Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2018, 19:11   #16

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Which Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Seriously fella.. 4 posts in an 11 post thread!

Sigh.. I know someone told you this a few days ago.. but it might be time to "chill".
Quote:
Really.. Please explain how.. Or his experience with said battery brands (or types). Or why 4 posts were required to get that point across. Has he actually had experience with the lead crystal batteries, or just quoting other peoples stuff (mostly Rod's)? Does he own a boat? Is he a full time liveaboard? Does he have extensive experience living in an off-grid scenario?

I disagree it was uncalled for, nor have I been the only one that has criticized.. but I stand to be proved wrong and will freely admit it if so!
You did that all by yourself.
What type and brand batteries do you use?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 19:33   #17

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
You did that all by yourself.
What type and brand batteries do you use?
And what exactly did I do "All by myself"?

Currently I have Costco Golf Cart 6V generic black cells.We have lived aboard as a family of five for almost 3 years. Our last time we plugged into shore power was 2 years ago. I currently have CALB lithium cells as replacements currently sitting at the port waiting for the clearance process (not replacing FLA due to failure, but more as an experiment).

Before cruising, I was a partner in an RV parts and services company (still am, but silent). I have worked on both RVs and boats with pretty much every type and brand of battery (yes including AGM, FLA, GEL, Lithium, even Firefly AGM).

I have been on CF for a long time and if you check my history, I have no interest in pissing matches.. HOWEVER.. I have watched that person post on pretty much every post to do with batteries or battery gear. Now please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he/she even owns a boat! Let alone has experience with ANYTHING he recommends or talks about! Hell, his 4 posts in this thread couldn't even follow what the OP had requested.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 20:09   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
And what exactly did I do "All by myself"?

Currently I have Costco Golf Cart 6V generic black cells.We have lived aboard as a family of five for almost 3 years. Our last time we plugged into shore power was 2 years ago. I currently have CALB lithium cells as replacements currently sitting at the port waiting for the clearance process (not replacing FLA due to failure, but more as an experiment).

Before cruising, I was a partner in an RV parts and services company (still am, but silent). I have worked on both RVs and boats with pretty much every type and brand of battery (yes including AGM, FLA, GEL, Lithium, even Firefly AGM).

I have been on CF for a long time and if you check my history, I have no interest in pissing matches.. HOWEVER.. I have watched that person post on pretty much every post to do with batteries or battery gear. Now please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he/she even owns a boat! Let alone has experience with ANYTHING he recommends or talks about! Hell, his 4 posts in this thread couldn't even follow what the OP had requested.
Please point to a post where John has not tried to help someone understand electrical systems on boats? His record here is flawless. Currently owning a boat is no qualification for providing good electrical knowledge.

I haven't sailed a long distance offshore since winning my class in the '94 Twostar in a 40 foot trimaran but lived and worked on superyachts for almost 15 years before that. If you are new to yachting you may want to Google it. I don't currently own a boat so does that make me unqualified to comment? I have kept up on tech and my wife and I are about to reenter the liveaboard life in the next few months.

I will always look forward to John's comments. I always learn something from him. Please don't scare away those that contribute the most here.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 20:58   #19

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Please point to a post where John has not tried to help someone understand electrical systems on boats? His record here is flawless. Currently owning a boat is no qualification for providing good electrical knowledge.

I haven't sailed a long distance offshore since winning my class in the '94 Twostar in a 40 foot trimaran but lived and worked on superyachts for almost 15 years before that. If you are new to yachting you may want to Google it. I don't currently own a boat so does that make me unqualified to comment? I have kept up on tech and my wife and I are about to reenter the liveaboard life in the next few months.

I will always look forward to John's comments. I always learn something from him. Please don't scare away those that contribute the most here.
First, let me congratulate you on returning to liveaboard life. I hope to see you out here sometime in the near future. However, I'm not sure why your past has any bearing on this conversation. Its great you won in your class in 94. I'm sure you would get along handily with some of my racing friends (a couple of medalists and a few still active racers). Sadly, I'm not a racer, or even a great sailor, so I won't be bragging about any of that.

I guess you missed this part of my post and choose to handpick the "boat owning" part. EXPERIENCE is the point.
"Let alone has experience with ANYTHING he recommends or talks about! Hell, his 4 posts in this thread couldn't even follow what the OP had requested."

Let me give an example.
"Deka's AGMs are not great.

Their GEL are OK though, can last a very long time but need special care."

Can John back this up? Where did he get this information? Has he worked on boats, RVs or offgrid installations where Deka batteries didn't perform properly? Did he work for a company that had issues with Deka's? Has he done long term installations with both Deka AGMs and Gels?

As to pointing out where he has not tried to help.. I thought I was pretty clear that this post is a really great example. The OP requested something very specific and not one of the posts by John answered that (of course mine didn't either, but I didn't just post a whole bunch of junk not requested about products I have read about). You could literally remove all 4 of John's posts and the OP would not be missing anything.

Like I said, I have no interest in pissing matches and I want the OP to actually get his question answered. I have said my piece, I will bow out now and move on.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 21:07   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I prefer posting multiple short posts on fewer topics rather than long meandering screeds.

As I scan multiple forums, hundreds of threads I may not remember context, just respond to the latest posts, forgive if I repeat the same snippets in a given thread.

Finally I appreciate the support, thanks, no fears about my getting discouraged.

To those concerned for my mental health, I appreciate your concern but "I Yam what I Yam"

8-D
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 21:09   #21
cruiser

The OP question was answered.

Trojans yes

Deka AGM no.

Other possibilities discussed may be helpful to others.
Old 18-07-2018, 06:00   #22

Boat: Montevideo 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Dunno if discussion of "US Made" and "Sam's Club" and so forth would benefit the OP in Cape Town, South Africa.

Jannie, I think a pair of Trojan 6V T-105s gives approx. 220 Ah/pair @12V. How'd you get "total 675Ah"?

-Chris
My special math.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 06:08   #23

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Jannie, I think a pair of Trojan 6V T-105s gives approx. 220 Ah/pair @12V. How'd you get "total 675Ah"?

-Chris
It's the "new math".
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 06:31   #24

How do I close this post now. Thank you all for your comments . It is appreciated and I have more info now. I should have given a little more info, but I got more than enough now. We had a flood in January and insurance has just paid cash.The batteries cooked and I disconnected 2. We ran with 3 shot FLA batteries for the last few months.
I am in Grenada and would love to meet with Traveller on the island spirit. Which bay are you in?
Please.
Old 18-07-2018, 06:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
I won't go all "anchor discussion" on you, but will point out you are comparing naval oranges to tangerines
The corresponding Duracell battery to the Trojan T-105 is the GC2:

Not the AGM battery you are showing.
omg thanks.
Old 18-07-2018, 06:34   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
If you are considering FLA GC2 (6v Golf Carts) I'd also look at Crown; US Made and we've had very good results with them for less $$ than the equally good or better (and more$$) Trojan. If you have available height the 145 models have more AH...
Thank you ... no height.
Old 18-07-2018, 06:50   #27

Talking Re: Which Battery?

Quote:
Dunno if discussion of "US Made" and "Sam's Club" and so forth would benefit the OP in Cape Town, South Africa.

-Chris
Thanks for your input... I am in Grenada WI.
I have 5 x 12V batteries . Now I need 10. So 5 x 12V / 10 = 6.
6 batts are 4 short of 10 that I require...so add 4 x 105 ( 420Ah) to 255 Ah and viola!!! African Math 10. Did you skip that class? Stop using pure math . African math can give you the answer you want, not the answer that everyone else assumes are correct. I give classes for gratis . Second Tuesday every week.
Old 18-07-2018, 06:51   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie Radiance View Post
My special math.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
It's the "new math".
Old 18-07-2018, 06:53   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

I have used the flooded Trojans and these required water top/up just too often.

Get something service free instead. imho.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 07:02   #30
cruiser

As long as you don't mind paying a lot more $/AH/year for that convenience.

Tags
battery