Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 04:50   #16

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Which Kyocera panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1048 View Post
[update]

Just got off phone with local dealer and they confirmed that they will not sell to me since I'm not a residential install. Looks like they are doing so well that they are just turning away business. Oh, well. There panels must not be good enough for a marine install.

So we have come full circle to 2 Kyocera 140 watt panels.
My friends and I have purchased many SunPower panels for our boats with no problems.

Do not try and purchase SunPower panels from a Solar panel installer or dealer.

Purchase SunPower panels from and electical distributor and they are tax free in the USA.

Here are a few place to try and they drop ship to your home on a pallet.

http://www.munroelectric.com/silvereclipse/index.jsp?path=solar_products&prev=solar&altLM=sol ar

http://www.energymatters.com.au/sunpower-230watts-grid-connect-solar-module-p-931.html

http://www.solarpanelbuzz.com/solarpanels.sunpower.html

http://www.kwsolarsolutions.com/contact.php

http://partsonsale.com/solarpanels.htm
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 11:41   #17

Boat: Hunter 31

Thanks for the info Cotemar!

$1200-1300 for 341 watts is a deal breaker for me though
jared1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 12:47   #18

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
[update] So we have come full circle to 2 Kyocera 140 watt panels.
I'm curious as to why you've come back to the 140 watt units?
Posts # 3, 4 & 6 suggested that you consider going with more power.
Would you be willing to explain your reasoning?

Look, I know it's your boat - and your wallet - but people never complain that they have TOO MUCH solar power, it's always about how to upgrade for MORE power, and if the original wiring job and controller will handle the increased current, and how to expand the brackets/mounting system. Please: will you satisfy my curiosity?

Kyocera 140 Watt at USD 291.00 X2 = $582 = $2.08 per watt
Kyocera 215 Watt at USD 317.00 X2 = $634 = $1.47 per watt
Kyocera 245 Watt at USD 349.00 X2 = $698 = $1.43 per watt

Where I got the prices, and the drop ship source: Kyocera Solar PV Panels - e Marine Systems
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 13:52   #19

Boat: Hunter 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
I'm curious as to why you've come back to the 140 watt units?
Posts # 3, 4 & 6 suggested that you consider going with more power.
Would you be willing to explain your reasoning?

Look, I know it's your boat - and your wallet - but people never complain that they have TOO MUCH solar power, it's always about how to upgrade for MORE power, and if the original wiring job and controller will handle the increased current, and how to expand the brackets/mounting system. Please: will you satisfy my curiosity?

Kyocera 140 Watt at USD 291.00 X2 = $582 = $2.08 per watt
Kyocera 215 Watt at USD 317.00 X2 = $634 = $1.47 per watt
Kyocera 245 Watt at USD 349.00 X2 = $698 = $1.43 per watt

Where I got the prices, and the drop ship source: Kyocera Solar PV Panels - e Marine Systems

There is another thought process going on in the back of my head of mounting these panels too. I have to figure out a way to mount them on a bimini frame that doesn't exist yet and with a split backstay makes it interesting. The dimensions of a 140 watt panel (26' 60') x2 fit nicely between the split backstay.

Love the feedback though. I'd rather air out all my thinking now and end up with a nice system then think I have it all right then be disappointed.

2x215 watt Kyocera's look nice. I will try to see what that looks like over the back of the boat.

I'm currently prototyping with cardboard and testing what how it would mount on the back of the boat and having the ability to adjust the panels in 1 plane.
jared1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 17:33   #20

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
I have to figure out a way to mount them on a bimini frame that doesn't exist yet and with a split backstay makes it interesting.

I'm currently prototyping with cardboard and testing how it would mount on the back of the boat and having the ability to adjust the panels in 1 plane.
Aha! Makes sense now - Thank you for sharing! If time allows, would you please let us know how the project develops? Good luck!

In the unsolicited ideas area re tilting: Photo shows my rig. Should have polished it first, but oh, well. {Ignore that chunk of planking... temp storage.}

The panels are mounted on a frame; the frame is attached to port/stbd swivels that are basically two pieces of SS held together with a large bolt. The bolts have a handle for quick loosen/tighten, allowing fwd/aft tilting. The nut is welded to the inner piece. The lower part of the swivel is welded to my stern arch. The flat piece under the mount bar provides added strength for the dinghy davits and is incidental to the solar array.

No probs with winds in the forties, but higher than that and I attach a safety line on the leading corners. (Peace of mind, mostly.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Soloar Panel Mount.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	65931  
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 18:51   #21
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
$1200-1300 for 341 watts is a deal breaker for me though
Ouch! Surely that must be pricing for the soft panels? We know soft panels (especially those with SunPower cells) are very expensive. The soft panels will suit some people, of course.

We checked the links in Cotemar's post (#16) but they seemed to often be listing the previous generations (E19's etc) of SunPower panels...and prices have fallen a fair amount in recent years...?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 11:46   #22

Boat: Amel 50

I bought 3 260w solar panels for $300 each, plus shipping, early this year. They are probably cheaper now as the prices drop quite fast. Just do an Internet search and compare prices with delivery.

The Sunpower panels are way too expensive. Unless, you want to have the latest and best, you can find much cheaper panels than Sunpower. Even better, if you wait a year, there will be much more efficient and cheaper panels available. I will probably replace mine in 3-4 years.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 12:23   #23

Boat: Hunter 340

Has anyone tried the Solbian flexible high efficiency (22%) panels? Really expensive but I like the low weight and zipper instllation for my bimini! Are these panels worth the extra dollars?
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 12:56   #24

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I live pretty close to the Kyocera Solar plant in San Diego. Can I purchase direct from them, or at least pick up directly instead of incurring shipping charges?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 13:38   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have two older Kyocera 135 watt panels on either side of my stern pulpit. I bought them used and have had them on the boat for 4 years, no idea how old they are. They seem to be working just fine. Used a nylon rail clamps from West Marine to mount the panels. Use a stick to extend them horizontal. Spend most of their time vertical against the rail except when I'm out cruising. Have a very low drain lifestyle, no refrigeration, so they keep up with my usage stored vertically. If you mount them on the pushpit, you have to be careful maneuvering around pilings while they are extended horizontal. I drop them vertical whenever manuevering in a Marina.

PM me with your email address and can send you some photos if you want them.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kyocera