Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2012, 20:41   #61

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Wind Generator (My Logic & Questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
That is why I carry and use a Hamilton Ferris Towed water driven Generator.
There are other models called the AquaGen and the DuoGen, both of which work in air and water, I believe.

The penalty in drag seems to be half a knot.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 21:12   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
There are other models called the AquaGen and the DuoGen, both of which work in air and water, I believe.

The penalty in drag seems to be half a knot.
The Hamilton Ferris is a great when water driven but poor with air, it seems Air was an afterthought. The others mentioned are designed from the start to do both and do both not so well.
As far as losing .5 Knot I cant say I noticed it but I only towed it at night as the lures where out during the day. The only issue was the tangle bringing it in.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 22:54   #63

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV

The Hamilton Ferris is a great when water driven but poor with air, it seems Air was an afterthought. The others mentioned are designed from the start to do both and do both not so well.
As far as losing .5 Knot I cant say I noticed it but I only towed it at night as the lures where out during the day. The only issue was the tangle bringing it in.
I'll have a look at a water genny, but it seems like it would be a pain. Storing it and using it and converting it from wind to water, or not. Thank for the two water gen posts.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 15:46   #64

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I think the Duo Gen is mounted on a pole that actually pivots via a tackle directly into the water. You haul the purchase to bring it back up. The "alternator" portion stays dry on the rail.

It doesn't look like much of a hassle, but it does solve the issue of not making a lot of windspeed when sailing downwind.

I can't speak to its performance compared to other units, however, just that you can fly it or tow it and make amps.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 15:53   #65

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Again FWIW,

In the SW Pacific area where we cruise there seem to be a lot of non-functional Duo Gens. Not sure what specific problems have arisen, but a fair number of unhappy owners.

We used a home made towing genny on our previous boat and it was far better at supplying electricity at sea than our current wind gen is since it works equally well upwind or down. Ours put out about 10 amps (12 v) at our typical cruising speed of 6 knots (36 foot boat). OUtput went up at higher speeds, but it began to leap from the water which both reduced average output and increased stresses on the system.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 14-09-2012, 16:22   #66

The Duo Gen looks cool (I've never heard of it before), but I hope there are some gears or transmission to make the generator shaft spin faster than the blades would rotate when under water. Water has a lot more resistance than the air, and the shape of the blades look like it is more for above water use in the air to me. I have heard of boats with electric motors being able to regen when under sail, and a boat propeller shape makes more sense to me. But, maybe they did the tests and have proof that their design works the best.

*Edit* I just looked at the customer photos and it looks like you have to swap out the blades to go from air to water. I was wondering about that. I wonder if they looked at using a shallow angle in the water with the big blades? They probably aren't strong enough with how light weight they need to be.

I don't doubt that towable generators work and would be a good thing to look into. But while it might not be important to your boat, others would have a problem on calm days or in protected anchorages and marinas.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 16:22   #67
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I've had an Air Breeze for about 5 years. It should supply more than enough power for your needs. It's internally regulated, so all you really need to do is wire it directly to the house bank. Not only do you not need a charge regulator, but installing one would cause the generator to freewheel rather than shut off.

On our boat, you can hear the generator running if you're sleeping in the aft cabin, but not from the forward cabin or the saloon. It can not be heard from more than about 100' away. That's feet, not yards. I don't use the aftermarket blades because I'm still using the original, but will probably go aftermarket when I finally have to replace the current blades.
Old 14-09-2012, 17:00   #68

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

I have lived anchored out for thousands of totally alternate energy powered nights, and had both solar and wind, off and on over 40 years.

Over the long haul, solar is far more reliable, and with an appropriate sized battery bank, produces power 24 hours a day as well. If sized appropriately, solar works fine on cloudy overcast days too... It also last MUCH longer, (25 years average), and is wonderfully silent. SILENCE is why many of us go cruising!

The Air Breeze is not as offensive as the Air X, so it can be heard for only about 300', vs a quarter of a mile, like the Air X can. (These are ACCURATE measurements, made with GPS, by a partially deaf person, me.) It is the "weed whacker" pulsating "nature" of the noise, as much as the volume, that has this brand in a league of their own. Sorta like dragging auditorium chairs on a tile floor!

BOTH Southwest Windpower models, as well as ANY type of generator, boom box, etc, that can be heard by a neighboring boat in a tight anchorage, is anti social. It is much more fun to have friends.

If only wind will work for you, I suggest the "Kiss" unit, it is relatively cheep, powerful, and produces a soft, less irritating noise. I have spent many days anchored next to one of these, and never found it irritating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8290437 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	46529  
Old 14-09-2012, 19:55   #69

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Air X is really loud, could hear one clearly inside my boat over the noise of a hurricane and it was about 400 feet away. It sounded like a small jet taking off!
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 20:17   #70

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

I have the Air Breeze manual in PDF format and would be happy to send it to anyone requesting same and supplying their e-mail. It has some excellent installation diagrams. gts1544 at spettigue at gmail dot com

PS Be sure that the tower that you use to install it on has a good vibration deadening system.
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 20:38   #71
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
BOTH Southwest Windpower models, as well as ANY type of generator, boom box, etc, that can be heard by a neighboring boat in a tight anchorage, is anti social. It is much more fun to have friends.
It's been years since we were able to have a discussion about wind generators without having Mark Johnson accuse those who have certain models of being "anti-social." His words, repeated over and over.

Nothing anti-social about that, right?

Here on Cruisers Forum the same Mark Johnson has alternately described the noise made by the Air Breeze as: "like a weed wacker" (numerous threads); "like chalk squeeking [S.I.C.] on a blackboard;" "a high pitched, rapidly fluctuating 'Wissss ch ch ch ch ssss'"; a "constant drone;" and now, on this thread, "having a pulsating nature;" and, "sorta like dragging auditorium chairs on a tile floor."

This same Mark Johnson claims, repeatedly, to have empirical data from a GPS on how far away you can hear the noise. In round numbers, of course.

Consider not only the source, but the pattern of the rhetoric.
Old 14-09-2012, 21:08   #72

The Air breeze is not, REPEAT NOT the same animal as the Air-X or 403 those that seem to not know the difference are starting to seem a bit senile. The Air Breeze is slightly noisier than the D400, I can attest to that, the difference is marginal. The Air Breeze produces usable Amps before the D400 (first hand knowledge). The Air Breeze is not for High wind areas it is called a Air breeze for a reason.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 14-09-2012, 21:15   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post

Over the long haul, solar is far more reliable, and with an appropriate sized battery bank, produces power 24 hours a day as well.
What a load of bull, unless you are in some part of the world where no sane sailor wants to be, no solar panel that I know of produces power 24 hours a day.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 14-09-2012, 21:26   #74

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

how about one of these......

Human Power Generator -- Generate electricity yourself
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 21:32   #75

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

this should be the active links:

Human Power Generator -- Generate electricity yourself

Human Powered Generators For Sale to Generate Your Own Electricity

40 watts thereabouts.....unless you are lance armstrong then maybe you could produce around 350 add some dopeing and maybe 750Watts.....
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind