Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What is your preference for renewable energy?
solar panels only 5 22.73%
a single wind generator only 0 0%
multiple wind generators only 0 0%
solar panels combined with wind generators 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 15:04   #1

Wind Generators & Solar Combined ?

Does anyone have any experience installing two wind generators with solar panels? We have recently installed two D400 wind generators along with three Kyocera 135 watt 12 volt panels. Would like to hear how people have tuned their systems to ensure they get the optimal output from their renewable sources of power. What fine tuning have people done with their regulators for example to ensure you get the most out of your equipment, and ensure one source of power does not prematurely shut down any of the other sources.
Iolea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 15:55   #2

Re: Wind generators & solar combined?

I'd appreciate the answer of this question as well. How much do you produce right now?

M.
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 16:44   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I only have a single wind generator, but I have fine-tuned the system so that the generator shuts itself down at a slightly lower voltage than the solar panel bank. In other words, when the battery bank is about 95% full, the wind generator turns off, leaving the panels to do the final topping off.
Old 11-01-2012, 16:48   #4

I'm planning for an all 24V system for both panels and wind generators, what do you think?
Old 11-01-2012, 17:26   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolea View Post
Does anyone have any experience installing two wind generators with solar panels? We have recently installed two D400 wind generators along with three Kyocera 135 watt 12 volt panels. Would like to hear how people have tuned their systems to ensure they get the optimal output from their renewable sources of power. What fine tuning have people done with their regulators for example to ensure you get the most out of your equipment, and ensure one source of power does not prematurely shut down any of the other sources.
I have two Aerogen 6 wind generators and four solar panels on board Exit Only, our Privilege 39 catamaran.

I never worried about fine tuning the output when underway. When we were offshore running electronic autopilot, electric refrigeration, lights, radar, fans, computers, pactor, radios, and instruments, we used all the power generated by both wind generators and four solar panels as well. There was no need for fine tuning.

When we were at anchor, we let everything run all the time unless the wind really came up. When the wind is blowing 20+ knots, I only need one wind generator to provide for our electrical needs. We simply feather the generator not in use. Here is a summary of the way we did it on board Exit Only:

AEROGEN 6 WIND GENERATORS*** Before I set sail
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 17:52   #6

Do they block each other's wind when ran combined?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
Do they block each other's wind when ran combined?
They do not block each others wind. They are on a catamaran and are separated from each other by a distance of twenty feet.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:19   #8

Dear Dave;

Thanks for the clarification. My plan is to install them on a Lagoon 450, which should not be a problem in this case. In addition, I'm an avid fan of maxingout.com and quite envy you for living the dream that I have for the last 25 years!

Best Regards,
Mehmet
Old 12-01-2012, 09:15   #9

Quote:
Dear Dave;

Thanks for the clarification. My plan is to install them on a Lagoon 450, which should not be a problem in this case. In addition, I'm an avid fan of maxingout.com and quite envy you for living the dream that I have for the last 25 years!

Best Regards,
Mehmet
Thanks Mehmet. You should have no problems with two wind generators. Glad to hear that you enjoy maxing out. I get a great deal of inspiration out of my own websites. They keep me mindful of how fortunate I have been to be able to live many of my dreams. They also help me stay focused on the dreams that have not yet come true. Over the years I have not received much encouragement from people to live my dreams. Most people sucuumb to the gospel of fear, and they think I am crazy to not believe all the fearful propaganda about how dangerous it is in the world. I am preparing a Landrover Defender for a driving trip around the world. I have my ear plugs in so that I don't hear all the negative palaver from the dream stealers about how stupid and dangerous it is to drive a truck around the world. I am not afraid of my dreams. I am afraid that I won't have the opportunity to live them all. Exit Only is in dry dock for the time being, but the dreams and adventures continue.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:30   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Thanks Mehmet. You should have no problems with two wind generators. Glad to hear that you enjoy maxing out. I get a great deal of inspiration out of my own websites. They keep me mindful of how fortunate I have been to be able to live many of my dreams. They also help me stay focused on the dreams that have not yet come true. Over the years I have not received much encouragement from people to live my dreams. Most people sucuumb to the gospel of fear, and they think I am crazy to not believe all the fearful propaganda about how dangerous it is in the world. I am preparing a Landrover Defender for a driving trip around the world. I have my ear plugs in so that I don't hear all the negative palaver from the dream stealers about how stupid and dangerous it is to drive a truck around the world. I am not afraid of my dreams. I am afraid that I won't have the opportunity to live them all. Exit Only is in dry dock for the time being, but the dreams and adventures continue.
Cool! Can't wait to read how you got through the Marianas Trench.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:03   #11

Dave, thanks for the great answer. Is this the same LR that suffered from hail storm in Australia? Humble suggestion, be careful with the electrical system on her, since Smiths have quite a bit of repuration for reliability...
Old 12-01-2012, 13:12   #12

Quote:
Dave, thanks for the great answer. Is this the same LR that suffered from hail storm in Australia? Humble suggestion, be careful with the electrical system on her, since Smiths have quite a bit of repuration for reliability...
I still have the Defender Landrover in Oz that got hammered by hail. That hail storm was totally awesome and a great big gift from the Landrover gods. The hail damage was so severe that they had to put an entire new "skin" on the vehicle. When they were done fixing it, it looked like new. Some vehicles look worse the older they get. My Defender looks better than ever. Hail insurance is worth every penny.

The Defender that I want to drive around the world is a completely different vehicle. I have three different Defenders spread around the world that are all 300 tdis. I can start the trip in Australia, New Zealand, or America depending on which Defender I choose for the trip.

As for the Marianas trench, no matter where you are on planet earth, you are never more than five miles from land. Sometimes the land is five miles straight down under your keel. I am sure the technical challenges can be worked out.
Old 12-01-2012, 13:21   #13

Re: Wind Generators & Solar Combined ?

Yes, that hail storm -as you wrote- was surely something! Just because of that, I'm planning of having some extra lounge pads for sun bathing, in order to strap on the solar panels if such incident occurs!
Old 12-01-2012, 13:23   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I don't have two of either, but one of each. I've done no "fine tuning" or seen a need. Each is regulated independently and no overcharging can occur, though regulation is infrequent.
Old 12-01-2012, 19:25   #15

Quote:
Yes, that hail storm -as you wrote- was surely something! Just because of that, I'm planning of having some extra lounge pads for sun bathing, in order to strap on the solar panels if such incident occurs!
The solar panels survived without a problem from the large hail.

Tags
solar, wind generator