Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 18:05   #1

Boat: Novatec, Isalnder 55'
Wiring In Series (pro vs con)

In order to get around the backorder of a particular battery supplier for their 12v product I am considering the purchase of their 4v products which have no backorders and then wiring three (3) of these 4v 450Ah in series to achieve 12v. However, I desire to have a total of 900Ah at 12v (not 24v). Is this possible? If so, how?

Also, what are the pros and cons of this approach?
rwells36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 18:23   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Wiring In Series (pro vs con)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwells36 View Post
In order to get around the backorder of a particular battery supplier for their 12v product I am considering the purchase of their 4v products which have no backorders and then wiring three (3) of these 4v 450Ah in series to achieve 12v. However, I desire to have a total of 900Ah at 12v (not 24v). Is this possible? If so, how?

The best thing you can do is wiring in series. There are 900Ah Lifeline 2V batteries: GPL-6CT-2V. Six of those in series is your optimal configuration
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 18:57   #3

Quote:

Two banks wired in series that is 2 banks of 3 x 4 volt will yield 2 x 12 volt banks, these two banks are then in Parallel giving you 12v a 900 Ah.

The advantage of this over the 6 x 2 volt set up is if you have a battery failure you will still have 12 v at 450 Ah. With faulty bank disconnected.

If a 2 volt battery fails you will have 10 volts not a lot of use on a 12volt boat till it can be replaced.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 19:08   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Two banks wired in series that is 2 banks of 3 x 4 volt will yield 2 x 12 volt banks, these two banks are then in Parallel giving you 12v a 900 Ah.

The advantage of this over the 6 x 2 volt set up is if you have a battery failure you will still have 12 v at 450 Ah. With faulty bank disconnected.

If a 2 volt battery fails you will have 10 volts not a lot of use on a 12volt boat till it can be replaced.
Do you feel there is any value in having a 3x4v series instead of a 1x12v (assuming same Ah end result)? The main thing that comes to my mind is that if you have a failure you're only replacing a 4v battery instead of a whole 12v battery. But you've also got 3x the chance of failure. I guess it potentially gives you more flexibility in installation space as well, and easier to physically move then onto and off of the boat.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 19:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Do you feel there is any value in having a 3x4v series instead of a 1x12v (assuming same Ah end result)? The main thing that comes to my mind is that if you have a failure you're only replacing a 4v battery instead of a whole 12v battery. But you've also got 3x the chance of failure. I guess it potentially gives you more flexibility in installation space as well, and easier to physically move then onto and off of the boat.

Not a question of value. My original post explains the motivation.
Old 09-04-2017, 19:36   #6

Wiring In Series (pro vs con)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4587.JPG
Views:	842
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	145016

Something like this? Would this maintain amp balance?
Old 09-04-2017, 19:39   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

https://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 20:39   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Attachment 145016

One of the leads to the circuit panel should run up and the other down as shown in the sketch.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 21:03   #9

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
One of the leads to the circuit panel should run up and the other down as shown in the sketch.
No, diagram is wrong as well... shows an 8 volt 1350 Ah system...

Agree with Adelie that positive system tap should come from opposite battery (series and parallel wise) as the negative system tap). Doing that ensure even battery charge and discharge, as long as opposite interconnecting cables are the same gauge and length.
camel2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 21:22   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Attachment 145016

What do you mean by amp balance? Even charging across the battery pairs?

The sketch shows 2 batteries in series, with 6 fill points per battery (12v batteries) which would result in a 24v system. Ignoring the fill points the sketch would produce 12v if 6v batteries were used.

Did you intend to show 4v or 6v batteries?

For 4v batteries see the revised sketch in this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4v Batteries in Series.JPG
Views:	894
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	145021  
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:18   #11

Very nice.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:59   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

As long as you have anything in parallel, all batteries should be the same. You can't just replace one a couple years later. Only in the all-series with 2V cells you can do this without any problems.
BTW when one cell fails you can jumper it and continue with just 5 cells in emergency mode. This is more than 10V and all critical equipment will work. Google for specifics.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:13   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Have to realize that if you buy one big 12 V battery, what it is is 6 2V cells that the manufacturer has wired into series for you and conveniently put them in one box.
By purchasing 6 2V cells your wiring them into series and accomplishing the same thing, just not in one box, and maybe it cost more, but six individual calls weigh a whole lot less to carry one at a time.
Assuming a 12 v battery under float is 14V, and you have six cells and lose one and you disconnect it, you will have an 11.666 V battery under float.
I'd want programmable charge sources, but I don't see why you could limp along on an 11 V battery, most electronics work down to 10 V ?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:59   #14

I confess to being not well versed on series or parallel. I thought they were very different. The diagrams are good however am I in series or parallel?
mickelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:15   #15

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

It can be confusing because of the "Plus" and "Minus" configuration, but if you ignore those and be sure that all of the "opposites" are connected, leaving two "free opposites" (minus and plus), you have a series setup.
Sure it will work! That is no problem. But looking out for one failed one, if not caught quickly, the others will tend to be drawn down because batteries tend to want to balance out. So it would be good to monitor them well.
One down side that I can think of is the amount of cabling. Maintaining that many cables and ascertaining that none have corrosion and that all have a good, clean and tight connection, would be one possible drawback.
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring