Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 00:13   #196

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Wow - Induction Cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathlesschosen View Post
Not to hijack this tread. I am having trouble finding an electric convection oven with induction cooktop. The occasional photo but not for sale. Can somebody point me to a source. Thanks.
There are not (m)any combi units. Induction cooking was considered first as fancy appliance for high end kittchen, so usually you can combine the desired hob with any other fancy oven and mix and match sizes and design elements. The hobs have usually independent touch controls, as the oven have. There are very few standalone integrated units on the market, most are for mounting in furniture and countertops areas independent of each other. A new trend is to have the oven up at eye hight, or combine convection oven and vapour oven or espresso machines in an tower setup.

Simply more versatile. Best would be to find the appliances you like and build the enclosure around them.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:10   #197

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Another induction hotplate convert here .

I am just piping up, as it is not an “all or nothing” thing. Our available power is almost exclusively solar generated all year round (panels 1005 W) and in summer I could easily do many hours of induction cooking per day.

Come winter though, none is possible and alternative cooking methods are needed. In our case this is via gas or the top of the Refleks diesel heater.

The other advantage of having more than one cooking system is that you have a backup if one system is out of action for whatever reason. Redundancies for vital systems are always sensible.

SWL

Our induction hotplate sits on top of the gimballed stovetop. No need to have this built in or take up valuable countertop space:

Fully agree on that to have both on board but one is primary and other a backup. Cooking with induction or gas works well. what sucks is a gas oven as they eat tons of gas, really heat up the galley and seldomly work as intended by the user, so this has to go.

my power generation comes from 5 different sources, so I will have enough juice to cook with electricity in 98% of time.

solar
windgenerator
propshaft generator (which is a regulated alternator powered by rotation of the prop shaft so power generation when you move doesn't matter if with engine, wind or just current)
2 genny (a small build in 3,5kw diesel and a small portable Honda suitcase)
2 alternators on engine, one regulated plus propshaft one regulated so in total 3 alternators charging when engine is running

But in case the whole electronic fails eg lightening strike I can still cook with gas...

my solution will be for the gimbaled top:
Panasonic Microwave/Convection/Grill/Steamer oven combo replacing the gimballed oven. And on top a 2burner gas cooktop build in and on top of that for primary use a standalone 2 burner induction cooktop.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:49   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
I just spotted this unit at Home Depot - looks PERFECT size-wise for a marine stove replacement, at 20.5 inches across.....
only 1800 watts total, though, between the burners (or whatever you call them.....inducers?). Some sort of power sharing, so that you can do one on high, both on half, 60/40, etc.

Matt

https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Ind...-306172864-_-N

that is indeed perfect, you need 2 burners and power split works in 99% with what you cook. tried that in hour house for 2 month and monitored the needed power to figure if that setup works on the boat and it does.

only downside it is 120V US Norm and I have 240V on the boat...and they don't make a 240V version.
I found several portait 2 burner 240V models max 53cm/21" deep=wide when you mount them landscape but then you have the buttons on the side which is bad for operations...

Does anyone know a 240V 2 burner side by side max. 53cm/21" wide like this one?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:24   #199
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
that is indeed perfect, you need 2 burners and power split works in 99% with what you cook. tried that in hour house for 2 month and monitored the needed power to figure if that setup works on the boat and it does.

only downside it is 120V US Norm and I have 240V on the boat...and they don't make a 240V version.
I found several portait 2 burner 240V models max 53cm/21" deep=wide when you mount them landscape but then you have the buttons on the side which is bad for operations...

Does anyone know a 240V 2 burner side by side max. 53cm/21" wide like this one?
Yes of course, Cooktek makes those but at professional use pricing...
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:53   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes of course, Cooktek makes those but at professional use pricing...

yes I came across cooktek but cannot find a 21" wide side by side, all I can find are 26.5 till 27.5" but not 21"

can you please point me at the right one if there is one I didn't see.

what I could find so far in 240V for a proffessional use pricing too was 21inch 2 burner induction from silken2 for 995$
https://www.cookwithkenyon.com/shop/...rner-trimline/

but its in fact a portait style one with a turned button field and that design waste a lot space on the 2nd burner, so no big pan and cooking pot at the same as you can see in the pics. and that is where you exactly need the 2 burner config...
Old 04-01-2020, 10:06   #201

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
yes I came across cooktek but cannot find a 21" wide side by side, all I can find are 26.5 till 27.5" but not 21"

can you please point me at the right one if there is one I didn't see.

what I could find so far in 240V for a proffessional use pricing too was 21inch 2 burner induction from silken2 for 995$
https://www.cookwithkenyon.com/shop/...rner-trimline/

but its in fact a portait style one with a turned button field and that design waste a lot space on the 2nd burner, so no big pan and cooking pot at the same as you can see in the pics. and that is where you exactly need the 2 burner config...
Ah, no they are all made for a 30” wide table. On 21” you can’t fit two burners in a workable situation. We can’t fit the 2-burner cooktops either which is why we use a 1-burner plus another 1-burner that we get out a cabinet when we need it. We set it elsewhere on the countertop.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:12   #202

Quote:
Ah, no they are all made for a 30” wide table. On 21” you can’t fit two burners in a workable situation. We can’t fit the 2-burner cooktops either which is why we use a 1-burner plus another 1-burner that we get out a cabinet when we need it. We set it elsewhere on the countertop.

the mini duo works in 20,5" with two burner as they use the full width and make it deeper so you have 10" for each pot which is enough, look at the pics.

and I find the same from another brand called empava, also 120V on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Empava-IDC1...cAAOSwFN9d9pr3

so they seem China massproduction and then labeled, which gives a realistic chance they have a 240V version too. Just under a different brand name...
Old 04-01-2020, 10:22   #203

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
the mini duo works in 20,5" with two burner as they use the full width and make it deeper so you have 10" for each pot which is enough, look at the pics.

and I find the same from another brand called empava, also 120V on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Empava-IDC1...cAAOSwFN9d9pr3

so they seem China massproduction and then labeled, which gives a realistic chance they have a 240V version too. Just under a different brand name...
Yes but those are not for professional use, which is always 14” burners except when there are 3 or more burners. I know there are frying pans that fit on a 10” burner but they are mostly too small for us as well as for professional chefs. This means you will need a domestic cooktop. Have you looked at NuWave and Wolf? Both have small 2-burner cooktops and while the Nuwave is 120V iirc, the Wolf should be 240V.

When gimballed, we can fit a single 14” unit plus a coffee maker. This is the perfect setup in the available space for us while underway.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:19   #204

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

I have been researching 220 volt dual induction cooktops as well. I would love a version of the true induction supporting 220 volt, but keeping the 1800 watt maximum for both plates combined (with power sharing). That way you could confidently use a much smaller (and cheaper) inverter to power everything. :.)

Unfortunately all the dual 220v induction cooktops that I could find will take all the power they can and slurp 3500 watt.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:39   #205

Quote:
Yes but those are not for professional use, which is always 14” burners except when there are 3 or more burners. I know there are frying pans that fit on a 10” burner but they are mostly too small for us as well as for professional chefs. This means you will need a domestic cooktop. Have you looked at NuWave and Wolf? Both have small 2-burner cooktops and while the Nuwave is 120V iirc, the Wolf should be 240V.

When gimballed, we can fit a single 14” unit plus a coffee maker. This is the perfect setup in the available space for us while underway.
why does it need to be proffessional cooking use? I would skip proffessional if I can, too expensive and mostly only the looks and price is proffessional inside is the same chinese stuff...
The 2 above are perfect but 120V and I need 240V. And yes if they die after 4 years I give a crap, for that price I order a 2nd one too have one spare on board if I go remote areas. I want and need 2 burners.

found this 56cm wide one, lets see if I can squeeze/cut somewhere the 3cm I would need to make it work:

https://www.rommelsbacher.de/en/cook...induktion.html

For coffee under way I use now a Nespresso Pixie with reusable capsules. That doesn't need a gimballed surface to make coffee. I just have it standing on the shelf in the middle/center of the boat, that's sufficent and very safe compared to a french press or similar which forces me to deal with boiling water. Just don't fill the water tank till top and use a bigger coffee pot so its half till 2/3rd full when a lungo is done :-).
Old 04-01-2020, 11:50   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
I have been researching 220 volt dual induction cooktops as well. I would love a version of the true induction supporting 220 volt, but keeping the 1800 watt maximum for both plates combined (with power sharing). That way you could confidently use a much smaller (and cheaper) inverter to power everything. :.)

Unfortunately all the dual 220v induction cooktops that I could find will take all the power they can and slurp 3500 watt.

Paul
Hi Paul,
can you please post the 50cm till 53cm 2 burner cooktops that exceed 1800W.

To stay at 1800W that's an easy fix, limit the level of the burners so they don't take more then your inverter can do. The duo does that automatically and you can do it manually
Try out on shore power by measuring how much the burner take first seperatly and 2nd both together on each level and then note down which combinations fits your 2000W inverter or the typical 3000W one.
2 on 900W is a bit tight, 2 on 1400W works really well and stay below the 3KW of most inverters.

Chris
Old 04-01-2020, 11:57   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post

Paul
Hi Paul,
can you please post the 50cm till 53cm 2 burner cooktops that exceed 1800W.

To stay at 1800W that's an easy fix, limit the level of the burners so they don't take more then your inverter can do. The duo does that automatically and you can do it manually

Try out on shore power by measuring how much the burner take first seperatly and 2nd both together on each level and then note down which combinations fits your 2000W inverter or the typical 3000W one.
2 on 900W is a bit tight, 2 on 1400W works really well and stay below the 3KW of most inverters.

Chris
Old 04-01-2020, 15:02   #208

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
why does it need to be proffessional cooking use? I would skip proffessional if I can, too expensive and mostly only the looks and price is proffessional inside is the same chinese stuff...
The 2 above are perfect but 120V and I need 240V. And yes if they die after 4 years I give a crap, for that price I order a 2nd one too have one spare on board if I go remote areas. I want and need 2 burners.

found this 56cm wide one, lets see if I can squeeze/cut somewhere the 3cm I would need to make it work:

https://www.rommelsbacher.de/en/cook...induktion.html

For coffee under way I use now a Nespresso Pixie with reusable capsules. That doesn't need a gimballed surface to make coffee. I just have it standing on the shelf in the middle/center of the boat, that's sufficent and very safe compared to a french press or similar which forces me to deal with boiling water. Just don't fill the water tank till top and use a bigger coffee pot so its half till 2/3rd full when a lungo is done :-).
I wrote that you need a domestic cooktop, not a professional one... don’t know why you take that the other way around?

The cooktop you list is a 230V 50Hz one, not 240V 60Hz.

Also, you are wrong on the Wolf cooktop I recommended. I just checked and it fits your requirements: 2 burners, 240V and 15”x21” with cutout 14”x19.5”
https://www.magneticcooky.com/wolf-2...ction-cooktop/
Old 04-01-2020, 15:43   #209
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
The cooktop you list is a 230V 50Hz one, not 240V 60Hz.
[/URL]
An interesting lesson I learned when researching the purchase of my Elba hob... They were only rated 220v 60hz in all the data specifications I could find, which was correct for the Philippines.

I even contacted Elba in Manila to ask if I could special order a 230v 50hz...
They said No!

So I joined an electrical engineering Forum to ask how critical were voltages and frequencies on Induction Hobs?.

The best answer explained that the international manufacturer does not usually make specific voltage and frequencies for each country, but will make a product these days that covers the range from 200-250v.

To save safety certification costs for each country, their specifications only list the correct power for that country.

Sure enough, when I got delivery of the Elba it showed a range of voltage and frequency on the manufacturer's plate, but not on the printed Owner's manual.

So always best if you can to read the plate.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 17:28   #210

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

I'm in the midst of a galley refit. I removed the original range/oven and installed a 2 burner induction cook top and a convection/microwave above that.

I compared the time to boil 1 1/2 cups of water on the larger induction burner and my 200volt stove at home. The induction beat the 220v by over a minute.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191230_151343.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	206297  
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote