Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 21:46   #16

Boat: Aquila 44 Power Catamaran
Re: Which genset

Entec is the way to go because no More Pesky water pump impeller changes...If you get the new electric pump options....5 yeas now trouble free genset..It is only 4 Kw, if thats enough....

Super Quite Full enclosure, its very impressive with the sound proofing......I'm going to Northern lights with new boat...I wish it had the Entec's electric water pump though.
mtmilam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 22:57   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmilam View Post
Entec is the way to go because no More Pesky water pump impeller changes. . . . . . I wish it had the Entec's electric water pump though.
Just curious - but how do you reliably pump raw water for cooling without an vanned impeller in the pump (be it electrically driven or mechanically driven)?

I would think that the cooling water for the genset's engine would be so critical that only a "vanned impeller" type pump would have the required reliability and safety. A "slinger" or centrifugal disc type pump (like those used in air conditioning systems) would be too easily fouled by debris or grass or little fish or whatever comes down the hose from the sea.

Add to that the power source for the "electric water pump" can be easily interrupted and then you lose cooling and the genset shuts down. A least a mechanically driven water pump will operate as long as the engine is operating.

Just curious . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 06:46   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Electric raw water pumps are pretty common on gensets, particularly larger ones - and are usually an option on smaller ones. Losing power or fouling is no more of an issue than losing or fouling an impeller. Actually, losing power is less likely to happen with an electric pump (think how long the electric fuel pump on gensets go without power interruption vs. how often impellers fail).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 07:06   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmilam View Post
Entec is the way to go because no More Pesky water pump impeller changes...If you get the new electric pump options....5 yeas now trouble free genset..It is only 4 Kw, if thats enough....
I have to ask though, what kind of pump is the electric?

All pumps whether driven by a belt off the engine or electric motor use one of the same methods to pump water. Could be a rotary pump with metal or flexible impellers, a diaphragm type, etc.

So which one is used here? I have had just about every style of pump over the years and sooner or later they all need some kind of maintenance. Have also had flexible vane impeller pumps that went for years without changing the impeller.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 07:18   #20

Boat: Seapiper 35

I have had a NextGen 3.5kw for in excess of 15 years and can attest to their reliability and above all their quality of service.
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 07:35   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgd137 View Post
I have had a NextGen 3.5kw for in excess of 15 years and can attest to their reliability and above all their quality of service.
How many hours on it? What has required the most maintenance?
Any "quirks"?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 08:42   #22

Boat: Seapiper 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
How many hours on it? What has required the most maintenance?
Any "quirks"?
Hours, many ,but I can't say I had to replace the hour meter at some point. The greatest problem was the exhaust elbow which they since redesigned. Next was the starting solenoid which had to be replaced and adjusted a number of times(probably the most annoying). An odd failure with a fan blade coming loose in the electric generator(odd happened only once). Once got water in the cylinder due to a poor installation resulted in major overhaul.

Before this genset I had an Apollo which was a complete disaster, I don't think they are around anymore and for good reason.
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 14:13   #23

Boat: Aquila 44 Power Catamaran

On the Entec... The pump is like a air conditioner pump... It's wired directly to the genset, via a fuse. When motor starts, pump is on.... I also have a very good sea strainer before the pump.... Entec has a exhaust temp sensor, where if water flow stops or gets to slow, gen shuts off. The pump does have to be mounted right at water line or below, like a AC pump... I like the setup.... AC pumps run a lot without muc trouble .... Just another way to skin the cat ;D
mtmilam is offline   Reply With Quote