Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2022, 17:50   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Wind generator -- repair or cut off?

So, my boat came with a D400 wind generator. I have a dedicated Amp meter, and it performs pretty close to the factory specs. In other words, it's crap. It takes almost 20kts of wind to get 10A of power, it is rated at 2A in 10kts of wind, and with typical gusty/fluky/light winds in an anchorage, the output is well below 5A (it bounces between 0 and 3, typically). We did hit 35A in tropical storm Elise, but I don't recommend it. LOL. I've often said it doesn't make enough power to justify the shadow it makes on our solar. But we have it, it's thousands of dollars, it's installed, etc.

Until yesterday. Something happened (not sure what) in some stiff wind in our marina. One blade is broken, and the tail fin broke off. Like I said, weird. The remaining 4 blades are really old and weathered -- not sure I'd like to buy a single blade to mix in the set. So, 5 blades, a nose cone (broken too), and tail fin is around $400 direct from Eclectic. Another $200 for S&H. Even more if I buy it from the thief here in Annapolis.

Maybe it's time to put my money where my mouth is.

Anyone see why I shouldn't take it off and see what I can get on eBay? And if I take it off, any reason why I shouldn't take a cutoff wheel to the mast and cut it flush with the arch? What could I repurpose that mast for? Is the D400 worth the $600 to get it running again? Thoughts?

Harry
Circe -- '98 Saga 43 #19
Mill Creek, Annapolis

sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 17:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Wind generator -- repair or cut off?

Wind generators have gone the way of the Dodo bird....if it was working, you might get something for it on eBay, if it's broken, say some words of respect over it and throw it in the dumpster
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 18:31   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

I agree with Mic. It ain't worth the trouble. I was able to sell my D400 for $100 a couple years ago and I felt bad for taking the guy's money.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 18:33   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have solar and I have a wind gen. I get approx. 85% of my passive amps from solar, with wind making up the rest. Often when solar is lagging, wind takes up the slack. They compliment each othe well. I think having both is a good approach.

BUT, if my wing gen (Silentwind) were to bite the bullet tomorrow, I'd be hard-pressed to replace it.
Old 21-03-2022, 18:55   #5

I'm not sure it's worth repairing that one but there are a couple of wind generators I'd consider replacing it that perform better. Personally, my wind generator has kept our batteries topped up when it's cloudy but windy (e.g. cold fronts), so I enjoy having both, but mine is at the top of my mizzen and thus doesn't shade the solar panels.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 19:10   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It all depends upon where you are. My Aerogen 6 is very similar to a D400 and share the same controller. When we were on the Delaware Bay and Chesapeake it was of little value. Like you I considered getting rid of it.

However once we moved to the Caribbean it was a different matter. There we frequently have 15-20 knots and lots of cloud cover. Big puffy clouds in a blue sky, but cloud cover none the less. There the wind generator is a valuable asset and I would replace it if it went down. Ours is 15 years old, last year it was making a bit of bearing noise so I took it to an alternator shop and had the bearings replaced. Like a new machine.

If I did replace it I wojld likely buy a D400.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 19:18   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

5 blades is a poor choice. With 6 blades, at least you can remove 2 if 1 breaks and have something balanced.

Anyway... yes small wind gen are mostly not worthwhile. A 50 watt solar panel will produce overall more power in most locations, and a wind gen is like a brake sailing upwind.

What I dont understand is why large diameter slow rpm 2 bladed turbines that raise up a halyard at anchor are not common. It is possible to make one lighter weight, much slower (safer) and also produce 600 watts of power at 15 knots. It then stores below during storms and while sailing. I dont understand why this is not the most common setup.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 19:28   #8

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

My suspicion is that the arrangement you suggest would be harder to assemble, deploy, recover, and store than most would be willing to undertake.

I have a Watt&Sea hydrogenerator. It's really rather small, and an incredible piece of gear. When the blade broke this past summer (see a trend here?), I took it off the transom and stowed it below. As small and compact as it is, it was still a rather awkward situation. And if it had to be pulled out each evening, and re-stowed again each morning... I can see it getting old.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 19:39   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Ditch the whole thing. I did the same thing back in 1993.

When I cut off the mast, my overall output from solar went up to well above the previous total WITH the wind generator. The reason was more loss to the shading from the wind generator than it was producing.
Another benefit of that was the nervous tension we were previously mostly unaware that the wind generator was causing during the night. We were being semi subconciously worried that we must be dragging anchor because of the wind generator noises.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 19:56   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Harry,
+1 vote to remove it and let your new solar panels do the job.

Whenever our wind gen bites it, it will be removed.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 21:22   #11

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Get rid of it. More solar is the best bet, even replacing existing ones with newer greater capacity taking up the same space. I got sick and tired of repairing mine wind generator.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 21:52   #12

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
My suspicion is that the arrangement you suggest would be harder to assemble, deploy, recover, and store than most would be willing to undertake.

I have a Watt&Sea hydrogenerator. It's really rather small, and an incredible piece of gear. When the blade broke this past summer (see a trend here?), I took it off the transom and stowed it below. As small and compact as it is, it was still a rather awkward situation. And if it had to be pulled out each evening, and re-stowed again each morning... I can see it getting old.
My idea is to use a 2 bladed design so it can be stored on the deck like a spinnaker pole. You don't have to do this every evening/morning, it is whenever you anchor for a while you put it up, and take down to sail, or if there is a storm.

Your watt and sea generator. how much does it weigh? I built a hydro generator with total weight below 2lb. Yes it only produces a few amps, starting at 7knots, but I typically sail faster than this anyway. The drag is also minimal with a tiny 100mm diameter turbine.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 03:10   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

You don't know real terror until you get trapped on the wheel with a wind generator above you in a thunder storm with hail.
Old 22-03-2022, 05:28   #14

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

When mine broke three years ago, I removed it. Unless you are living in a Tradewinds area, it's not worth it. Remove it.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 05:51   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

I would be interested in buying it and it’s controller if you are serious.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, repair, wind, wind generator