Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Ketch 33'
Wind Generator Mounting

I have an air breeze wind generator. I have been searching the internet for mizzen mounts but the only ones I've seen ar flimsy looking or don't allow 360 degree turning. I don't want a top of mast mount because some of the standing rigging is located atop. Anyone here have any recommendation as to where to find a decent mount? I am in NJ near NYC. I cannot mount on deck because of the mizzen boom.
thesailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:18   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Wind Generator Mounting

For full rotation (360°) you need a mount that will hold the whole unit far enough away from the mast tube so that the blades will not strike the mast when rotating, but also high enough above the bottom portion of the mount so that the blades will not strike the mount itself.

Generally, you will have to design the mast mount yourself or have a machine/welding shop do the job. And then have it fabricated by the welding shop from marine grade aluminum tubing or shaped tubing.

To meet the requirements, others I have seen use a "tripod" mount system where two arms, one mounted on each side face of the mast come out horizontally the required distance mentioned above, and a third arm comes up at an angle from lower on the mast to join the two horizontal arms. Then a length of proper sized, thick wall tube is welded to the tripod and rises vertically from the apex the required distance and the wind generator is mounted on its end.

The "long" arm extending out horizontally requires the bottom angled leg of the tripod to support the weight of the wind generator.

No matter how "strong" you make the braces, their long "arms" will allow the wind generator to "twist" or move laterally and fore and aft. The "thinness" of the mizzen mast is a major problem in stopping lateral sway.

For wind generators like yours a "mast head" mount is the best answer. My Air Marine is mounted on top of the mizzen mast with a proper length of aluminum tubing that allows 360° rotation. The bottom the mount tubing is attached to the masthead cap.

The higher you can mount wind generators like yours or any with 3 or less blades the better performance you will get. For units you want to mount lower, I personally, recommend the wind "turbine" (5 or more short blades). The length of the blades is the limiting factor determining how long that "arm" extending out in front of the mast has to be.

An alternative is to not allow the unit to rotate 360° by installed "stops" to prevent the blades being able to contact the mast or the mount. Then the mount can be a lot smaller. Since sailboat at anchor are normally facing into the wind or at least have the wind forward of the beam, this restriction on swiveling rotation is not a problem.

In the photo below you can see the "restricted rotation" mount low on the mizzen mast and the masthead - full 360° rotation mount on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windgens Mizzen mast.jpg
Views:	4511
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	37283  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:28   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Ours is mounted on the mizzen with the hotwire mount. It's strong and looks good. However it does not allow 360 rotation. this has never been much of a problem as at anchor we are facing the wind, at the dock we can plug in, and running before the wind the apparent is rarely enough to be useful.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
... No matter how "strong" you make the braces, their long "arms" will allow the wind generator to "twist" or move laterally and fore and aft. The "thinness" of the mizzen mast is a major problem in stopping lateral sway.
For wind generators like yours a "mast head" mount is the best answer ...
Indeed.

See ➥
Sailing: Wind generator (Technical), Electrical-12/24V: Anchorages, Ports, Service and Support, Mizzen Bracket, Wind Gen Wiring, On Just Imagine we mounted an Air X Marine wind generator on a custom made brack...,Yacht, Sailboat, Dock, Sailing Boat,

I would prefer Osiris' twin horizontal arm design, to this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-Windgen.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	37284  
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Try this, add dimensions, stir and let simmer for the rest of the cruise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mizznmnt.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	37286  
Old 13-02-2012, 15:09   #6

I almost completed a round a world cruise. My best outfit after years of trial is: A shaft generator 20A, geared 3 to 1. An Hamilton Neptune Supreme that I hang in the mast at anchor: Big producer, not noisy if installed close to the genoa. Best of all a small Diesel generator, 3kw cocoon type, engine Kubota, bulletproof....
2007.pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 16:21   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pierre.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 16:42   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesailorguy View Post
I don't want a top of mast mount because some of the standing rigging is located atop.
The higher you mount, the more wind you'll get.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:49   #9

i have a vagabond 47 and want a wind generator, mounting in front of mizzen mast is a bit of a problem due to the forestay, my concern with top mount is i've read they can fall off and they create loss of boat stability, i'm also concerned about vibration noise in aft bearth, any thoughts?
popeyemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 13:31   #10

On a ketch I would forget to mount anything like a wind genetator. We cruise the world with our Seafinn 41 ketch, using at anchorage a Hamilton Neptune wind generator hoisted between the main mast and the genoa.
A speed governor is necessary to avoid excess blade speed and generator damage when you are facing a blow at anchorage. When you sail, the wind generator is stored in a safe place which is better than mizzen mast mounting where excessive wear is caused by the pitching and rolling, also producing not significant energy.
If you do not have a stationary generator, a shaft alternator is the best answer to your demand on board. 25 Amps Balmar Alternator is sufficient, pulley ratio 1 to 3, the 3 is the split pulley that mount on the shaft. For belt, use the adjustable heavy duty vee belt, 1/2". If you are concerned by high revs during manouvers in the port, you can have a clutch pulley mounted on the alternator. Hope this helps. Best regards. Pierre
2007.pierre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator