Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 19:44   #1

Boat: Renken SeaMaster 20' 1998
Wiring a isolator with 2 alternator and 2 batteries

How to install battery isolator?

Presently, I have 2 outboards 135 and 9.9 hp mercury, and both motors are charging my main battery. I have another battery that's not being charged.

I bought a isolation that will charge two batteries from both of my motors.

My question is how to wire this isolator from the motors(alternator) to the batteries. I have directions, but I am confused by changing the wires from the regulator. Can I just take wires coming from alternator from the main battery and connect it to the isolator. Then, connected wires from the isolator to the batteries.

I purchased Promariner 2 alternator 2 battery isolator 70
vstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 23:22   #2

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Wiring a isolator with 2 alternator and 2 batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstyn View Post
How to install battery isolator?

Presently, I have 2 outboards 135 and 9.9 hp mercury, and both motors are charging my main battery. I have another battery that's not being charged.

I bought a isolation that will charge two batteries from both of my motors.

My question is how to wire this isolator from the motors(alternator) to the batteries. I have directions, but I am confused by changing the wires from the regulator. Can I just take wires coming from alternator from the main battery and connect it to the isolator. Then, connected wires from the isolator to the batteries.

I purchased Promariner 2 alternator 2 battery isolator 70

Here's a link I found for your isolater from PM?
http://promariner.com/wp-content/upl...tor-Manual.pdf
It shows how to wire it in to the charge circuit depending on how many outputs you have, or separate alternators.
Pretty much outputs of the alternator(s) to the isolator, outputs of the isolator to the + battery posts.

I saw nothing said about doing anything with the regulator wiring. And that does not sound like anything that you should be changing wires to.
Just the outputs from the alternator to the isolator like you've mentioned.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 20:18   #3

Re: Wiring a isolator with 2 alternator and 2 batteries

get a blue sea ACR abd connect between the 2 batteries. easy. the isolator will be a bitch with outboards. they are for inboards.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 07:47   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom
Re: Wiring a isolator with 2 alternator and 2 batteries

Isolators have a constant voltage drop so they get hot and waste power. WIth the voltage drop your batteries may not get fully charged. A Yandina Combiner100 connected between the batteries will avoid having to make any changes to your alternator wiring and comes with unlimited warranty that will not be available on an isolator.
Andina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, wiring