Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2023, 02:35   #16

Re: Which MPPT Controller size required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosso1 View Post
So with the space I have available on my cruiser and to keep aesthetically pleasing, I'm going with 3 x 170w panels and the Epever 100/40 Tracer 4210AN with a few little extras and hopefully all will be good.
Congratulations. Having it done by a professional really takes care of the worries. Your setup sounds right from what manufacturers recommend. Not ending up with an oddball setup is usually a good thing too. Enjoy it.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2023, 16:06   #17

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Congratulations. Having it done by a professional really takes care of the worries. Your setup sounds right from what manufacturers recommend. Not ending up with an oddball setup is usually a good thing too. Enjoy it.

Your results may vary. Had a fellow cruiser have solar installation done in MX mainland by a yard pro and it caught on fire on the way to LaPaz a few years back.
Nigel Calder is your friend…
Doing the research and your own installation can be very valuable when it comes time to maintain and use it….
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2023, 16:26   #18

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
I bet we all wish this was true, but I've seen more than one job done by professionals and they didn't look or work very professionally.

One bigger job on a friend's Lagoon 500 where he had 2400Wp or so installed with one MPPT per panel. The daily harvest just didn't match what I expected. After a few minutes of digging, I realized that the professional specified 75/15 MPPT controllers thus capping his ouput from each panel to 15A. A swap to 100/30 controllers unlocked about 40-45% more harvest every day.

Ask around and you will find many horror stories done by professionals. You should have a basic understanding of things, even if you pay others to advise and install.

Tags
mppt, size