Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2012, 08:59   #16

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Re: Wind Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Hi -- yes, I'm not trashing Rutland just yet -- I'm not sure yet why the output is like this. The jury is out as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not in the UK at the moment and haven't had a chance to work on it with the manufacturer. I will definitely post all about my experiences when I get it figured out. I researched the choice of windgen extensively before I bought I found a lot of positive comments about the 914i.
Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. I understand you haven't made any conclusions yet.

We've heard good things, too, which is why that's the model we settled on. We made note of the various generators we saw during our Bahamas cruise last year and talked to many people about what they were getting out of them. I know they aren't one of the highest output models out there. However, quiet is as important to me as output.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 09:06   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. I understand you haven't made any conclusions yet.

We've heard good things, too, which is why that's the model we settled on. We made note of the various generators we saw during our Bahamas cruise last year and talked to many people about what they were getting out of them. I know they aren't one of the highest output models out there. However, quiet is as important to me as output.

Scott
And what did people tell you about their real, practical output?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 09:10   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

We have an AirBreeze, originally fitted about 18 months ago. A bit noisy, especially in the cabin below where it is mounted. We are generally pleased with its output. However, the first one broke within 4 months of fitting, was returned to Athens for inspection and after a long winded and tiresome exchange of opinions etc etc, was replaced. We got it back about two months after we sent it. The second one broke in exactly the same way this winter. This was returned to the main agent in Germany and was repaired and returned within two weeks.

Each time the wind gen breaks we have to bear the cost of returning it for repair /replacement, a total of €100 so far.

We're not particularly happy with it at all and if it breaks again we shall be asking for a full refund and buying something else.
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 10:58   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

If you google a bit there is somewhere a report from people who used Rutlands in their Southern Ocean adventures. They delivered.

However, they will not match things like AirX or D400 - but this again we also know from the specs.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 11:55   #20

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And what did people tell you about their real, practical output?
I don't have anything specific at hand. I came away with the impression that the Rutland was satisfactory, but not in the same league in output with the airX or larger diameter blades. I can think of one boat we spoke with who were very happy with their Rutland 913. So I'm still inclined to think something is not right with your rig. In a decent breeze you should be getting far more output than you are seeing. If 1 amp was typical, the company would go out of business quickly.

Re: noise, I have a friend across the dock with an older AirX and I can tell you that they ain't the quietest one around. I understand that there are retrofit blades which help, and he doesn't have those. I'm concerned about the noise for our own comfort as well as the neighbors. So I'm willing to sacrifice some output for that.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 12:47   #21

Boat: Niagara 31

I've had a Rutland 913 for three summer seasons now on Lake Ontario.

I was initially very disappointed in the output, but i've scaled down my expectations. My best use of it is to keep my batteries tuned up when I'm away for a week. (I try to sail for a week, be home for a week - seems to keep the divorce prospects away !!!). I don't like to leave my shore power charger on, as once I had a battery that gassed, trying to charge the battery at 20 amps ! It melted the plastic bits that held the the battery strap that holds the battery in place. I don't have that concern with the 913 !

Additionally, with running it in the marina, I've never had any complaints about noise level.

When anchoring, I stay out a bit to catch more wind.

Overall, I find that I'm probably running my engine to top up the batteries by about 25% less.

Dollar for dollar, I think I could have got more output with solar panels. But, IMHO, they look ugly, whereas the 913 looks nice and is always a conversation point !

In retrospect, I've got it, might as well use it ! It also seems that power and noise with a WG are equivalent. More power = more noise and vibration, and vice versa.

P.S. Is there a spell checker on this forum ? It underlines words when I misspell them, but I don't see a "correction" method.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 14:11   #22

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

D400! I have installed two on other boats, wish I had one, hey, my aero6gen is for sale, but its 24volt. Was given a 24v Airx, need to get those blue blades for it.
But seriously, I changed the bearings on the D400's Nicely made, easy to fix, great support from mfg. Clever design with speaker type magnet and two stators, quiet, powerful I give it a 9.0 Well worth the money.
Old 15-05-2012, 15:03   #23

Boat: Cooper 416

I can only speak from experience,but all of the air products from Southwest are junk.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 16:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
I can only speak from experience,but all of the air products from Southwest are junk.
Do tell more about your experience with all their products.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 16:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
(...)

Re: noise, I have a friend across the dock with an older AirX
The point is that the Air series delivers (+), then they are light (++) and internally regulated (+++).

Ban for the noise, this would be what I want for my boat.

Have a look at the Plastizmo gizmo (Superwind is the name I believe) and there is Air-X - like product on the EU shore too (there is already info on this one on the four, use search). Both claim being silent.

There are also the AmpAir models 4 and 6 that deliver plenty of juice. Not my choice since I sometimes fix them for other sailors.

b.
Old 15-05-2012, 16:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
As asked by another poster: what is wrong with them? Why are they junk?

I have only had close and personal contact with older AirX units - found them of good design and quality.

My only complaint with AirBreeze is the noise. But they seem to have been around for a time now and I am yet to meet someone with one that failed in any way.

PLS expand on your msg - which models are bad and what is wrong with them?

THX,
b.
Old 15-05-2012, 17:30   #27

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We've had our air breeze now for 2.5 years. It's a land model, coated by myself every few months with boeshield and we have had no failures or problems of any sort. It's just not all that..........but it does work without any human intervention.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 18:34   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i liked the air X we sailed with in gulf of mexico--i want one of those--they work and sing a lil so i know they are making electricity. goood sounds.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 19:05   #29
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

We love our KISS -- it's now 10 years old and we've been able to replace bearings (after it was inadvertently caught in the outer bands of Hurricane Ida) and do other maintenance ourselves. It pretty much just whirrs on & on. The output at the lower wind speeds is why we have solar. Once it's over 13-15+, we're happy with the output. It will never be as good as solar, but if it's overcast & blowing, there are several times when we've had topped off batteries so at least we can watch movies & play on the computer! Cheers -- Jan

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 19:33   #30

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

I have an Air-x and yes it does make noise, needs 15 Kts to make any significant power, but then it is the bomb and the harder the wind blows the longer I can watch movies or play on the puter.
Have come home many a day and it is shutting itself off as the batteries are in float and that is with the fridge running all day in a closed up boat.
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator