Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2021, 14:47   #226

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Wow - Induction Cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
...Gas (propane and/or butane) refills are a pain for international cruising boats...
That must be a European thing. We cruised internationally (35 countries) and obtaining propane gas (refilling our bottles) was only a problem in a remote island in Papua New Guinea. Even there we managed. I considered it a challenge rather than a pain. After a few years you will have a collection of adaptors. We have two bottles, they last three weeks each, and pushing our luck we can go six weeks before we need to find gas. Every town in the world has gas available. Our little bottles were light enough to easily carry.

I will admit we did not go to Europe, where many things apparently are a pain (as well as being expensive).

The benefit of propane for us was the simplicity of the system, the low cost of the initial installation and well as the low cost of the gas. That and it was totally reparable even in remote places with simple tools and a few spare parts.

Electric cooking is going to require a much more expensive and electronically complex system. It may work prefectly when new (or not) but after 5 years of bashing around in the oceans and the third world there could be problems. Diagnosing and repairing won't be as simple.

Then there is the constant demand of replacing the power you use. That is day in and day out. I don't have room or desire for a large solar array or genset.

These are the reasons I've kept my system to absolute simplicity and rely on propane for cooking and domestic hot water. In 35 years it has never failed me.
Old 14-02-2021, 16:15   #227

Sailing is supposed to be fun...if anyone ever tried to serve me a fried steak they'd be swiftly walking the plank.

I'll keep my propane/butane. Never has been an issue wherever I've ventured.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 16:30   #228

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Sailing is supposed to be fun...if anyone ever tried to serve me a fried steak they'd be swiftly walking the plank.

I have to say, Eder, that throwing a steak on a red hot cast iron frying pan which has been heated on a high powered induction HOB is potentially going to be a very very good way to sear it. Burned cow is a smell I crave.

Even my modified propane BBQ does not achieve the grill surface temps to do that.

Now dealing with the smoke in your cabin is something else not so good.
Old 14-02-2021, 16:47   #229

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post

+1

When cooking at home I never use more than one hotplate (plus microwave).

On the yacht I have two burner LPG stove (no oven) as well an infrared microwave but have now added a one hob induction cooker since everyone on these threads seem to rave about them.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 17:04   #230

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
sounds good doesn't it. The only thing I am not sure about is if a pair of T105s for example could manage a draw of 110A.
Stonage Trojan you would need 12 T105 to be on par in usable capacity with 4 cells Lishen 272AH 12V. And the voltage dive when pulling 110A would be min 1V plus peukert effect. And losses in cycling and recharging are significant too. Well and 4 cells Lishen weight half then one trojan. On a 36 Mahe weight constraints and you can easy safe 100kg. 4x 180W semi flexible solar panels are light too to recharge fast.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 05:20   #231
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

In the Tropics,
Propane Weber BBQ outside
Cool, clean induction inside.

Its always good to have a backup
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201231_172334.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	232600
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 00:59   #232

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
In the Tropics,

Attachment 232600
100% agree.
I also keep the gas stove in the galley (oven replaced) as backup and install the 2 burner induction in a cover directly above it. Gas lines stay but are disconnected on both ends.
As induction reaches max 230 degrees Celsius you can use a nano silicone mat as a anti skid between the burner and the pot, especially when underway. That works for gimballed mono and cat, forget about locking them with the metal holders. The silicone cover of ikea's glass storage containers work really well, you just have to cut off the little holding knob with a very sharp knife
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 01:04   #233

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
In the Tropics,

]
Nice prawns
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 01:28   #234

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Thermal Cooking Is a Great Option for Cooking Onboard

(I don't know why but you'll have to copy and paste this link)

https://www.practical-sailor.com/belowdecks-amenities/galley/thermos-thermal-cooker-review

A thermal cooker, or a vacuum flask cooker, is a cooking device that uses thermal insulation to retain heat and cook food without the continuous use of fuel or other heat source. It is a modern implementation of a haybox, which uses hay or straw to insulate a cooking pot.(Wiki)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 07:26   #235

Boat: Hunter 35.5

I should probably start a new thread but....

Anyone know of a gimbled induction stove in 120v? I see the OceanChef 3 but it is 230v.
Gtstricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 12:16   #236

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I have to say, Eder, that throwing a steak on a red hot cast iron frying pan which has been heated on a high powered induction HOB is potentially going to be a very very good way to sear it. Burned cow is a smell I crave.

Even my modified propane BBQ does not achieve the grill surface temps to do that.

Now dealing with the smoke in your cabin is something else not so good.
OT but try doing a reverse sear. Low oven (300f) or indirect heat on the grill to an internal temp of 120f then 30 seconds a side in as hot a pan as you can get it. Perfect med rare.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 00:20   #237
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
OT but try doing a reverse sear. Low oven (300f) or indirect heat on the grill to an internal temp of 120f then 30 seconds a side in as hot a pan as you can get it. Perfect med rare.
For a reverse sear I learned a propane torch (a big one, the guy on the Sous Vide Everything channel calls it the flamethrower) works best. There, a good reason to have propane aboard!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 02:07   #238

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

I too have installed a two burner induction cooktop in my boat, and it's just so simple and efficient. It's a 3000W stove, far more than I actually can pull from my 1500W inverter unless on shore power, so underway I only use the smaller 1200W stove which works fine for my needs. I cook simple dishes 2-3 times and make coffee 3-4 times a day.
Haven't really done the hard work in calculating usage, but even with just 500W of solar and my small lifepo4 200ah battery (12v), the setup works just fine.

Cooking is by far the biggest power draw I currently have, so use that as you will.
I'm planning for significantly more solar to accomodate a purely electrical setup including electric outboard and larger inverter for a more sizeable fridge/freezer.
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 21:39   #239

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.Sails View Post
I too have installed a two burner induction cooktop in my boat, and it's just so simple and efficient. It's a 3000W stove, far more than I actually can pull from my 1500W inverter unless on shore power, so underway I only use the smaller 1200W stove which works fine for my needs. I cook simple dishes 2-3 times and make coffee 3-4 times a day.
Haven't really done the hard work in calculating usage, but even with just 500W of solar and my small lifepo4 200ah battery (12v), the setup works just fine.

Cooking is by far the biggest power draw I currently have, so use that as you will.
I'm planning for significantly more solar to accomodate a purely electrical setup including electric outboard and larger inverter for a more sizeable fridge/freezer.

Wow, that is a very small battery to handle the current going to the induction hob! We see up to 350A at 12V coming out of our inverter when we run our 2 burner induction hob at higher levels. Even if you had an inverter that can handle the draw (we have a 5KW Quattro), surely you don’t want to go above .5C of your battery capacity if you want your battery to last. With a 200Ahr battery you must be seeing currents of close to 1C, which can’t be healthy.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 22:27   #240

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Wow, that is a very small battery to handle the current going to the induction hob! We see up to 350A at 12V coming out of our inverter when we run our 2 burner induction hob at higher levels. Even if you had an inverter that can handle the draw (we have a 5KW Quattro), surely you don’t want to go above .5C of your battery capacity if you want your battery to last. With a 200Ahr battery you must be seeing currents of close to 1C, which can’t be healthy.
My research indicates that L-Ion batteries in general are fine with "high" discharge rates. Battleborn limits their long term discharge to 1C with surges to 2C if I recall correctly. I believe the limitation is the BMS and the internal cabling, not the cells themselves.

I'm impressed he can maintain the bank with 500W of solar.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote