Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2021, 11:15   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Wiring the aft cabin

If you look at that three way connector, you will see that the center is not insulated. That's a terrible design and I would never, ever use one of them for any reason.

Yes, you can put more than one wire in the conventional crimp connector as long as the combination is the proper size for the connector. And if that means the connector is too large for a single wire in the other end, you can strip it back twice as far and double it over to fit the connector.
Old 15-04-2021, 11:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Don’t want to be rude,but a connector strip ,in my view would be a ‘cob job’.
Put in a small fuse box,down the road you are bound to want to add something,like USB outlet.
Well, yes and no. It's much better to have all the fuses or circuit breakers in one central location.
Old 15-04-2021, 11:20   #18

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you look at that three way connector, you will see that the center is not insulated. That's a terrible design and I would never, ever use one of them for any reason.

Yes, you can put more than one wire in the conventional crimp connector as long as the combination is the proper size for the connector. And if that means the connector is too large for a single wire in the other end, you can strip it back twice as far and double it over to fit the connector.

Agreed. I've done the double trick before when using a butt connector to split to 2 wires. Once or twice I've even put 2 wires in each end, leading to a 1 - 3 split (with 2 going 1 way, 1 going the other for the output wires). Definitely beats the hard to insulate center on those 3 way things.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 11:59   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Agreed. I've done the double trick before when using a butt connector to split to 2 wires. Once or twice I've even put 2 wires in each end, leading to a 1 - 3 split (with 2 going 1 way, 1 going the other for the output wires). Definitely beats the hard to insulate center on those 3 way things.

Also agreed. Those 3-way things are just silly.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 12:06   #20

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I plan to join the three closest terminals with multi-stranded copper wire to make them into bus bars- (a negative and a positive) I've got plenty of suitable sized plastic boxes to house them in

Is that the way to go?

(I was looking for something like this last week when I was at Altronics but all they could offer was bus bars at around $25 each)
Blue Seas as 1 example sells the little tinned clips that fit over the insulated bridge between screws-they come in at least 2 sizes but make a neat way of extending the terminal strip into a bus bar wherever needed. Easier than multiple loops of wire
Flatswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 12:46   #21

Boat: Hunter 380

To answer your question yes use a buttsplice. If the single seems small just double it back on itself. If you have heat shrink use it
Dallasron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 15:39   #22

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Don’t want to be rude,but a connector strip ,in my view would be a ‘cob job’.
Put in a small fuse box,down the road you are bound to want to add something,like USB outlet.

USB outlet? Yes maybe although I have one installed at the switch panel.

The cables are already fused at the switch panel.

(cob job? "slang for a something that is put together poorly" )
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 15:48   #23

Quote:
Well, yes and no. It's much better to have all the fuses or circuit breakers in one central location.

Thanks for that Ron. All my fuses, circuit breakers, instruments are at the chart table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-16 Port side looking aft.png
Views:	75
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	236601  
Old 15-04-2021, 15:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatswing View Post
Blue Seas as 1 example sells the little tinned clips that fit over the insulated bridge between screws-they come in at least 2 sizes but make a neat way of extending the terminal strip into a bus bar wherever needed. Easier than multiple loops of wire

That is exactly what I want to do!

I'll look for those as that will be neater than loops of wire. (This evening I'll look through the Jaycar Electronics catalog)

Thanks
Old 15-04-2021, 16:10   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
That is exactly what I want to do!

I'll look for those as that will be neater than loops of wire. (This evening I'll look through the Jaycar Electronics catalog)

Thanks
You can find the Blue Seas clips at Whitworths Marine in Perth or on page 52 of their 2021 catalogue. See here https://online.flippingbook.com/view/399848/52/

The Blue Seas terminal strips are a bit 'spendy' compared to the Jaycar ones.

I have never been able to get the Blue Seas clips to fit onto the Jaycar terminal strips - different pitch etc. However I haven't tried it for a decade now so maybe Jaycar has a different source of terminal strips and the Blue Seas clips might fit.

I haven't been able to find clips at Jaycar but if you do, please let me know.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You can find the Blue Seas clips at Whitworths Marine in Perth or on page 52 of their 2021 catalogue. See here https://online.flippingbook.com/view/399848/52/

The Blue Seas terminal strips are a bit 'spendy' compared to the Jaycar ones.

I have never been able to get the Blue Seas clips to fit onto the Jaycar terminal strips - different pitch etc. However I haven't tried it for a decade now so maybe Jaycar has a different source of terminal strips and the Blue Seas clips might fit.

I haven't been able to find clips at Jaycar but if you do, please let me know.

I just happened to have the Whitworth catalog in front of me and yes it has the Blue Seas Terminal Jumpers on page 52. When I'm at Jaycar on Wednesday I'll ask them if they can supply.

If I can't buy suitable sized jumpers I'll get some copper strip off them and make up my own (that won't take long)

There's certainly a lot of terminal jumpers on the market: maybe I can find one that will fit?
https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...w=1024&bih=626

I will certainly let you know what I find out

Old 15-04-2021, 16:36   #27

Quote:

(cob job? "slang for a something that is put together poorly" )
You may more familiar with the term 'cobbled together' rather than the shortened 'cob job'.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-04-2021, 16:39   #28

Quote:
If you look at that three way connector, you will see that the center is not insulated. That's a terrible design and I would never, ever use one of them for any reason............
The centre hole allows for the connector to be secured to the fibreglass hull with a sheet metal screw.
Old 15-04-2021, 16:45   #29

Quote:
You may more familiar with the term 'cobbled together' rather than the shortened 'cob job'.

Terminal Jumpers For Bluesea Systems 30A Terminal Blocks (Pack of 5) £5.50 GBP* · In stock · Brand: Blue Sea Systems
Terminal jumpers for Bluesea Systems 30A terminal blocks. These allow independent terminals to be connected together to form common circuits.

Old 15-04-2021, 16:58   #30

Quote:
The centre hole allows for the connector to be secured to the fibreglass hull with a sheet metal screw.
And then you can gob a bunch of "liquid electrical tape" over it and the screw head.

Tags
cabin, wiring