Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35   #1

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
Which solar panel???

Which one of these solar panels should I choose?
Technical Datas - Würth Elektronik GmbH & Co. KG********( solar panels,cis fab, solar regulator, photovoltaic systems, cisfab, charge regulator, stand alone inverter, solar modules, photovoltaic, inverter, stand alone systems, solar power, solar home
I run a twelve volt system on board and I live on board. I know that voltage with solar panel outputs is a little confusing and I am looking for advice.
Thanks
Marno
Old 01-08-2007, 18:48   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I am confused as well, but I choose 2 Shell (Siemens) panels.

Very happy with the result.
(20 year warranty, how can ya go wrong?)

D
Old 01-08-2007, 18:57   #3

Marno...how many amp hours of power per day do you need and what kind of space do you have for panels? As a rule of thumb...divide panel wattage by 3 to determine how many amp hours you will get from them on a sunny day.
Example...if you need 50AH's per day on board...get 150+ watt solar panels.
Most 12V large panels put out around 17V-18V in bright sunlight and need a controller or regulator if you don't want to burn out your batteries.
A good Mppt controller/regulator will help this a bit. My guess is solar is a less good idea where you are than in most places! (G)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 19:02   #4

All...the California Energy Commission Testing for solar panel energy rebates uses their PTC standard which provides a more real world performance rating for panels than the standard commonly used by industry which tends to overstate performance. Here is a link with access to the performance of most all current solar panels...
Eligible Photovoltaic Modules
Old 01-08-2007, 23:44   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
CSY Man,
I may be able to get a good deal on these, Solar panels in the UK are ridiculously expensive.

Camaraderie,
I need about 150 amps a day, so that sounds as though I will need about 450 watts. I don't have many good spots on the boat to mount them, I may have to put a stainless bar between a couple of stanchions so I have somewhere for them to go. I am planning to head for the South Pacific from here, so solar will be more relevant then I hope.

Thanks
Marno
Old 02-08-2007, 22:09   #6

Marno...That's a lot of panels but yes...you need about that much to meet your needs. I've heard Pacific Cruisers say they don't get much wind generator output on the downwind run to the islands so solar is probably a good choice. We has wind and solar in the Bahamas and Caribe to get the same 150amp hours you need and the wind gave us 2/3 of our amps with 160 watt panels. Guess it all depends on where you are and where you're headed + how much real estate you can fit on your boat! Good luck.