Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2019, 12:30   #16

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch
Re: Wow - Induction Cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We use two NuWave cooktops which can be purchased online or at Walmat for about $80 each. Walmart also has other kinds, we purchased two square units from them because they fit better on the 62 for about $89 each.
Wow. Great price. Thanks.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 12:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1033 View Post
I now find myself wondering if a thin steel plate placed between the induction cooker and an aluminium pan would also work. Does anybody know?

It does, but you just turned your induction cooktop into a standard resistive electric heating device. Except, very inefficient-and slow, plus can harm the induction element if you try to get it to work as fast as you are used to with induction. (Don’t ask how I know!)

We have had induction at home for many years, best pans are debuyer steel (IMO).

Don’t have it on the boat yet.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 13:47   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari View Post
The power source was not relevant to NFBR's experiment..
It may or may not be relevant to the OP's experiment, but it sure is relevant to me. Mains is not an option for me, so I am always keen to know how people are powering these things.

My electrical setup may be very close to being capable of running an induction cooker so if a small amount of extra capacity will get me over the line I would happily ditch the gas bottle on the stern.
Old 16-07-2019, 14:44   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

I like grilled cheese on toast to much to give up my gas grill.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 15:02   #20

The SUMMIT US branded used in some restaurants for fast heating. They have a two burner unit the SINC2B120 at 325 $US that is designed as a portable or a counter top mount. My concern is it can draw 20A at 115 VAC on high. I am also trying to eliminate vapor gases from the vessel. Since I don't know anyone with the Summit I probably will have to be the Ginnie Pig.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 16:05   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Ken and Stu, which units do y’all have? I would love to ditch the propane.

Mine's a Midea. I bought it locally in Port Moresby.

Similar, but not identical to this one:

https://us.midea.com/product/Small-A...duction-Cooker

That one is 1500W, mine (MD-STW2020) IS 2000w.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 17:18   #22

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I too am impressed with the induction cooktop. also, I purchased one stovetop, from Aldi as an experiment, since I’m researching the best value for money inverter about 2500 watt. I conducted my test with mains 240-volt power. I Have been very impressive I heat packaged soup in about 1.5 mins at 900 watts when on boil 30 sec, I reduced heat to 600 watts about a 1 min. Note this was a single-serve heated in a single-serve pot.

I see the potential to get rid of my kero stove and gas camper stove for use when moored - With an induction cooktop; Q), Is there an induction oven on the market I could only find Cook tops

As am about to try to install an Induction cooking on my boat, I have upgraded solar panels to 720 watts, and a new AGM battery bank House is 4 x 215 Ah = 860 Ah. 12-volt system.

Now I’m seeking an inverter solution for marine use, the question is which one? This is unless there is a 12-volt induction Cooktop or cooktop oven that someone can recommend?

I like to understand why the high cost of inverter brand like Victron (Very expensive) to same wattage inverters used in campervans and cars that are a 1/4th of the price of The Victron inverters. It seems you could burn out 4 inverters for the price of one Victron unit?
Does anyone have a recommendation which inverter I should install around 2500 to 3000 watts?
__________________________________________________ ______________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We’ve been using induction cooktops for six years, the reaction from those newly introduced seems universal....WOW!

We use nearly all solar for power generation via a 2500w inverter. Here’s some figures from last night generated for another thread:

Cook three fried eggs medium setting for five minutes: 2Ah

One fried steak on high for 5 minutes: 4Ah (would have been the same for two steaks)

Off subject: Nespresso machine used for 1 cup of coffee: .4Ah
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 17:24   #23

Boat: 75' Catalina 27

Quote:

I now find myself wondering if a thin steel plate placed between the induction cooker and an aluminium pan would also work. Does anybody know?
I'd wonder about doing it the OTHER way - what happens if you put a steel plate INSIDE the aluminum pan? That way you're not relying on conduction to move the heat from outside the pan to inside.

Obviously, it depends on what you're cooking and it'll be an extra thing to clean up, but I'd suspect it will work better than the other way around as far as the actual heating goes.
DreadPirateRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 17:25   #24

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
They work on induction, so, as far as I know, there has to be steel involved, as iron is magnetic. It could be a simple steel plate embedded in the bottom of an aluminium pan, for example.

Yeah, you can buy them with handles for that purpose at Amazon.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 17:26   #25

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Wow. Great price. Thanks.

The 1300W unit I ordered from Amazon had arrived when I got home from work just now. $69 including a skillet.
Old 16-07-2019, 17:32   #26

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Those diffuser plates work fine. They have nice handles and will allow the use of almost any pot with an induction stove. Cast iron cookware is inexpensive, virtually bombproof and work fine with induction. The flatter the bottom the better.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 17:35   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
It may or may not be relevant to the OP's experiment, but it sure is relevant to me. Mains is not an option for me, so I am always keen to know how people are powering these things.

My electrical setup may be very close to being capable of running an induction cooker so if a small amount of extra capacity will get me over the line I would happily ditch the gas bottle on the stern.

Since I am in the process of researching this I can tell you 2 things about the power source:
A. Needs to be a Pure Sine Wave inverter. Some will work with MSW inverters, some will kinda work and some pairs won’t work at all.
B. When the induction comes on some/most/all initially start at full power in order to sense the coupling to the pot and maybe to have a surge of heat to bring the active part up to temp faster. That means you probably don’t want to skimp on inverter capacity by thinking you’ll never turn it up to full power so you can get away with a 1500W inverter pushing an 1800w hotplate.

I’m going to be testing this this weekend. If I remember I’ll post here.
Old 16-07-2019, 17:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I too am impressed with the induction cooktop. also, I purchased one stovetop, from Aldi as an experiment, since I’m researching the best value for money inverter about 2500 watt. I conducted my test with mains 240-volt power. I Have been very impressive I heat packaged soup in about 1.5 mins at 900 watts when on boil 30 sec, I reduced heat to 600 watts about a 1 min. Note this was a single-serve heated in a single-serve pot.

I see the potential to get rid of my kero stove and gas camper stove for use when moored - With an induction cooktop; Q), Is there an induction oven on the market I could only find Cook tops

As am about to try to install an Induction cooking on my boat, I have upgraded solar panels to 720 watts, and a new AGM battery bank House is 4 x 215 Ah = 860 Ah. 12-volt system.

Now I’m seeking an inverter solution for marine use, the question is which one? This is unless there is a 12-volt induction Cooktop or cooktop oven that someone can recommend?

I like to understand why the high cost of inverter brand like Victron (Very expensive) to same wattage inverters used in campervans and cars that are a 1/4th of the price of The Victron inverters. It seems you could burn out 4 inverters for the price of one Victron unit?
Does anyone have a recommendation which inverter I should install around 2500 to 3000 watts?

Induction has no advantage over resistive heating for an oven. Both heat the air to completely surround the food and cook from all sides.

For boat use a small toaster oven may be sufficiently efficient, especially it you can insulate the box. Another option is a Convection oven. I’ll get to testing the oven options eventually.
Old 16-07-2019, 19:21   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post

Look at a Magnum, what drove me mostly to them was I’ve not heard of anyone having a failure, but if they did, the cards are easily trouble shot and relatively inexpensive.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 19:24   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Induction has no advantage over resistive heating for an oven. Both heat the air to completely surround the food and cook from all sides.

For boat use a small toaster oven may be sufficiently efficient, especially it you can insulate the box. Another option is a Convection oven. I’ll get to testing the oven options eventually.

If it’s low power usage your after look real hard at a micro convection, most stuff you cook in an oven will be cooked by microwave, the convection side browns of course.
The Sears one we had many years ago plugged into a regular 110V outlet of course, but would cook a Thanksgiving turkey in about 2 hours, where a regular oven drew at least twice as much power and took many hours longer.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote