Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 07:21   #1

Wire two bank batteries with two switches

Need wiring diagram for how to wire up a two battery switch configuration for my two banks of batteries.

I've been told that a single battery switch that allows you to run off one battery bank, or the other, or both (basically a 1+2 switch) is old school for battery switching and combining. I'm in the process of replacing my batteries so I am going to wire up two switches. But how do I do that?

Here is what I have in regards to electricity:
Bank 1 -- starting battery group 31
Bank 2 - Two 8d batteries for the house bank
350 watts of solar with a MPPT controller
1000 watt inverter/charger
90 amp alternator on motor
2000 watt portable generator

I'm planning pulling out the single battery switch and putting in two switches and a smart battery combiner.

Looking for advice on how to wire up the two switches with the smart battery combiner. I wondering if someone might have a link to a wiring diagram for how to wire this up.

I would like the alternator to charge either one or both banks if they need charging. I'm hoping this is where the smart battery combiner comes in. Also I would like the solar to charge at least the house batteries, but maybe it should also charge the starting battery. Then there is the inverter charger. How should it be hooked up to charge 1 or both banks of batteries when hooked to shore power? Since my generator is portable, I have in the past just connected via a 110 20 amp outlet plug on generator right to my 30 amp shore power plug. I'm guessing how I hook the portable generator up to the boat might be ok, but if there is a better way to use the generator on the aft deck to charge the batteries I'm looking for advice.

If anyone has advice I'm listening. I would really love a nice wiring diagram.
TrailerCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:02   #2

Re: Wire two bank batteries with two switches

The easiest is with a single dual circuit switch.

Lots of diagrams on bluesea website.

Use this. Comes with the combiner as well.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/765...ery_Kit_-_120A
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries