Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 15:57   #256

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Wow - Induction Cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Jeepers. Standard according to whom? International Association of Tiny Pans? Maybe if you're only feeding one. You'll crowd the pan and run into consistency problems, plus you'll make a mess.

So the induction advocates need special pans AND teeny ones. *sigh*
Americans just don't get metric. 28 cm is about 11 inches (diameter). If you're only feeding one with a pan that size, that explains another issue the US has

I've never heard of a "standard pan size" - but that does sound like a typical size for a pan.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 16:17   #257

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Americans just don't get metric. 28 cm is about 11 inches (diameter). If you're only feeding one with a pan that size, that explains another issue the US has

I've never heard of a "standard pan size" - but that does sound like a typical size for a pan.
No question the average American portion is big. That isn't the issue.

Unless you're making an omelet (I like about 8" for that), 11" is really too small to feed two people. It isn't about portion size. It's about heat distribution and room to move the food around. A pan too small will result in uneven cooking and a mess from spills. Just not big enough.

On a boat with only two hobs you also often end up sharing a pan between two items. 31 cm is about the minimum for two people. 36 cm is better if you're multitasking in the pan.

As for pots, how about room for a big batch of pasta sauce? Steaming crabs? Gumbo? Where the heck does your pressure canner go? Even your 5l pressure cooker?

Lots of us do get it, but for entertainment
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 16:34   #258

Boat: Dragonfly 920 / 30 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
200AH = 200A=1C
1000w@ 240V is around 90A at 12V your inverter draws and that's 0.4C already plus everything else like fridges so 110A is realistic which is 0.55C. All good now
But you wrote your inverter is the bottleneck and you get a bigger one. In fact then your 200AH is the bottleneck, min 400A with budget LifePo4 needed to healthy run a fully electric galley.
The convection and microwave combo needs around 1500W and is the real difference and advantage to a gas oven where everything is black in the back while raw on the front and you cannot adjust any Temps and use a lot gas... And this runs for 20-30m straight putting a 120A load on the house for 30min straight. Plus using a burner from the stove, meat in the oven and making the side dishes like pasta, rice.... So you run 220A permanent for 10-15min plus normal loads so 240-250A.
You must be mistaking me with another boat. As you said, it's 0.4C-0.5C at peak, not regular consumption. So really not an issue at all with my current setup. Any future setup with larger inverter will involve various upgrades including larger battery and electric outboard.
Simon.Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 18:19   #259

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
On a boat with only two hobs you also often end up sharing a pan between two items. 31 cm is about the minimum for two people. 36 cm is better if you're multitasking in the pan.

As for pots, how about room for a big batch of pasta sauce? Steaming crabs? Gumbo? Where the heck does your pressure canner go? Even your 5l pressure cooker?
My 10l pressure canner is only 26cm across. My largest pan is 31 cm across at the top - it's cast iron, so any larger it would be pretty unwieldy. And it was used to feed a family of four. Maybe you won't cook the main and three sides for four in it, but it got the job done for most meals. The biggest hob on my stove at home is only 29cm across - you ain't going to get even heating putting a much larger pan on that. I've only seen larger pots and pans used in institutional/commercial kitchens.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 22:52   #260

My 16 qt pressure canner is about 33 cm across. I wish I had gotten the 23 qt canner so I could stack quarts two high. I can stack pints and process fourteen wide mouth in a batch in the 16 qt. My go-to pan is a deep covered saute that is 32 cm at the bottom. My biggest pan is 41 cm but doesn't often make it to the boat unless I'm specifically planning to make paella. I have two 8 qt stock pots that are 31 cm across the bottom. I usually use one of those at a time (pasta for example) but production cooking for canning or freezing I'll use both. Not every meal uses the big pots and pans. Homemade ramen for dinner tonight was in a little 3 qt pot just 21 cm across.

Over my two burner Eno gas cooker I can fit both stock pots at once. The canner is an easy fit. No problem maintaining even heating over the gas.

One of my cooking mentors told me that a good cook can cook anything, anywhere, with anything. I've certainly made do with some pretty minimalist stuff on deliveries. Owner's lie. "Gourmet galley" turns out to be small battered pots and pans with loose removable handles (overpriced at some boat show I expect), a dull too-small knife, and an Instant Pot (*shudder*). So sure you CAN. I do. But I feel strongly that sailing and specifically cruising is NOT camping.

Institutional/commercial cooking is interesting. You certainly see really big pots and pans in schools, cafeterias, banquet kitchens, and places with a buffet. I expect prisons also. *grin* In restaurants a lot of the pots and pans are small because they are cooking one portion at a time. They just have a LOT of small to moderate size pots and pans. And a flat top. I'd dearly love to have a boat big enough for a flat top. Lots of A/C. *grin* I have a story about working the kitchen in a Panama restaurant over a bank holiday weekend but I won't digress. Probably.
Old 04-09-2021, 00:51   #261

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Thanks, on a closer look it is a front and back cook top and the ceramic is top is 510 mm. the body is as you stated 495 mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 00:56   #262

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Many Thanks, the website is German? There is no English menu? It seems from my limited ability to understand German, the cook top maybe longer? But I'm not sure.

Quote:
You won't find 460mm,too small for 2 burners...
Smallest I found is around 51cm
https://www.testbericht.com/produkte...her-ct-3420-in
It fits on top of a gimbaled 3 burner ENO stove, just make a wooden top cover and place it on top. used it on my mono like this and now on my cat. Good thing is when running both burners at the same time it coordinates the bursts to be sequential to save energy and being 2500W not exceeding 10A both full throttle. Both on 7/10 is all you really need then you see 7A means 1500W. Really good one.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:39   #263

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Jeepers. Standard according to whom? International Association of Tiny Pans? Maybe if you're only feeding one. You'll crowd the pan and run into consistency problems, plus you'll make a mess.

So the induction advocates need special pans AND teeny ones. *sigh*
According to EU kitchens manufacturers association. The standard EU cooking top is 4burner and 58cm wide as the standard EU cabinet it is fitted in is 60cm wide. The majority of the build in tops produced are between 55-59.5cm wide on top. So the pans are adjusted to that and the mobil cooking tops take that into account too.
Go to ikea or your supermarket, the standard frying pan is 28cm, next size down is 24cm and then 20cm. Sure you get all forms and sizes but that's the standard sizes all produce.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:45   #264
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you are in the USA and are looking for 120V or 240V models at professional grade, then Cooktek is top of the line. I own a 3kW single drop-in cooktop but they also have portable single and double versions and for double even the choice between side by side or behind each other. They are big, for big pots.
See here: https://cooktek.com/wp-content/uploa...re_Low-Res.pdf

For more affordable units I recommend the top models of Duxtop. Here is a double version, but we have a single model: https://www.amazon.com/Duxtop-9620LS...s%2C235&sr=8-8

Our favorite cookware is an induction compatible water kettle (crazy fast at 3,000W), Le Creuset cast iron Dutch oven, Lodge cast iron frying pan and woks both steel and cast iron.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:56   #265

Quote:
Go to ikea or your supermarket, the standard frying pan is 28cm, next size down is 24cm and then 20cm. Sure you get all forms and sizes but that's the standard sizes all produce.
Here in the US things seem to be different. Ikea does indeed have 28 cm pans. Checking the main grocery stores we use, Amazon, WalMart, and a kitchen and bath warehouse store, 30.5 cm (12 in) comes up most often. You wouldn't think an inch makes a big difference but it is 18.7% more surface area which greatly reduces crowding in the pan.

Interestingly the 32 cm covered saute I use most often is Swiss (not EU, but machts nicht). They do have a 28 cm pan marketed for induction cooktops. My pan has over 30% more surface area.

For the record, I'm not a particularly large guy although I wouldn't mind dropping a couple of stone. When I make something with chicken for the two of us I usually butterfly one breast for us to share. We aren't talking about stereotypical American portions here. I do often cook for leftovers but that's still only four portions in the pan.

Also, while I usually convert back and forth between SI and Imperial in my head for "close enough" I've been calculating the conversions here to avoid confusion.

For those looking for ways to make fun of Americans, here is some help. https://www.coinjockmarina.com/wp-co...85-print-1.pdf This place is famous for their prime rib. Famous is not the same as good. Scroll down - the big one is 900 grams. It's just too much food.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:27   #266
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Another tangent into the electric galley
We recently bought this 5.8qt Cosori Air Fryer and love using it

Grest square design...it's Fast, intuitive, bakes consistently, fries crisp with little oil and easy to clean.....50/60Hz

https://youtu.be/HQo_QiwzrDE

https://youtu.be/tWEoYE_OUdg
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:28   #267

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

we have a 4 burner variable area induction hob with pan size recognition. it activates the are needed, you can move pots and pans around. Maybe a little too smart.

Big advantage on a integrated multi burner hob is, it optimises power usageby cycling through the zones, so you have a more even load distribution. Single independend burners may create significant spikes on yor inverter.
Old 04-09-2021, 16:55   #268

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
we have a 4 burner variable area induction hob with pan size recognition. it activates the are needed, you can move pots and pans around. Maybe a little too smart.

Big advantage on a integrated multi burner hob is, it optimises power usageby cycling through the zones, so you have a more even load distribution. Single independend burners may create significant spikes on yor inverter.
Your Neff or Siemens is 90cm wide if I remember it right, the biggest stove I saw in below 60ft cats and definitely not the norm
No way I can fit that in my 40ft Lavezzi cat (max width 56cm) and most others won't too.

Problem for most monos with electric galley is the gimbaled gas stove oven combo it has to replace seem to have a standard width of 460-480mm (ENO and alike) and you simply have max 50cm width.
For the stove you need 2 burner minimum to be practical and here is the problem, in EU 55-59.5 is standard, US even bigger from what other post.
Other 240V countries like Korea????
Smallest 2 burners side by side in 240V mobile so far are the 2 posted here with 50cm bottom but 51.5cm top...

For the oven that's not a problem, there are plenty microwave+convection oven options in 480mm available.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 20:30   #269

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Your Neff or Siemens is 90cm wide if I remember it right, the biggest stove I saw in below 60ft cats and definitely not the norm
No way I can fit that in my 40ft Lavezzi cat (max width 56cm) and most others won't too.

Problem for most monos with electric galley is the gimbaled gas stove oven combo it has to replace seem to have a standard width of 460-480mm (ENO and alike) and you simply have max 50cm width.
For the stove you need 2 burner minimum to be practical and here is the problem, in EU 55-59.5 is standard, US even bigger from what other post.
Other 240V countries like Korea????
Smallest 2 burners side by side in 240V mobile so far are the 2 posted here with 50cm bottom but 51.5cm top...

For the oven that's not a problem, there are plenty microwave+convection oven options in 480mm available.
Agree, inretrospective I would have rather fitted a standard residential 60cm 5 burner hob, but the fancy 90cm x 45cm is nice too. The problem is, you cannot replace it easily if there is a problem, standard sizes are easier to find. There are 2 and 3 burner compact kittchen hobs too btw.
Old 04-09-2021, 21:23   #270

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
How do you find the pan size recognition and smart activation of the heating area that is needed?

Do you find it works well?

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote