Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2023, 07:08   #31

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Windlass connected to starter battery - Is this common?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Why on earth would you pick up anchor without your engine running? For starters, surely you ease the load by driving up as you retrieve your anchor?
Sailing off the anchor? I still I need to start practicing more
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:10   #32

Boat: Hunter 38

I just moved my windlass and now thruster from house to the start battery. All 2/0 awg and same distance. I just move the terminal from one to the other.

why? In prep for moving to lithium house batteries

Works great
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:54   #33

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Why on earth would you require the engine to running to pick up your anchor? You may need to pick it up NOW and your engine won't start....
I have two engines. What are you going to do if there is no wind? Or its from a very bad direction to your anchorage.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 11:57   #34

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Sailing off the anchor? I still I need to start practicing more
See post above.

Further to that. How many people actually sail of an anchorage. What if you in a crowded anchorage with no room to manoeuvre?
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 12:25   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

It is certainly helpful to have a windlass system that does not rely on the engine running to retrieve the anchor.

The exception is if you have your yacht in charter. In this case the facility to disable the lockout can easy be hidden and only known to the owner and charter base.

That is not say you have to, or even usually, retrieve the anchor without the engine running, but nevertheless the capability is important.

Engines do fail.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 13:25   #36

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Why on earth would you require the engine to running to pick up your anchor? You may need to pick it up NOW and your engine won't start....
You make the assumption that every boat has sails.

Our start batteries have sufficient grunt to pull the the boat up to and lift the anchor without the alternator adding charge, have done it for about 12 mths
But if the engine won't start we ain't going anywhere anyways.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 14:19   #37

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Who says the start BATTERY is dead? Just because the engine is off doesn't mean the windlass won't work. More likely the house is dead or low more than the starter battery is dead.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 14:38   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Just because the engine is off doesn't mean the windlass won't work.
This is how some windlass batteries are wired.

Better, but still not ideal, are boats that do not specifically lock out the windlass when the engine is not on, but have limited capability in this situation.

Ideally, a long distance cruising yacht should have a powerful windlass and anchor system (chain-stopper etc) that is capable, in an emergency, of retrieving the anchor multiple times, even in strong winds without help from the engine.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 15:16   #39

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
This is how some windlass batteries are wired.

Better, but still not ideal, are boats that do not specifically lock out the windlass when the engine is not on, but have limited capability in this situation.

Ideally, a long distance cruising yacht should have a powerful windlass and anchor system (chain-stopper etc) that is capable in an emergency of retrieving the anchor multiple times, even in strong winds without help from the engine.
I agree with you. a cut out relay wired in to shut the power to the windlass without the OPS or other relay on is DUMB but the assumption that the starter battery by itself won't work the windlass means you need a bigger battery. It's easy to work around that cut out stupidity.

Agree 100% with chain stoppers. (sized properly) and proper ground tackle is essential on ANY cruising boat. Been there, done that for years.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 16:21   #40

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Why on earth would you pick up anchor without your engine running? For starters, surely you ease the load by driving up as you retrieve your anchor?
This right here ^^^

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 13:04   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
One of the issues with Jeanneau (and many others) is that the alternator on the engine si a Hitachi 80A run with a single v-belt. A single v-belt will not turn the alternator without squealing if it is trying to put out 80AH. Running the anchor winch will force the alternator to try to put out maximum effort.

You end up with two problems.
1- The alternator will quickly drop to putting out 40AH since this is what is can handle without overheating - now you are depleting your battery big time
2- The v-belt will slip and you'll have rubber dust all over your engine room (don't ask me how I know this)

We've changed out 80AH alternator out with an 160AH alternator and the v-belt with a serpentine belt.

problems solved
Wow! Exactly what happens on our boat. The Hitachi alternator only puts 35-40Amps and I'm always short trying to lift the anchor. We also had the dust issue but the belt was the wrong size and the alternator was loose.

This is encouraging, that my 8dea to upgrade to a smart 100 Amp model should improve.
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 13:23   #42

Wow, I've never even considered having the engine running as a "requirement" for using the windlass. Know some boats are set up that way, never understood why.

Pretty much every anchorage I seek out is in the lee of something. Getting out the anchorage is downwind or at least a reach. More than 50% of the time the engine never gets started leaving an anchorage. My opinion, but about the worst thing you can do for a diesel engine is run it for 5-10 minutes and then shut it down.

When we used rope rode we pulled it in by hand, and short-tacked up to the anchor if the wind was too strong. With all chain rode now we just hit the "up" button on the windlass and pull up anchor. Backwind the jib to set your desired tack, away you go. Would not want a battery/windlass system that was not up to that task.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 13:26   #43

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
Wow, I've never even considered having the engine running as a "requirement" for using the windlass. Know some boats are set up that way, never understood why.

Pretty much every anchorage I seek out is in the lee of something. Getting out the anchorage is downwind or at least a reach. More than 50% of the time the engine never gets started leaving an anchorage. My opinion, but about the worst thing you can do for a diesel engine is run it for 5-10 minutes and then shut it down.

When we used rope rode we pulled it in by hand, and short-tacked up to the anchor if the wind was too strong. With all chain rode now we just hit the "up" button on the windlass and pull up anchor. Backwind the jib to set your desired tack, away you go. Would not want a battery/windlass system that was not up to that task.

Works fine if...
All boats had sails - and owners know how to use them.
All boats are small
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, wind, windlass