting it onto the existing? Since I won't be welding it on (will I?!), I'd be grateful if you could give me a little insight into how to pull this off.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 17:52   #17

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Well, I'll chalk up my $2K quote to "let's milk this idiot for all he's worth" mentality at the boat yards.

I've got a stern pulpit of stainless, and then stanchions mounted every 4-5' or so. So it's just buying the stainless, bending it to fit the curve of the boat, and then mounting it onto the existing? Since I won't be welding it on (will I?!), I'd be grateful if you could give me a little insight into how to pull this off.
I see that you have a double-ender. It would be a bit harder to find a straight 6' shot. How many panels do you have?

I just realized that you are in SD. I should just come down and have a look. We get down their anyway. We have property down there. In fact, my renter just called and said that the roof's leaking......Is it raining down there?
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 17:55   #18

Zero at the moment. I've been holding off buying them until I knew what my mounting situation was going to look like. I was hoping for two Kyocera 85's on the sides, 40" long by 26" wide.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 18:00   #19

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Zero at the moment. I've been holding off buying them until I knew what my mounting situation was going to look like. I was hoping for two Kyocera 85's on the sides, 40" long by 26" wide.
Holy crap....I just realized that your boat was built in the same yard as Kanani (only Kanani was built in '80). I'll bet that you have the same interior and all the same deck hardware & mast. For being built in Taiwan, they used a lot of good gear.

We've gotta talk someday.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 09:39   #20

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
Hope this is the right place to get help on solar panel purchase . I built a radar/dinghy lift arch on the stearn of our irwin 40 and i am pleased with it , on top i have room for a 72" wide solar aray. I want the biggest bang for the $$$ and have zeroed in on the following: 2 Sanyo 205 watt -56.7volt panels @ $ 1158.00 and an outback mx 60 controller @ $ 475.00. before I purchase have I done anything wrong???. If I had enough computer savy, I would have posted pictures . thank to all the members of this forum this old sailor learn alot from you all merry Xmas Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 10:59   #21

Boat: Privilege 37
2 big panels looks good initially, but a shadow on one will cut output dramatically. damage to one is an expensive problem. Much better to split into a number of 55 - 100w panels - although these take up a bit more space.
Old 16-12-2007, 12:52   #22

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
monohulls does not have room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
2 big panels looks good initially, but a shadow on one will cut output dramatically. damage to one is an expensive problem. Much better to split into a number of 55 - 100w panels - although these take up a bit more space.
yeah I dont want to damage them,and I can control the shade when at anchor,but I need lots of juice and this is the most i can get , but you know us danes can make lots of mistakes ha ha Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote