Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 11:08   #31
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
RB, the new AirWhisper does produce more power at lower windspeeds (say 12 knots and below) than the AirX - it is only at higher wind speeds that it drops behind. Like most things in boating, there is a compromise: the larger alternators/generators tend to take more wind to start charging (and tend to make more noise once they do), whereas the smaller ones tend to take less wind to start producing (and to make less noise), while having a maximum output at 30 knots reduced by as much as 50 %. If you expect that most of your time will be spent in protected harbours/anchorages, the Airwhisper may be the way to go. My question was whether anyone here actually owns one and can give a first-hand assessment of the claims.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 19:25   #32

Boat: Endeavour 42
Heads up. The folks on the SSCA energy topic are raving about some new blades now available for the AirX, 403, etc. They are manufactured in Portugal, cost approx $287 U.S. and supposedly silence the generator dramatically. The company's site is www.silentwindgenerator.com. Looks very interesting. I'm going to continue to monitor the SSCA site as several cruisers there have just installed the blade and are providing feedback.
Old 01-12-2008, 20:05   #33

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
For anyone still interested......

My AirX survived IKE even though Turtle was tossed up on shore and is still happily making enough to keep me in juice since we still have no dock power since the storm. Turtle is back in the water thanks to my stronger friends............m
Old 02-12-2008, 01:14   #34

Boat: sv ZILVER-Kalik 44
Rutland 913 re-assembly

GREAT, Thanks Skipperaris
It is a good explanation and it sounds easy. Before that I was a little bit afraid to do it my self. Even when you have left something out, the procedure looks simple.
But I don’t think you have forgotten anything.
The noise that my Rutland 913 generates started after a storm. But the strange thing is; that the generator outside still sounds the same but there is now a low noise flutter, a kind of rasping, no sanding but like a resistance (It always nice when people describe noises) when you are inside the boat and it starts to load later than before, from 12/14 knots. And maybe less then before. I will change the diode too.
We now live aboard in the gulf of Biscay (A bit more chilly than where you are). It’s a really nice and comfortable harbour and we will start sailing in February into the med, so I have the time to fixes it.
Safe winds
Paul
www.zilverzeiler.nl

[quote=skipperaris;228472]Maybe I can help you a little with this Paul.
After about 10 years of service I had to replace the blades on mine and also the plastic parts of the housing because they were perished probably by the sun.
I did this a couple of years ago so my memory is fairly vivid.
I took the whole thing apart and then reassembled it easily enough.
I got replacement parts from MARLEC (they were very helpful!) by post.

To replace the bearing
Paul Willems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:44   #35
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I have an air-x and have been using it 3 yrs now. I expect many of the reports of very noisy air-x have experienced the old air x design that used flutter to control the speed of the blades. The newer model uses an electric brake. Make sure you put good rubber isolation mounts on the tower. That makes all the difference in the world. The gen 4 air x starts making power at 7 kts. The power goes up exponentially with windspeed and climbs rapidly to over 30 amps around 30 kts wind. Solar makes more consistent power but the air-x has been essential for overnight sails keeping the autopilot, electronics ,running lights etc without having to start engine. Really shines with mainsail directing flow in its direction.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:59   #36

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Paul Willems - that the problems (noise, reduced output (later loading)) all started after a storm suggest that your wind turbine was damaged in the storm. Either a bearing isn't working as well as it did or, more likely, one or more blades has been slightly damaged. Both might produce the effects you report, but I'd bet on the blade damage being the culprit. One quick check on the blades is to view the rotor disk (the spinning blades) from the side at varying speeds. If the blurred images of the disk seem to wobble or generally don't lie flat, there's you answer. Look, too, for nicks in the blades or for something as simple as slightly loosened bolts or screws holding the blades in place.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:31   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Air BREEZE

If you are writing about the new model from Southwest Windpower, it is named the Air Breeze, not Air Whisper.

Chirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
RB, the new AirWhisper does produce more power at lower windspeeds (say 12 knots and below) than the AirX - it is only at higher wind speeds that it drops behind. Like most things in boating, there is a compromise: the larger alternators/generators tend to take more wind to start charging (and tend to make more noise once they do), whereas the smaller ones tend to take less wind to start producing (and to make less noise), while having a maximum output at 30 knots reduced by as much as 50 %. If you expect that most of your time will be spent in protected harbours/anchorages, the Airwhisper may be the way to go. My question was whether anyone here actually owns one and can give a first-hand assessment of the claims.

Brad
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:41   #38
CF Adviser

Thanks Witzgall, you're right - the Air 'Whisper'....
Old 02-12-2008, 10:37   #39

Boat: Morgan 45 'Fidelis'
KISS: Great support, quiet, simple, great power in the 17-22 Kt wind range!

But, don't forget the high side of KISS's power curve and the problems that ensue. I have owned and operated two of them for the past 6 years and am now feeling forced to swap one out for a Aero6Gen. Yes, they do produce quite a bit of power between 15-22 Kts apparent, and do so relatively quietly. At 23-24 Kts my units begin to over heat and free spin. They don't do this evenly (evenly within the same unit) so as one field overheats and opens up, the other keeps trying to work and the results is a loud vibration that is quite unnerving. The stop switch functionality doesn't work on my units above 13 Kts, again you get the assymetrical field problem and a lot of noise down below. If they are in the stop position and get a gust of 18 knots or more they will start up and quickly begin making a racket. You must attend to these units by pulling their tails into the wind and securing the blades.

All of that is workable but here is my issue: If and when you get into a sustained blow you may have nothing from your solars (owing to clouds) and nothing from your KISS units as they will spend most of their time overheated. I'm not talking crazy strong winds, just anything consistently above 25 Kts apparent (ever sail 60 True in 18 Kts?). I have found that in bad weather either at sea, or on the hook I quickly run out of power.

My answer will be a KISS on one pole for raw power, and an Aero6Gen on the other to keep up my needs when the wind blows hard for a few days. I will lose a few amps in the nice 17 Kt range, but will not have a constant noisy, cycling, sometimes scary runaway issue in the stronger breeze.

My thoughts and opinions for what they are worth.
Duckonfidelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:33   #40
CF Adviser

Thanks Duckon for sharing your experience with the KISS.

Brad
Old 02-12-2008, 12:47   #41

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Had my KISS for 4 years now. Yes it does cut out from heat when sustained wind is 25 knots but that can be fixed by tying it off the wind slightly. It will keep on producing without the thermal switches getting hot and cutting out. When it heats up and cuts out just stop it for a few minutes and let it cool down then tie it off the wind a bit and switch it on again.
Old 02-12-2008, 13:31   #42

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Willems View Post
GREAT, Thanks Skipperaris

The noise that my Rutland 913 generates started after a storm. But the strange thing is; that the generator outside still sounds the same but there is now a low noise flutter, a kind of rasping, no sanding but like a resistance (It always nice when people describe noises) when you are inside the boat and it starts to load later than before, from 12/14 knots. And maybe less then before. I will change the diode too.
We now live aboard in the gulf of Biscay (A bit more chilly than where you are). It’s a really nice and comfortable harbour and we will start sailing in February into the med, so I have the time to fixes it.
Safe winds
Paul
www.zilverzeiler.nl
The noise could be from the disk behind the rotor. Not clear why it is there.
I doubt you need to change the diodes. They would either work or not.
If you have a multimeter you can simply measure them.

let us know how it is going

Aris

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:41   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
Paul Willems - that the problems (noise, reduced output (later loading)) all started after a storm suggest that your wind turbine was damaged in the storm. Either a bearing isn't working as well as it did or, more likely, one or more blades has been slightly damaged. Both might produce the effects you report, but I'd bet on the blade damage being the culprit. One quick check on the blades is to view the rotor disk (the spinning blades) from the side at varying speeds. If the blurred images of the disk seem to wobble or generally don't lie flat, there's you answer. Look, too, for nicks in the blades or for something as simple as slightly loosened bolts or screws holding the blades in place.
Thanks RBEmerson, I will do that. I never crossed my mind that it could be something at the outside, like the blades, stupid!
I will check it and let you know.

Safe and Powerful winds
Paul
www.zilverzeiler.nl
Old 06-12-2008, 05:43   #44

new blades now available for the AirX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Happy View Post
Heads up. The folks on the SSCA energy topic are raving about some new blades now available for the AirX, 403, etc. They are manufactured in Portugal, cost approx $287 U.S. and supposedly silence the generator dramatically. The company's site is www.silentwindgenerator.com. Looks very interesting. I'm going to continue to monitor the SSCA site as several cruisers there have just installed the blade and are providing feedback.
This is great news. Finally, smart people. I ones tried to restyle my old AirX blades, before I bought a Rutland 913. Making the tips wider, sanding the sharp edges of the wings, etc., but still a lot of noise. I think the solution from the Portuguese people looks good (wider propellers). I am curious about the combination Breeze and the new wings. I saw that they live in Porto. We will visit Porto next spring when we pass Portugal to the Med, maybe then it is nice to have a look.

The Rutland delivers not enough power for us (we live on board). So I just bought a D400. They produce a lot of power and are also extremely quiet.

Safe and Powerful winds
Paul
www.zilverzeiler.nl
Old 06-12-2008, 05:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckonfidelis View Post
KISS: Great support, quiet, simple, great power in the 17-22 Kt wind range!

My answer will be a KISS on one pole for raw power, and an Aero6Gen on the other to keep up my needs when the wind blows hard for a few days. I will lose a few amps in the nice 17 Kt range, but will not have a constant noisy, cycling, sometimes scary runaway issue in the stronger breeze.

My thoughts and opinions for what they are worth.
Hi Duckonfidelis, that is also a great idea, power can be a problem these days. I have ordered a D400. It’s supposed to be quiet and loads good in almost all winds. Well, its not really a small windgen, diameter 110 and it weights 15kg. So I think with this gen it is not really necessary to have additional one also because we have 4 x 85W solar panels. (I still have to buy an MPPT regulator).

Safe and Powerful winds
Paul
www.zilverzeiler.nl

Tags
generator, wind generator