Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2014, 09:13   #16

Boat: 1972 Islander 34'
Re: Wiring question

OK... I mis-wired the two batteries and drained my 66 amp battery. The good news, the battery was new and they just gave me another new one to replace it. I also had burned the wires off of my vhf radio and my depth sounder and I found that there was probably a short that was in the wiring before I added the new battery. Whatever I did brought that to light pretty quickly. More good news is that I re-wired the radio and depth finder and both now work great! I also wired fuses into these older instruments.

I had talked to Skip in Florida and he really helped me go through all of the possibilities and how to check them out. That's how I found the wiring mistake. All seems to be working fine and I learned a lot. Mainly, I learned to label my cables and wires so that when I do change things I will not have to "remember" where everything goes.

Also, the note about the reserve 60 amps in my batteries helped me to re add all of the items I use at night and to look at that again. As I stated, the one battery would make it through the night but would be drained in the morning. I believe what I meant was that the battery was down to the reserve amps and would not give any more. I am anxious to get out (week of May 1st) for several days and nights to test the two batteries combined. We will see.

Also, it is good to know that others think that one battery will not pull down the other but should give me the full additive amps.

All of you have really helped me with this and I am gaining confidence in my ability to work with electricity on my boat. THANKS TO ALL!

PS- I have a blog for any that may be interested. I will be posting something about this "learning" experience.

www.serenity3333.blogspot.com
dstouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlli View Post
Another question: over internet (I don’t remember where exactly) few times I met suggestion to run power cables from alternator and charger to domestic batteries, not to starter one. Why? For my own opinion at any case starter battery is more important and must be charged at first.
The guys in the UK insist on having th AO go to the start bank. Too many years with Lucas starters, I guess. In the uS we prefer to go to the house bank. Why? 'Cuz the hoouse bank always needs more charge. The start bank only takes a few ah out when starting the engine.

It's all explained here:

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 13:04   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The guys in the UK insist on having th AO go to the start bank. Too many years with Lucas starters, I guess. In the uS we prefer to go to the house bank. Why? 'Cuz the hoouse bank always needs more charge. The start bank only takes a few ah out when starting the engine.

It's all explained here:

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com

No we don't insist. !!

Dave
Old 23-04-2014, 13:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No we don't insist. !!

Dave
Dave, sorry. I should have said "Many, many do." Maine Sail and I discussed this over on ybw for a few months and then gave up.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring