Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2023, 03:20   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Wiring up the ammeter

Some time ago I bought the component I needed to connect up the alternator to the battery as well as connect up the ammeter.

Now I'm about to install the components. Am I correct in following this circuit diagram?

I assume this is the external shunt?

One last question. My son wired up the alternator to charge the starter batteries. (With heavy cables) I had planned to charge the house bank but since I am about to install a Cyrix "battery combiner" (VSR) does it matter?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 08:38   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Re: Wiring up the ammeter

Coop,

No to your wiring diagram. The shunt is wired into the negative side just before the battery. All of your electrical loads go to one side and a single wire goes from the other side of the shunt to the negative of the battery.

Also the big charging should go to your house battery and use the charge spill over for the starter battery.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 09:03   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Wiring up the ammeter

It depends. An alternator shunt goes on the positive side of the alternator, and requires a special ammeter.

I would put the fuse ( 150% of the rated alternator output) between the battery and the shunt.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring