Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 14:12   #1

Boat: John Alden Malabar 13. 66ft
Which small Generator

We are replacing a Fischer Panda 4200, which has given endless problems over the last 4 years.

The 2 small generators on offer here in New Zealand are the Fischer Panda 5000i Neo which has the Fischer Panda engine not the Ferryman Diesel, which caused many of our previous problems, or the WhisperPower piccolo 5 which we can’t find any reviews for.

I’m looking for advice to which one is best, or if there is another generator that I should be considering.
StuartArmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:23   #2

Re: Which small Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartArmstrong View Post
We are replacing a Fischer Panda 4200, which has given endless problems over the last 4 years.

The 2 small generators on offer here in New Zealand are the Fischer Panda 5000i Neo which has the Fischer Panda engine not the Ferryman Diesel, which caused many of our previous problems, or the WhisperPower piccolo 5 which we can’t find any reviews for.

I’m looking for advice to which one is best, or if there is another generator that I should be considering.

If you rely on your AC generator for daily use, it would be best to steer clear of any of the 3,000 -3,800 rpm ultra compact units on offer and install a 1500 rpm 4 pole genset. The two brands that I like and am very familiar with are "Northern Lights" and "Kohler", both very reliable and equally quiet running. Cummins Onan have a few decent offerings too but they went to a fully electronic governor which could leave you with a freezer full of warm ice cream if it failed.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:32   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Do you have access to the Kubotas? There is something to be said for their reliability and easy access to inexpensive parts.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Could a Honda possibly fill your needs?
If not I’d go with the Whisper Power, but only because I would not want a Fischer Panda. I’ve never had one, but hear they have many problems.

However the Whisper Power does not seem at first glance to be any kind of heavy duty machine, my guess it’s intended to be used like I do my Nexgen, that is occasionally and not all day long, every day kind of use.

However I wonder what indirect water cooling means.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:31   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

DON'T GET ANOTHER 1 BANGER!.

If you want/need a generator and a Honda can't do it get a real generator, even if it's a used rebuilt one.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:37   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

My experience with small gensets is Pandas and Westerbekes. Both very bad and Panda still much worse than Westerbeke.

I used small Honda gensets too (1000i and 2000i) gasoline driven portable units. Light, easy to replace and place, repairable and cheap (compared to say Pandas).

Small gas Hondas are RELIABLE which to me counts heaps.

At any rate, I would not have a Panda on my boat, ever.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator