Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 12:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau 456
Which electrical lift pump to use?

I have a small 5kw diesel generator with a z400 2 cylinder kubota engine that runs at 3600 rpm. The original mechanical lift pump is cracked and leaking. I would like to replace it with a Facet electrical lift pump but not sure which one. Phasor generators use the Cube Solid State Facet pumps with success. The question is which one fits my little engine? I called Facet and they recomended the 40185 model with a lift of 36" min and a flow of 32gph at 9 to 11.5 psi. It seems like 32 gph flow is kind of high but I am not sure. The generator is about 25 feet away from the tank and about 2 feet higher. Any suggestions?
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 14:25   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by avazquez
I have a small 5kw diesel generator with a z400 2 cylinder kubota engine that runs at 3600 rpm. The original mechanical lift pump is cracked and leaking. I would like to replace it with a Facet electrical lift pump but not sure which one. Phasor generators use the Cube Solid State Facet pumps with success. The question is which one fits my little engine? I called Facet and they recomended the 40185 model with a lift of 36" min and a flow of 32gph at 9 to 11.5 psi. It seems like 32 gph flow is kind of high but I am not sure. The generator is about 25 feet away from the tank and about 2 feet higher. Any suggestions?
Ideas
Old 26-02-2014, 14:39   #3

Re: Which electrical lift pump to use?

32 gph should work just fine.

FLIX!!! of NAPA Fuel Pump #610-1051 While these are for 21 hp engines, the fuel return takes care of the quantity of fuel on your generator anyway, right?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 17:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by avazquez View Post

I. A bit rusty on this but I did something similar so bear with me with these thoughts....

Firstly I have the feeling that 9 -11 is a bit high, don't they make one with a little less, I think I have a Walbro with 4 -7 but could be wrong.
Next, you have to fix the mechanical pump or you might run the risk of pumping diesel into the sump through the cracked rubber diaphragm .
Next , the new pump should be able to suck through it when it is off, this way it works as a backup.
Next, your reasons for making this change are for the wrong reasons, by making this addition, you will add an easier method of bleeding which is an added safety feature in an emergency as bleeding becomes a much quicker activity. Plus there is another method of providing the engine with diesel in an emergency.
Next, the design should allow the pump to be switched off, so it is not on all the time. The mechanical pump should remain as the main pump.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 18:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss
I. A bit rusty on this but I did something similar so bear with me with these thoughts.... Firstly I have the feeling that 9 -11 is a bit high, don't they make one with a little less, I think I have a Walbro with 4 -7 but could be wrong. Next, you have to fix the mechanical pump or you might run the risk of pumping diesel into the sump through the cracked rubber diaphragm . Next , the new pump should be able to suck through it when it is off, this way it works as a backup. Next, your reasons for making this change are for the wrong reasons, by making this addition, you will add an easier method of bleeding which is an added safety feature in an emergency as bleeding becomes a much quicker activity. Plus there is another method of providing the engine with diesel in an emergency. Next, the design should allow the pump to be switched off, so it is not on all the time. The mechanical pump should remain as the main pump.
Well the mechanical pump works fine but its body has a hairline crack and leaks oil from the bottom part. The diaphragm is ok. The idea is to remove it and cap the mounting hole with the appropriate kubota cover as seen inthe following picture of the Phasor. This is exactly what I want to do but not sure which Facet to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-499999430.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	76853  
Old 26-02-2014, 21:19   #6

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Well the mechanical pump works fine but its body has a hairline crack and leaks oil from the bottom part. The diaphragm is ok. The idea is to remove it and cap the mounting hole with the appropriate kubota cover as seen inthe following picture of the Phasor. This is exactly what I want to do but not sure which Facet to use.
Could the mechanical pump be repaired with a small amount of JB Weld. I've repaired a tractor engine block with it..

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 10:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408
Could the mechanical pump be repaired with a small amount of JB Weld. I've repaired a tractor engine block with it.. Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD
Can't bet on JB Weld. The pump is almost imposible to reach once the generator is installed in the boat. I either get the replacement or replace with electrical.
Old 28-02-2014, 18:58   #8

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Can't bet on JB Weld. The pump is almost imposible to reach once the generator is installed in the boat. I either get the replacement or replace with electrical.

Yes, I sometimes forget the access issues aboard. Electric also makes priming much easier. Get one that allows for pressure regulation, to stay within manufacturers specification for the injection pump and fuel system.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 21:59   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

You could go with the electric and put a small header tank somewhere and gravity feed to the genset injector pump. My main engine is Kubuto and they supplied me with a small electric lift pump unfortunately they did not list a part number on the invoice and there is nothing on the pump itself. Works OK though and I have just completed about 9,000 nm with it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 17:36   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

I have a single cylinder kobuta, E300. I just ordered a Facet 40176 for it. Similar sized gensets use it. Waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

I replaced the old pump last year, thinking bigger was better. The new pump (not the Facet) gets so hot you can't touch it.

Good luck
pwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilliams
I have a single cylinder kobuta, E300. I just ordered a Facet 40176 for it. Similar sized gensets use it. Waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I replaced the old pump last year, thinking bigger was better. The new pump (not the Facet) gets so hot you can't touch it. Good luck
That one sounds more logical. I ordered it too. I know facet is used in airplanes so it must be reliable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3923827811.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	77011

My engine is a two cylinder z400.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:17   #12

If you decide to go with a electric lift pump, maybe you could throw a dummy light in the dash to let you know if the lift pump is not running for whatever reason. It's not going to be good for the injection pump to be pulling fuel from the tank on it's own.

Mechanical pumps are nice as you will have flow so long as the engine is running and you can avoid having more electrical stuff. Electric pumps are nice if you need to prime the fuel lines, purge the fuel filter ect.

Maybe something like this would work:

JEGS Performance Products 41373 JEGS Warning Light Kits - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
Mikerodrig27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical, lift