Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2020, 05:56   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Windlass failure.

Hi all,

my lewmar windlass has just stopped working. It looks as though the magnet, or magnetic sensor has failed. The windlass has a Quick CHC 1202 M chain counter and the 'no sensor' error comes up, reading online it is not an unusual problem after time.

Does anyone know if the sensor can be bypassed? Just so I can run the windlass up/down.

Thanks

Ray.
Ray. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 11:50   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: Windlass failure.

A quick look at the Installation Manual shows that the CHC 1202M is more than just a chain counter...it is the entire windlass control system that utilizes CAN Bus to communicate from the control unit to the reversing solenoid. My guess is that the sensor provides feedback to the control unit that the commanded raise/lower is causing the expected rotation. That is only a guess.

Here is a link to the manual in case you don’t have it: https://www.imtra.com/Collateral/Doc...02M_manual.pdf

Good luck.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 12:10   #3

It more than likely needs:

New brushes
New brushes seated in
commutator re-surfaced
Mica re-cut
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 14:19   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Hi Charlie,

thanks for your reply.
It turned out that for me something more random was flagging my 'bad sensor' warning on the chain counter. I have only recently bought the boat, so discovering a few things I wasn't expecting.
Cut a long story short, after some diagnostics etc, after discovering that the magnet and sensor were 'healthy' I found that one of the 4 power cables to the windlass drive motor wasn't secured by a nut/washer, just pused on the the motor lug, so when the up/down was pressed, bad contact etc, no turning of the gypsy, it flagged up the 'bad sensor' warning.
All fixed and tested with a plain washer, nut and spring washer...…. Happy days :-)

Ray.
Ray. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass