Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 08:01   #1

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53
Wiring solar thru a XANTREX Inverter - Possible?

I want to install a large solar panel system (approx 500W) on my Gulfstar M53 and would like to tie this into my XANTREX 2112 Inverter system - don't even know if this is possible? Have considered wind generator but since the Gulfstar is a Ketch - the radar dome is mounted to the front side of the mizzen and wind genny may be a bit too much "rig" for the expected output - hence my "solar" investment decision.

My goal is to have the solar charge the 6 x AGM (6V) bank to ensure fresh charge when sailing or on the hook to run fridges (x2), auto-pilot, radios, instruments, radar and electric winches underway and to refresh charge when running other "on hook" electronics (12V lights, fans, TV, DVD, computer, charging stations [phones, AAA/AA/C/D batteries], SSB and VHF.

I will run the big diesel genny for AC/Heat, water-maker, hot water heater, micro-wave, washer-dryer and to plus up the juice the solar can't keep up with based on "power-hogging" to live comfortably when away from the dock.

Anyone out there have experience with mating solar and XANTREX systems as "one" so I don't wind up with two "separate" setups or extra parts? I have no issues with solar panel space, I am well versed in skills needed to install - my question is: Since I am "solar ignorant," what components of a solar "control" system are required to tie into my XANTREX inverter/power management setup. Some details:

Trace Engineering XANTREX 2112 is currently set up for "total" power management for both 110 AC and 12V (inverted) circuits. I have a 50A shore power input and a 16KW Phaser K4 (Kubota) diesel genny with XANTREX controlled auto-start. The John Deere 360 HP Turbo Diesel main engine has a high output alternator that is tied thru the "smart" XANTREX system and cooperates with the shore power and Aux Genny inputs for a total charging solution. Adding the solar is new to me.

I have consulted the XANTREX manual and will soon contact the technicians on this issue - just looking for someone out there that may have done this "hook-up" and has it currently working on board?

Would really appreciate any advice from cruisers that have hands on experience with this and made it work (with any large "smart" inverter/power management system).

Thanks

Steve
TMT2
Gulfstar M53
s/v TAKE ME THERE!
Tampa FL
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 12:35   #2

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer
Re: Wiring solar thru a XANTREX Inverter - Possible?

In any solar system the panels wire to a charge controler, which in turn is wired directly to the battery bank. The charge controler should be mounted as close to the battery bank as possible, ie: the shortest wires as possible. The battery bank is the center of the entire system. Charge controlers are usually 12v or 24v or larger. I would recommend a 12v to 6 volt dc reducer (12v to 6v converter | eBay)
They are made in various amp rating.
Old 29-01-2014, 21:45   #3

solar panels to solar charge controller to batteries. nothing to do with the xantrax. they are 2 separate systems.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 00:36   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT2 View Post
I want to install a large solar panel system (approx 500W) on my Gulfstar M53 and would like to tie this into my XANTREX 2112 Inverter system - don't even know if this is possible? Have considered wind generator but since the Gulfstar is a Ketch - the radar dome is mounted to the front side of the mizzen and wind genny may be a bit too much "rig" for the expected output - hence my "solar" investment decision. . .
Thanks Steve
TMT2
Gulfstar M53
s/v TAKE ME THERE!
Tampa FL
I don't think you will have a problem with hanging a windgen or two on your MS-53 mizzen mast. My MS-53 pictured below has 2 windgen's on it and has been through a decade of Atlantic and Caribbean storms. IMHO, windgens are a better investment if you are planning to cruise in the Tropics or where there are Trade Winds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Osiris mizzen rig.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	74961  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 00:42   #5

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

If you go for a SilientWind windgen, the controller is a hybrid, and will also do your Solar Panels. See HERE
The Xantrex is an Inverter - turns DC to AC. It does not and cannot control solar panels.
Cheers
Matt
Old 30-01-2014, 04:44   #6

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

Thanks to all for the inputs and advice - wind-gen and solar are a new experience for me.

Osirissail - sent you a PM.

TMT2
Gulfstar M53
s/v TAKE ME THERE!
Tampa FL
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, solar, wiring