Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2022, 18:54   #1

Working on my overly complex electrical without making it worse.

I am looking for a little bit of Internet advice

I need to install a B&G T2 Ram It’s peak amperage is 50 Amps.

My boat electrical system is a little bit eclectic to say the least. The main electrical panel was moved midship into the salon as well as the batteries were moved under the starboard Sette. Power is fed to the after the boat through some small gauge wire that works out just enough to run the Sailing instruments and the radar There’s also a subpanel for some low-voltage lights and Fuel and water gauges.

I already have planned to remove the subpanel as I’ll be running The gauges back to my Cerbo GX.

I’m trying to decide whether I should just run a 1 gauge set Directly from the batteries To the aft Area where I can tie in all of my sailing instruments into a proper panel. Or should I still break off of the main panel? I’m trying to choose my work wisely as I would like to not make this electrical system any more special than it already is.

Any help is appreciated
Makr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 19:29   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Working on my overly complex electrical without making it worse.

IMO any motor load of 50 amps should be on a dedicated circuit fed directly (properly overcurrent protected) from the battery/ switch. Even though the AP actuator is typically a variable speed system (my Raymarine has half fast and fast). Voltage drop issues will be minimized for all the associated instruments ect by separating them from the motor.

I have a dedicated pedestal sub panel but my AP current draw would just be a noise current compared to 50 amps.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 15:12   #3

Separate breaker for Autopilot and Instruments. Ideally on the same panel.
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 15:43   #4

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makr0 View Post
I am looking for a little bit of Internet advice.
If you have to ask (and in this way), you're likely in over your head. Please ask a professional marine electrician to take a look at your boat's electrical system and give you advice. This is not an area where you want to take shortcuts.

Just my internet advice.
Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 18:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makr0 View Post

I’m trying to decide whether I should just run a 1 gauge set Directly from the batteries To the aft Area where I can tie in all of my sailing instruments into a proper panel. Or should I still break off of the main panel?
It really doesn't matter which you choose. You will probably find the answer when you assess the current cable sizes and loads. If the main panel can adequately handle the loads, tap off of its busbar if that's the shorter most convenient route. A single main battery cable is probably the simpler approach but either way is fine.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 19:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krid2000 View Post
If you have to ask (and in this way), you're likely in over your head. Please ask a professional marine electrician to take a look at your boat's electrical system and give you advice. This is not an area where you want to take shortcuts.

Just my internet advice.
Dirk
Yes, never get advice from the internet, whatever were we thinking having a forum where you can get advice from complete strangers on such a dangerous topic. Probably a good thing why all medical information is banned from the internet. Don't risk it, pay a professional.

This is not legal advice. Information, documents and any other material provided in this reply is general in nature and should not be considered advice of any nature. You should always seek advice from a qualified professional when accessing any online Relationship advice, Sailing testimonials, Legal advice, Medical advice, Financial advice, Boating advice, Electrical advice, Offensive content of any kind and I accept no responsibility for any mistakes, errors, or omissions that occur should you rely on the information (Which is not advice) All replies (Which are not advice) are made pursuant to our implied contract. This means that the risk of loss and or injury for such advice shall pass to you upon reading this reply. When you read this reply, or send e-mails, text messages, and other communications from your desktop or mobile device to me, you may be communicating with me electronically. You consent to receive communications from us electronically, such as e-mails, texts, mobile push notices, or notices and messages on this site or through other forum. You agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that I provide to you electronically are subject to my Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. (See microscopic fine print)

I MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE CORRECTNESS, OR THE QUALITY OF INFORMATION, CONTENT, MATERIALS, PRODUCTS OR OTHER SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU THROUGH THIS REPLY, UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED IN WRITING. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THIS INFORMATION IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical, work