Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 13:37   #1

Which Velcro / hook & latch for flexible solar panels

I am so confused; what I thought would be a simple search for Velcro to secure flexible solar panels to my bimini is turning out to be difficult. What I'm trying to do is follow the advice from marine how to to sew "lapels" with adhesive Velcro on the top and bottom of the solar panels and corresponding sew-on Velcro on the fold-over lapel.

It seems like various websites suggest "Industrial Strength" Velcro. Where it gets confusing is this is a nylon based product, where Sailrite and others recommend polyester (better UV, water resistance....). To complicate things, even in the Velcro line, there's different hook and loop strengths and different adhesives.

I need both sew-on and adhesive hook & loop around 30' with the sew-on hook/loop working with the adhesive same loop/hook.

One option would be to use sew-on for both sides and use double-sided tape to attach to the panels and velcro. That way I could use polyester, without worrying about different hook & latch patterns, etc... Which double-sided tape would you recommend?

Any other recommendations? Thanks,
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panels, panels